News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Recent posts

Knife Sharpening / Re: SP-650 use on SJ-250
Last post by John Hancock Sr - Today at 12:58:59 AM
Quote from: khun on Yesterday at 10:13:19 PMComments under the video about how to use the SP-650 Stone Grader on Tormek's own website appear to disagree.

https://tormek.com/en/products/accessories/sp-650-stone-grader#h-Specsanddetails

"The fine side gives the surface of the stone up to about 1000 grit."

Your quote only relates to the SB and SG wheels.
When speaking in relation to the SJ wheel the description says
"You can also clean your SJ-250 Japanese Waterstone or SJ-200 Japanese Waterstone in the same way, but with the fine side of the SP-650 Stone Grader."
Which is exactly what has been said by me and others. Indeed the "stone grader" is really an old fashioned dressing stone that has the benefit of temporarily increasing the effective grit of a lower grit wheel.

As cbwx34 says, there are many paths leading to Rome and the grader is just one. Experiment with the various methods and settle on one which suites your purposes.
If you are going to get the KS-123 and use Tormeks adapter or a FVB having both the stock support and the extended one will save you some time. You rarely need the extra length but I have the longer bar set up on the grinding side and the stock wheel on the leather wheel side. This wat I don't have to move or adjust anything as I try and use the same projection distance when possible.
Last post by cbwx34 - Yesterday at 10:48:49 PM
It may "rough it up" a little, but the SJ stone is so soft, the affect would be short lived.  I would also add that they don't consider the SJ stone as having "adjustable grit".

However, although the Tormek website says you can use the 1000 side to clean the SJ stone, Tormek in one of their online videos recommends not using it at all...

https://www.youtube.com/live/0htKSoTBjoI?si=QxZbSzyv_tyW__7d&t=3121

Instead, they suggest to use a scotchbrite pad, or as tgbto said, a rust eraser (which is what I use also.)
Last post by khun - Yesterday at 10:13:19 PM
Comments under the video about how to use the SP-650 Stone Grader on Tormek's own website appear to disagree.

https://tormek.com/en/products/accessories/sp-650-stone-grader#h-Specsanddetails

"The fine side gives the surface of the stone up to about 1000 grit."
Quote from: Dutchman on May 20, 2024, 07:00:18 PMWhat I wrote in a previous message New angle jig KS-123
I had the pleasure of testing the new angle setter KS-123. It is based on ideas from Perra and meets all expectations.
Quote from my conclusion:
It's a wonderful tool, well designed and beautifully realized. I will definitely start using it. So no more 'Dutchman's tables', kenjigs, spreadsheets or apps on smart phones or tablets. End of an era that began on April 14, 2014 with my publication of "Simple adjustment of the grinding angle". It took 10 years, but now it can be even simpler and more accurate.

Attached is my test report in PDF file.
Dutchman, Thank you for a great review. I have one on order, should have it in a couple weeks.
General Tormek Questions / Re: US-103 & US-105 difference...
Last post by Swemek - Yesterday at 06:26:35 PM
Thanks for the info. The US-430 is extra lenght in all diections i suspect?

The diffrence in price makes it a strong "maybe in the future". I'm doing all my sharpening in my apartment and space is a limiting factor which also why i got the T4 instead of the bigger brother.
Knife Sharpening / Re: T4 Blackstone
Last post by jkSharp - Yesterday at 05:45:25 PM
Quote from: cbwx34 on Yesterday at 02:27:47 PMI can't find it now, but someone from Tormek posted that they had no plans to make an SB stone for the T-4.

Such a shame, I really love (minus the wobble) the black sic stones.
Knife Sharpening / Re: Sharpening knives, grindin...
Last post by Herman Trivilino - Yesterday at 03:58:32 PM
Quote from: Ken S on April 15, 2024, 11:39:50 PMHi, Herman. I am glad you posted. I assume your "homemade jig" is the famous "Herman's Homemade Small Platform" so familiar to the oldtime members of this forum. Sadly, your homemade jig may not be familiar to many of our newer members.

Thanks, Ken. Anyone can do a YouTube search using my name and easily find the video I posted many years ago. It shows the prototype, which I have refined a bit, but it gives the basic idea.

The main thing people need to understand is that you have to use the base of the scissors jig, because the tool rest leaves the knife too far away from the grindstone. The scissors jig base is still usable for sharpening scissors, you just have to remove the platform, which is easy to do.
Knife Sharpening / Re: T4 Blackstone
Last post by cbwx34 - Yesterday at 02:27:47 PM
Quote from: jkSharp on Yesterday at 12:09:22 AMThrough search I've only seen one or two posts on this over the years.

Long story short I desperately want a Blackstone equivalent for my T4 and the after market ones just don't cut it when it comes to Tormek and quality control.

Any chance they are going to release one? We already have 8in diamonds and Japanese wheels.

Would any T8 user be willing to sell/send me a worn down T8 Blackstone?

Thanks!

I can't find it now, but someone from Tormek posted that they had no plans to make an SB stone for the T-4.
General Tormek Questions / Re: US-103 & US-105 difference...
Last post by cbwx34 - Yesterday at 02:13:05 PM
I'll third the... if you can afford it, put the money toward a US-430.

Quote from: Swemek on Yesterday at 10:51:02 AM...
I can not not find out what the difference is between the two, all i could find was that the 103 weights 74 grams and the 105 72 grams. I know that 105 is for the larger models.

Quote from: Swemek on Yesterday at 11:38:34 AM...Also the weight spec on Tormeks site might be wrong also.

For a bit of trivia, I was too lazy to get an accurate reading, but the weight of the USBs was in the 500s.