News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

US-103 & US-105 difference?

Started by Swemek, May 23, 2024, 10:51:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swemek

Hi,

I can not not find out what the difference is between the two, all i could find was that the 103 weights 74 grams and the 105 72 grams. I know that 105 is for the larger models.

The reason for asking is i'm considering MB-102 for my T4 and would like to have a second US mainly for MB-102.

Can someone fill me in?

Thanks!

Swemek

I found this:

Quote from: Ken S on September 15, 2019, 12:09:24 AMI have found several uses for the universal support bars not directly mentioned in the handbook. My support bars are not limited to the standard issue US-105 (T7/8) or US-103(T3/4, 10mm shorter than the US-105).

In some swedish shops the US-103 costs more than 105 which doesn't make sense. Also the weight spec on Tormeks site might be wrong also.

tgbto

If you ever intend to sharpen knives, at least anything beyond short knives, I think a US-430 is well worth the price difference.

Ken S

The difference is to adjust to the difference in wheel thicknesses. The US-105 is designed for the 50mm thickness of the SG-250 and other 250mm diameter wheels. The US-103 is specifically designed for the 40mm thickness of the SG-200 and other T4 wheels. Many years ago, we had a forum post by a member whose chisel was falling off the edge of his support bar. He was using the shorter US-103 with the thicker SG-250 wheel.

I agree with TGB about the onger US-430 support bar. It is a must for knives longer than eight inches.

Ken

cbwx34

I'll third the... if you can afford it, put the money toward a US-430.

Quote from: Swemek on May 23, 2024, 10:51:02 AM...
I can not not find out what the difference is between the two, all i could find was that the 103 weights 74 grams and the 105 72 grams. I know that 105 is for the larger models.

Quote from: Swemek on May 23, 2024, 11:38:34 AM...Also the weight spec on Tormeks site might be wrong also.

For a bit of trivia, I was too lazy to get an accurate reading, but the weight of the USBs was in the 500s.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Swemek

Thanks for the info. The US-430 is extra lenght in all diections i suspect?

The diffrence in price makes it a strong "maybe in the future". I'm doing all my sharpening in my apartment and space is a limiting factor which also why i got the T4 instead of the bigger brother.

John_B

If you are going to get the KS-123 and use Tormeks adapter or a FVB having both the stock support and the extended one will save you some time. You rarely need the extra length but I have the longer bar set up on the grinding side and the stock wheel on the leather wheel side. This wat I don't have to move or adjust anything as I try and use the same projection distance when possible.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

Fredrik,
If you are working in a limited space, the "maybe in the future" argument seems logical. The standard US-103 support can handle knives with blades up to 200mm
(8 inches).

Ken

tgbto

Quote from: Ken S on May 24, 2024, 04:10:04 AMThe standard US-103 support can handle knives with blades up to 200mm (8 inches).

Ken

With very little wiggle room to choose where to clamp the knife, though.

Ken S

I agree. Anyone doing serious kitchen knife sharpening should not place a
US-430 too far in the future. I was active in the user movement to revive the out of production US-400 (essentially an extended support without the extension of the side legs).Tormek agreed to produce a limited number of US-400s, which quickly sold out. Tormek eventually included the US-430 as part of the line. Even today, while the US-103 and 105 are included with every Tormek, the US-430  remains a small production item. I believe this is the reason for the large price difference.

Ken

tgbto

Ken, I understand your point.

But again, I think this is one of the points where the fact still shows, that knife sharpening is what I call an afterthought for Tormek.

Maybe they should think of a "Premium Knife Sharpening Edition", with the knife jigs, new angle setter instead of the AngleMaster, MB-102 and US-430 instead of US-10x.

Ken S

Nick,

I like your Premium Knife Sharpening Edition idea.

As an old woodworker who only sharpened chisels and plane irons, I agree with your idea that knives were somewhat of an afterthought, as long as the word "somewhat" is included. After all, the original Tormek idea was a Christmas present from Torgny to his father, who was a woodworker.

I also think it is fair to say that the blue "woodworking machines" are evolving greatly for knife sharpening, especially with the new KS-123 and KJ-45.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: tgbto on May 24, 2024, 04:47:31 PMKen, I understand your point.

But again, I think this is one of the points where the fact still shows, that knife sharpening is what I call an afterthought for Tormek.

Maybe they should think of a "Premium Knife Sharpening Edition", with the knife jigs, new angle setter instead of the AngleMaster, MB-102 and US-430 instead of US-10x.

And of course a redesign (or return) to a more knife specific machine...

... one need only look at the post count in this forum to see where the interest lies. ;)

p.s.  If you live in France, there's a T-4000 on eBay...  ::)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RichColvin

Both have legs which are 145mm long.  The difference is in the top bar

• US-105 = 305mm
  • US-103 = 295mm

As noted, the US-103 is 10mm shorter to accommodate the 200mm grindstone which is 10mm thinner than the 250mm grindstone.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

RickKrung

Quote from: RichColvin on May 24, 2024, 09:24:47 PMBoth have legs which are 145mm long.  The difference is in the top bar

• US-105 = 305mm
  • US-103 = 295mm

As noted, the US-103 is 10mm shorter to accommodate the 200mm grindstone which is 10mm thinner than the 250mm grindstone.

10mm difference in length???

250mm - 200mm = 50mm
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.