News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Recent posts

Knife Sharpening / Re: thoughts on SVM and KJ kni...
Last post by VijayDoshi - Today at 07:37:04 AM
Hi folks,

I've developed a retrofit for the KJ-45 to make it more like the SVM. If you, like me are frustrated with the KJs, take a look! I also made the shaft longer and used a standard vs ACME thread.

https://magnoliaknife.com/products/tormek-kj-45-adjustable-retrofit
I purchased my T8, a few extra wheels, just about every jig TORMEK makes, and a few other supplies from Sharpening Supplies over the past couple years and have always been very happy with the customer service there. My first T8 arrived with a cracked case, they had replacement on the way right away.
Knife Sharpening / Re: How to achieve less than 1...
Last post by 3D Anvil - Yesterday at 08:06:24 PM
I think it's quite possible to get a 15 dps edge to 100 BESS or lower using the SG wheel and leather wheel with PA-70.

Best to keep it simple.  We know there are two components to sharpening:

1) Apex the edge.  Can you feel a burr all long the edge after your final pass on one side, and then on the other side?  If so, the SG wheel has done its job.

2) Remove the burr.  This is the hard part when it comes to getting very low BESS scores.  You can get sub-optimal results if you:

a. Don't remove all of the burr, which can happen if you are honing at too low an angle, or if you don't hone enough.

b. Round the apex by honing at too high of an angle, or apply too much pressure when honing.

Freehand honing on the leather wheel is definitely something that takes some practice and muscle memory to perfect.  You can work around that by using a front vertical base to hone with a jig, or keep practicing! 

I would suggest marking the edge before you start honing so you have a better idea where the bevel is hitting.  It's also helpful to use some kind of magnification to give you a better idea what's happening. 

Lastly, I think it helps to minimize the burr as much as possible before you go to the leather wheel.  One way to do that is to do a couple very quick, very light alternating passes on the sharpening stone.

Wootz's method generally involved honing at higher angles before finishing at the sharpening angle, depending on the steel involved.
Last post by Ken S - Yesterday at 03:46:20 AM
Nick,

You make some good points. Like you, I believe one of the most useful functions of BESS testing in detecting minute residual burr which needs to be removed. I've known Mike Brubacher, the "B" in BESS, for many years through email. Mike is a really nice, helpful guy.

I have thought about purchasing a PT50A because of its 1 gram accuracy. So far, I have tabled that decision. My early version of the PT50B with 5 gram accuracy is more than enough for me. In fact, the 25 gram accuracy of the PT50C will detect residual burr problems. (For a shapener thinking of buying a BESS tester, I recommend at least the B model.)

Ken
General Tormek Questions / Re: Newbie here....
Last post by guitar_edg - Yesterday at 03:46:04 AM
I'm counting my chisels, planes, scissors, and kitchen knives that need to be sharpened.

I will be busy for a while.

My wife has some Cuisinart knives.  I figure I can use them for practice without really hurting anything.  Is there a possibility that I could actually sharpen them?

Take care,

edg
Last post by John Hancock Sr - Yesterday at 12:57:08 AM
Quote from: guitar_edg on May 13, 2024, 11:22:39 PMBDay on Wednesday, so I can't open it until then

Nice. If you are anything like me then the first few weeks you will be busy sharpening.
Last post by guitar_edg - May 13, 2024, 11:22:39 PM
They lied.  It's here a day early.  :)

BDay on Wednesday, so I can't open it until then.  So 2 days to watch the videos.

Take care,

edg
Last post by tgbto - May 13, 2024, 02:40:24 PM
To me there is a world between 150 BESS and 100 BESS, and another one (maybe two) between 100 BESS and 50 BESS. I have never gotten to 50 BESS, but the standard SG/PA-70-on-leather setup gives me consistently 90-110 BESS with 15 dps, and 85-100 BESS with 12.5 dps.

150 BESS happens in a few situations that I can think of :
- Knives made out of junk (soft) steel. They can't be sharpened at an acute angle and an obtuse angle yields poor results anyway.
- Partially honed knives. There is a burr or some plastified metal left, so they have to be honed some more.
- Medium quality steel finished with chromium oxide or diamond spray on felt wheel. I could never figure for the life of me why it would degrade BESS readings, but it does, probably because of poor technique. The readings get back to 100ish if I hone them again on the leather wheel. This phenomenon doesn't happen on 63+ HRC steel.

So I wouldn't loose courage if I were you, I would try to hone a bit more than you usually do, and remember Vadim's results that low initial BESS is not a significant factor in edge retention. Steel quality and edge angle are, though. I also find that SG edges tend to retain their cutting ability longer than SJ edges.

General Tormek Questions / Re: best time to apply honing ...
Last post by Ken S - May 13, 2024, 05:39:41 AM
One of the first things I did with my T4 was to upgrade the plain nut securing the leatherhoning wheel with a "quick connect" as supplied with the T7/8. I did this to be able to clean off the excess honing compound which had spun off the leather honing wheel. (To be perfectly honest the problem was operator technique rather than a machine defect.) For those on a quest to find a cheaper honing compound, an easy answer might be not to waste PA-70 by using too much.

I think he granular size breakdown of PA-70 can be advantageous. The granules start larger during the initial rougher stages and become smaller, finer as the honing becomes smoother.

I find it encouraging that the same fingers (Dutchman's) which when used first with a calculator and later a computer to give us his grinding tables, the ancestor of all of our sharpening apps, also smooth out honing compound. Dutchman, you truly are a man for all seasons.

I am pleased that as a forum we can both think independently and benefit from sharing our ideas.

Ken
Quote from: John_B on May 12, 2024, 07:13:31 PMI do not use the paste very often and it seems to work fine

Remember that the grit in the paste will wear down quit rapidly so the best technique is little and often rather than a lot and seldom.