News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Oh Dear!

Started by Rob, July 06, 2016, 07:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

This topic illustrates the importance of registering your Tormek. The procedure is quick and painless. It can be done online from tormek.com. I suggest also carefully filing the sales receipt or taping it to the inside cover of the handbook.

Fortunately my first Tormek was registered. I was packing to move when it was stolen in a break in. I emailed Tormek. They promptly emailed me the serial number for the police report.

It would appear that this customer neglected to perform any recommended maintenance. This is certainly covered in the handbook. As much as I personally value and rely on the handbook, I realize that written material pertains to an earlier era. Today's world is the world of youtube. Whereas the handbook was written by Torgny Jansson, inventor and leading expert on the Tormek, a youtube is likely to be made by Joe Sixpack on his porch. The factual information may be questionable, however, it has the expertise of "as seen on youtube".

One of Tormek's former competitors produced an hour long instructional video with a leading expert teacher. Tormek needs to enter the fray with an in depth instructional video. The Tormek turner's info package contains an outstanding in depth video. This excellence needs to be expanded to general use.

Ken

Ken S

Well done, WolfY!

The next time I need my Tormek serviced, I will call you! :)

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: jeffs55 on July 21, 2016, 01:53:38 PM
While I am sure the zinc being metal must be an upgrade the truth is that zinc is so cheap that we make pennies with it.

I doubt that it's pure zinc. More likely it's an alloy chosen not only because of its cost, but also ability to be machined to specs and its durability.

My plastic drive wheel has been in use in my garage for almost 14 years. Although it never freezes in the winter, it gets plenty hot and humid during our way-too-long summers here on the Texas gulf coast. It shows no signs of wear.

Origin: Big Bang

Rob

I've pondered the cause of the failure of mine because my Tormek gets infrequent use, is almost never moved and I'm always careful about tightening components with screw threads or rather avoiding over tightening them.  It is an unusual failure for sure.
Best.    Rob.

Herman Trivilino

Rob, it could be the cold weather. Does it ever freeze in your shop?
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

The comment about zinc being an inexpensive material reminds me of a photographic enlarger made by Leitz, the Leica company, many years ago. Like everything Leitz, it was top drawer and priced accordingly. The light diffuser was criticized because it looked like a styrofoam cup. The criticism was true, however, after researching the issue, the Leitz engineers found the styrofoam cup look alike was the best performer.

From what I have seen of Tormek zinc, it also works very well.

Ken

WolfY

Thanks Rob, Jeff55, Ken and others,

Great to wake up early in the morning reading this forum and the nice words from you.

Rob, living in Sweden for long probably shaped the way I think ;)

Ken, I will be happy to service you, so call me next time. Mmmmm don't forget to send the fare tickets cuz the 20 min drive to you, is only to the airport :P
Giving an advice is easy.
Accepting an advice is good.
Knowing which advice is worth adopting and which not, is a virtue.

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: WolfY on July 22, 2016, 06:02:35 AM

Tormek got a good name from the client point of view too.

So "free" service isn't so bad after all.

Win win to all.
Now, you should have brought a camera.  Education is the most important part of what you provided.  The warranty service secondary, in my opinion.  My thoughts were, were the same people working that originally bought the machine?  How many "new" employee's, have never seen the video's? (and where IS the dvd)

Years ago, there was a man known as Mr. Sawdust that taught and sold Radial arm saws (Dewalt, specifically).  Now the only training for power tools, are paper manuals, that have gone though writers, then probably legal, then checkers, then legal again, etc.  Because so many companies are worried about liability of having someone demo something with a bad habit.

With the cracked drive wheel issue, I do wonder if it is similar to cooking.  Either not thoroughly mixed plastic, before pouring, improperly cured, or just a thin point that broke.  (basically flukes)

Ken, I still wonder if Tormek ever runs your old number, through their database, to see if anyone has entered that number to download a user manual.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

WolfY

WolfY asked me to post for him that he is having a log in problem and will not be able to post again until after Tormek returns from holiday August 8. (Ken, moderator)

Thanks ken for posting this for me. Got my forum life back today thanks to Juhani.
Giving an advice is easy.
Accepting an advice is good.
Knowing which advice is worth adopting and which not, is a virtue.

Ken S

WolfY,

No problem. I'll just have Sweden put your flights and travel expenses on my corporate forum moderator credit card. (In my dreams. :) )

SADW, I have never expcted Tormek to do anything more with my stolen serial number. Most companies do not want to get involved with legal situations.  I can understand this. I would be surprised if anyone else could register that serial number as it had been reported stolen.

By the way, I agree with you about most product manuals. They seem to be written by the legal staff. I do think the Tormek handbook is a notable exception to this. While I would like to see more training videos and seminars, I can't fault the handbook.

Ken

Hatchcanyon

My company had once the situation that a notebook computer was stolen. We registered the serial number with the manufacturer (Toshiba) and approximately a year later we got a message from a police department that this computer was sent to Toshiba for repair. The thief was caught.

Rolf
German with a second home in the American Southwestern Desert - loves Old England too.

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: Hatchcanyon on July 24, 2016, 12:04:15 PM
My company had once the situation that a notebook computer was stolen. We registered the serial number with the manufacturer (Toshiba) and approximately a year later we got a message from a police department that this computer was sent to Toshiba for repair. The thief was caught.

Rolf

Relative in property crimes, so I have heard lots of these stories (some companies better to work with then others).  For the most part it is a one time programming thing,  similar to the database searches for recalls, where they drop the serial number (or other number like manufacture date, in the case of recalls), into a database search program.
That doesn't mean they haven't and you don't know about it, it also doesn't mean (haven't tried it) that they keep the serial number of those trying to register for a manual (since early ones didn't have one).
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Rob

Quote from: Herman Trivilino on July 23, 2016, 01:53:49 AM
Rob, it could be the cold weather. Does it ever freeze in your shop?

That's an insightful point Herman, I hadn't thought of that. It certainly gets cold here in the winters, I mean it's not like Sweden and Northern Europe generally but we certainly can get down to the low minus figures (Celsius) on occasions.  I have a max/min thermometer in my workshop and I've never seen it at zero.  I've seen it below 5 degrees C many times so I guess that may have contributed to a more brittle nature of the plastic.  Who knows??
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

I recall reading about cracked drive wheels from time to time. The frequency is rare enough to make me think that while the possibility of a cracked drive wheel does exist, it does not seem like a common problem. It has apparently been enough of a problem for Tormek to absorb the expense of redesigning it. I have the feeling that the cracked wheel situation, like the rusted shaft situation, will gradually subside as more users have the newer parts.

Ken

Rob

I'm sure you're right Ken.  I do hope I get a zinc one shipped
Best.    Rob.