News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T-8 Now Available from Advanced Machinery

Started by Herman Trivilino, July 26, 2016, 04:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman Trivilino

I got an email message this morning from Advanced Machinery announcing that the T-8 is now available for shipping. The price is $699.

They are also announcing the SVS-38, which a newer version of the SVS-32, the Short Tool Jig. The price is $33.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Thanks for posting this, Herman.

I received the same email today. Note, the T8 price of $699 is the correct list price. Advanced Machinery offers free shipping for orders over $100 (US). For anyone thinking of purchasing a T8 in the US, List price with no extra cost for shipping from an authorized Tormek dealer is the Tormek "gold standard".

I have no financial interest in Advanced Machinery or any other Tormek dealer. I just like to see our members treated fairly. This deal is fair treatment.

The SVS-38 has been around for a while. I am puzzled as to why it would appear as a new product. It is now zinc, and accommodates a larger (38mm) tool. While I believe most users are ably served with their older SVS-32 jigs, I would recommend anyone purchasing a jig choose the newer model.

Ken

RobinW

Two large Tormek distributers in the UK have had the T8 kit available for some time, and the prices here are:-

Basic kit   £500  >> $655

Basic kit plus hand too HTK706 £630   >>$825

basic kit plus woodturners TNT708 £700   >>$917

Basic plus kit plus HTK706 +TnT708 £850   >>$1114

I have used a conversion rate of £1 = $1.31 as per today's rate

At least the price shown by Herman is not too far from what we would pay. Maybe that's because it is coming from Sweden.

One thing we usually have to endure here in UK, is that US tools/iPad/phones etc  are typically 40% more than they cost in the USA. ie the numbers in dollars is what we pay in pounds.

A year ago I had to tell Deneb Puchalski of Lie Nielsen that there was no way I could justify buying their great tools at UK prices.

A few years ago, when Lie Nielsen bought out their progressively toothed handsaw, a friend in Scotland ordered one from the USA. His wife said she would treat him to the tool for his birthday. He didn't have the heart to tell her how much the customs duty and VAT levy which was later added - it was almost the same as the purchase price of the saw!

Ken S

Robin, your post makes me think.

When we consider the total cost of a new Tormek today, including whatever is tacked on by various governments, it is easy to understand the popularity of the SuperGrind, long since paid for. :)

In addition to the actual price of any product itself, The other factor is how secure our employment is.

I would be curious to know how much of the cost of a new Tormek is customs duty and other governmental charges.

All this makes me want to be sure that what I purchase will be good quality and designed to last the distance.

Ken

RobinW

Ken

Following your view about through life investment, I might raise some eyebrows with the following statement.

I haven't used my T7 for three months, and it was possibly a month or two before that for its previous outing.
(Yet I look on the Forum every day - and there are some clever contributors!)

So whilst I have a lot of money tied up in the T7, I have a facility which allows me to sharpen my planes and chisels, and the odd turning gouge, quickly, accurately and to a better standard than my previous waterstone methods without the pains in my finger joints etc.. So I consider it a very sound investment and has more than adequately paid me back. (I usually save up the various tools and have an intensive sharpening session.)

I have just paid out for a multi-tool (oscillating head type cutting tool) -a nice expensive manufacturer. I thought about buying one for months, tried various manufacturers etc, and then took the plunge. I had two specific jobs in mind, which in the cold light of day one would question the expenditure and value of return. However those jobs were quickly achieved, and in the last few days I have found several more uses and it has performed well and said me a load of time. So I am now at the stage where I have told my wife that I consider it has paid itself off. Not only that she wants a shot for something she has in mind!

It's like the ideas which come up on the Forum, - imagination, trial and effort, calculation win through, and new ways of tackling things are evolved.

Regarding one's employment position, a lot of my working life was clouded with threats of being paid off, and I went through a few redundancies. That really focuses one's mind especially when trying to keep a roof over, and feed a family. I certainly couldn't justify a Tormek in those days as it was not a job requirement!

Ken S

Robin,

I completely agree that tools like the Tormek are a longterm investment. As with stocks and mutual funds, the real money ("smart money") is made by buying quality and letting the dividends come in.

Good tools last a long time. Many of my tools are older than I am. Unfortunately, in a home shop environment, poorly made tools last a long time, too. I have owned two bandsaws. One was a Sears saw my grandfather purchased in the 1930s for $15. It had sentimental value for me. In truth, it never worked well, either for me or my grandfather. Twenty years ago, I bought a Delta bandsaw. I took a class on how to use it with Mark Duginske. It is a joy to use. In the 1930s, it would have cost $49. However, the Depression was a risky time to spend $49. I eventually donated the Sears saw to Goodwill.

Like you, pain in my hands was a factor in deciding to purchase a Tormek. I liked it well enough to purchase an identical new replacement when it was stolen. (I had no contents insurance on the house while moving, so both Tormeks were out of pocket.) I did not replace several of the other stolen tools.

I don't recall price complaints from the SuperGrind members of the forum. I'm sure at the time, the cost of a SuperGrind was as much in real money as a new T8 is today. As the grinding wheel gradually becomes years of sharp tools, cost does not seem as important. Sadly, I do not think many woodworkers, including many professionals, ever experience truly sharp tools.

Robin, the facility you have with being able to use your Tormek probably did not develop overnight. Like many of us, you have probably spent many hours over the years working with oilstone, water stone, and overheated some tools with a dry grinder. I still have my sharpening stones and dry grinder.. I could use them more skillfully today than before. I do use my handfiles more than occasionally. A few quick strokes with a file quickly dispatches many jobs. Most sharpening is just easier with the Tormek.

For some reason, the Tormek is one of those products popularly bashed as being too expensive by day to day experts. In the machine shop trades, the real experts do not bash Starrett tools; they buy them once and use them for their working lives. My old Delta tilting table saw (ca1931) will still be in service long after I am gone. So will our Tormeks.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on July 26, 2016, 06:39:09 PM
The SVS-38 has been around for a while. I am puzzled as to why it would appear as a new product.

Marketing, Ken. Marketing.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Where would we be without marketing? :)

Actually, that is not a fair comment. Legitimate marketing is what keeps our economy moving.

Ken

Ken S

I noticed that Highland Woodworking has the same advertised price for the T8, $699 and free shipping. I am sure there are many other reputable dealers. It is essential to find a reliable dealer.

Ken