News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

The new SE-77 Square Edge Jig

Started by Dakotapix, July 20, 2016, 10:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: Hatchcanyon on July 24, 2016, 06:32:56 PM
Quote from: Jan on July 23, 2016, 08:46:22 PM
Hatchcanyon, I am wondering if the edge of your mortise chisel is square.  ;)

Me too looking at the picture!

Don't know why it looks that way. Got the chisel again and measured it with a small precision square from Richard Kell (England). It looks pretty square but making an appropriate picture of it is more difficult than making the tool square.  ;)

Use the square at the change in bevel point.  That to me is what is making it look unsquare (not a straight line across it).
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Dakotapix

Just one final installment on my use of the SE-77 jig. I took delivery yesterday of a Type 11 Stanley no. 5 Jack Plane from eBay. It's in nice shape for one this old (1910-1918 manufactured). The cutter edge had a serious nick and was not square. Because of the nick I first ground that away with the blade set against the right hand stop and then reset it on the jig's center line to achieve a camber. Five minutes later I was done and moved over to my Arkansas stones. Using a side to side motion on a Washita stone I ground for about 30 seconds until I formed a burr, removed that and then used the same process on a translucent stone, finishing on a piece of hardwood with green compound on it.

The purpose of this post is to simply describe that once one gets accustomed to the peculiarities of this jig, it can get pretty automatic with use. Thanks for reading.

By the way, I bought a turkey baster at Walmart a couple days ago. ;)

Ken S

Well done!

Those nice old Stanley planes are real troopers, and, properly tuned, Certainly hold their own with today's offerings. Besides, I have a totally irrational belief that old tools retain the wisdom of past users. I love using century tools.

You have developed a useful routine with your new square edge jig. I believe your technique will continue to grow.

Please keep us posted with your thoughts with the "new" Stanley, the jig and the turkey baster.

Ken