News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Oh Dear!

Started by Rob, July 06, 2016, 07:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

Thanks for posting everyone, some really helpful bytes in there.

So given I bought mine in 2009, maybe it does have the stainless shaft??

I'm not a frequent wheel changer so there really is no benefit to having the ezylock technology.  In fact the last time I changed the wheel (to the blackstone) was in 2010!

So I'm thinking I should do the following:

1) Order the drive wheel under warranty (already contacted the UK dealer from whom I bought and have the receipt).
2) Order a new locking pin and nylon bearings at the same time.

Am I missing anything here?

Thanks again folks
R
Best.    Rob.

SharpenADullWitt

It certainly should have the stainless shaft.  In 2006, but I don't know month, the swap happened.  With the color change in 2007 as well as all the other improvements and the new at the time, SE-76 jig, they named it T-7.
From what I have seen, it appears it was originally a Tormek Supergrind, until 2000, when the 2000 designation came into being.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Rob,

I cannot imagine the EZYlock shafts being hard to find in the future. A new drive wheel and locking pin will get you back up and runninng. New bushings can 't hurt. Get what you need and make a note to reevaluate the EZYlock sometime in 2020.  :)

Ken

Rob

Best.    Rob.

Rob

Well, happily I can report that the dealer where I bought my Tormek has discussed the situation with the importer and agreed its covered by warranty....yay :-)
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Rob,

I am very pleased to hear that! Pleased, but not surprised. I expect that level of commitment from Tormek. I have had the opportunity of talking about customer commitment on several occasions with both Stig and several members of Affinity Tool, the US importer. I have asked very directed questions about warranty policy. These conversations have always left me convinced of Tormek's commitment to customer satisfaction.

Ken

jeffs55

Quote from: Rob on July 21, 2016, 11:27:33 AM
Well, happily I can report that the dealer where I bought my Tormek has discussed the situation with the importer and agreed its covered by warranty....yay :-)
You want to hear about "covered under warranty"? This drive wheel was a piece of plastic and is now upgraded to a zinc casting. While I am sure the zinc being metal must be an upgrade the truth is that zinc is so cheap that we make pennies with it. In the end, all Tormek does is ship a new drive wheel and the customer installs it. Good for them to honor a warranty that they expressed or implied as they say in legalese. Now, my example of superlative customer service and this is common throughout the firearms industry EXCEPT with SIG Sauer. Years ago, I had a Smith and Wesson model 29 and disassembled it for cleaning. I mean that I took it apart down to the frame as I always did. Well, I clutzed up somehow and broke the trigger pin from the frame. This was a nickel plated gun and had some use on it, you know hairline scratched but nothing through the finish. To replace the pin would create an ugly flaw in the plating on that side of the gun as it was a press fit part through the metal. Well, Smith replaced the pin and REFINISHED the entire gun. They returned the gun at NO charge.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Jan

Jeffs55, thanks for sharing this interesting story with a happy ending.  :)

Was it entirely your fault? I have read several posts concerning broken pins of S&V revolvers. I am no more sure about the model, but probably 29-7 which came with several changes into production in 1998.  ;)

Jan

jeffs55

Quote from: Jan on July 21, 2016, 04:23:43 PM
Jeff55, thanks for sharing this interesting story with a happy ending.  :)

Was it entirely your fault? I have read several posts concerning broken pins of S&V revolvers. I am no more sure about the model, but probably 29-7 which came with several changes into production in 1998.  ;)

Jan
29-2 model and it was entirely my fault. I forced the trigger onto the pin when it was not aligned properly. This was more than 30 years ago and I still have the gun.

Jan

OK Jeffs55, it is a famous six-shot revolver, one of the most powerful handguns.
Your model was introduced in 1961!  :)

Jan

jeffs55

It is a beautiful nickel plated version of the gun Dirty Harry used except his was blued and six inch barrel, mine is 8 3/8 inch barrel. Truly a powerful handgun, Harry said "it will blow your head clean off". I do not know about that but it sure would make a mess. Depends on the ammunition used. I once shot a squirrel in the front shoulder and it exited near his hind end. The bullet was a hard cast lead projectile and did not expand in his soft tissue at all. I used to be big into firearms and at that time cast my own bullets, usually from a lead alloy known as linotype. There was simply a hole end to end in the squirrel.

Rob

I bet he didn't eat many nuts after that  :o
Best.    Rob.

WolfY

Quote from: jeffs55 on July 21, 2016, 01:53:38 PM
Quote from: Rob on July 21, 2016, 11:27:33 AM
You want to hear about "covered under warranty"? This drive wheel was a piece of plastic and is now upgraded to a zinc casting. While I am sure the zinc being metal must be an upgrade the truth is that zinc is so cheap that we make pennies with it. In the end, all Tormek does is ship a new drive wheel and the customer installs it. Good for them to honor a warranty that they expressed or implied as they say in legalese.

As you know or not :) I'm importer of Tormek in Israel. 2 weeks ago a shop called me and asked for new SG-250. They bought their T-7 from another importer here at the time I wasn't importer. Lucky them they had the receipt in the drawer and we could confirm it was bought Oct. 2010. As they are only 20 min drive from me I suggested I'd visit them. Lucky them ;) that I visited.

Bothe nylon bearings where in so bad shape that I don't understand how they worked. Stone was oval and with diagonal plan. Taking the leather wheel off, showed crack on the drive wheel and the leather was dry as they didn't use it at all. In fact they used the machine on a high bench and sharpened free handed. honing they did with high speed bench grinder.
So I stayed there and gave then some sharpening lessons and advices. Ordered new nylon bearings and drive wheel. Tormek sent it same day I sent them mail. Didn't even have to wait for next shipment. Thanks Wolfgang ;) my regional manager.

To summarize: They asked for SG-250 and got "full" service under warranty that they probably would miss. I got new happy client and some selling as they bought the SG-250 and some jigs. They will also recomend me to other Tormek users or shops that might buy one.

Tormek got a good name from the client point of view too.

So "free" service isn't so bad after all.

Win win to all.
Giving an advice is easy.
Accepting an advice is good.
Knowing which advice is worth adopting and which not, is a virtue.

Rob

Customer bases have a habit of growing when the business that service them aim to keep them happy by helping them to solve problems where they have domain expertise.  It's not rocket science is it, it's called "adding value" and yet you'd be amazed at how many businesses I encounter where the philosophy is "Bodge it & Scarper"!

Tormek, have never been one of those, in fact all Scandinavian companies I've ever dealt with have been staffed by delightful, forward thinking, warm and friendly people who are a pleasure to work with.  I really like Scandinavian culture.

I once had the Managing Director of a Norwegian software company play an electric guitar riff on a conference call with me after we'd (jointly) won a major order from a Scottish based oil customer, by way of celebration.  We did have a laugh in those days :-)
Best.    Rob.

jeffs55

Once again, this is so simple it is beyond belief. There is a saying in America that goes something like this. "It takes 1,000 'atta boys' to erase one 'you're an idiot". What this means is that if you do one small thing right, as WolfY did, then you will get a reward far out of proportion to your initial sacrifice. HOWEVER, if you do the same small thing wrong; you will also be rewarded proportionately. Thank you WolfY for going the extra 20 minutes.