News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

tech support? a question for the moderator or tormek

Started by Ken S, July 23, 2014, 02:45:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Kenny's scenario is an example of situation where a Tormek owner really needs to spend some time with someone in "tech support".  Half a day with someone with factory training and/or a lot of Tormek experience would save the day.  Does Tormek have such a network of trained people? If so, how would a customer get in touch with the people in charge of the program who could set up an appointment for him?

In this particular case, waiting until Sweden is through holiday August 4 is not an answer.  Who would one call for real help?  By real help I don't mean a clerk who can look up SKU numbers and sympathize, but someone who knows the Tormek when it is working well and when either the Tormek or the customer needs some tweaking. 

The forum can help through many things, but sometimes a person needs to have an expert looking over his shoulder.

Ken

RobinW

What a cracking point Ken.

Look at the regular contributors to the forum, certainly fro  the UK and USA, most of who I would suggest are retired from their main careers, and could well be the basis of a formal network, should Tormek wish to invest a bit (effort/finance/facility/promotion).

Rob

Stig has suggested that users with major problems like Kenny's can be helped through digital means for example using facetime or maybe even Skype for direct video contact.  Regrettably the timing couldn't be worse given the Scandinavian holiday ritual each year.

Can I suggest that one of the US based forum members hooks up a Skype call with Kenny and helps the poor bloke out before he has a heart attack.  Am I to assume this massive qty of tools is for a school or college department in recess or some such, hence the need to get loads done to a deadline?

Preferably the coach will have access to a laptop with built in camera and decent lighting.
Best.    Rob.

Herman Trivilino

QuoteKenny's scenario is an example of situation where a Tormek owner really needs to spend some time with someone in "tech support".

While I don't dismiss the idea out of hand, I think it much more likely that you would find this training available from the dealers rather than Tormek itself.  For example Woodcraft carries the Tormek line in their stores along with grindstones and probably some other supplies and jigs.  They conduct workshops in various wood crafting skills as a promotion.  They may be able to carry out these workshops on site with some support from Tormek.  It's a good idea worth pursuing.

Craftsmen need to keep their tools sharp!
Origin: Big Bang

Rob

Longer term I agree training is the right solution but Kenny has an acute short term problem with a deadline looming.  What he needs is a different service, what I used to call in the software industry, "at elbow support".  If that can be done digitally then no one has to travel and just 1 hour should deal with it.  Someone in the USA should stump up and volunteer.
Best.    Rob.

kennyk

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.   I've got a feeling that our IT policies here won't allow skype or other similar.  The school itself is in a black hole for mobile/cell reception too.  I had to hold the phone in one spot long enough to upload a couple of pictures to photobucket, as that's blocked as well... The point is that despite these IT obstacles, I managed to circumvent them and get some pictures into the other thread!

I'm hopeful that someone will recognise the grinding pattern I'm getting and be able to pinpoint the trouble.

Rob

ah right....you need to do this during working hours because that's where the Tormek is?  Cant you just take it home in the evening?
Best.    Rob.

kennyk

possibly, yes.  I don't have a home workshop at present, so it's weather dependent as I'll have to use the patio! 

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: Herman Trivilino on July 23, 2014, 03:09:08 PM
QuoteKenny's scenario is an example of situation where a Tormek owner really needs to spend some time with someone in "tech support".

While I don't dismiss the idea out of hand, I think it much more likely that you would find this training available from the dealers rather than Tormek itself.  For example Woodcraft carries the Tormek line in their stores along with grindstones and probably some other supplies and jigs.  They conduct workshops in various wood crafting skills as a promotion.  They may be able to carry out these workshops on site with some support from Tormek.  It's a good idea worth pursuing.

Craftsmen need to keep their tools sharp!

Then you will end up with the woodcraft two step.
I went to a sharpening class, after I bought my Tormek, but was going to by the jigs I was missing from them.  It SPECIFICALLY mentioned being taught on a Tormek, and they never even came close to that (was more of a things need to be sharp and here are our bench stones lecture).
I didn't buy anything from them and ended up getting it from Jeff.

In the old days, (DeWalt radial arm saw comes to mind) companies used to teach things.  Now, they are worried about liability if they teach a bad habit, etc.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Rob

Its just not relevant in Kenny's case because he's nowhere near anyone who can deliver it, the equipment is owned by a school and school budgets are notoriously thinly spread.  Even if he could spare the time AND there happened to be someone within 5 miles of his house, the school would almost certainly not fund it as a priority.

He and I have had a natter on the phone now and I'm confident that one way or another he'll get there.
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Rob, if Kenny survives this, he should have at least a small part in the sequel to Jeff and Norm's fish and chips western. :)

Ken

Ken S

"In the old days, (DeWalt radial arm saw comes to mind) companies used to teach things."

Excellent point.  If Sweden is reading this, maybe you will post when and where Tormek is being demonstrated at woodworking shows.

Ken

Ken S

Before I moved, my "shop" was the garage which also held my wife's car.  I would set up my Tormek on a workmate just outside the garage.  The light was excellent.  Given a reasonably nice day, it can be a pleasant way to work. 

Ken

Rob

yes...."the weather being nice" and "England or Scotland" don't usually belong in the same sentence Ken :-)
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Good one, Rob!

It reminds me of a piece of paper on the bulletin board at work. (most of my coworkers played golf) There were two grizzled old Scotsmen, their beards full of ice and snow.  (they were on the golf course) "Same time next week?" "Ay, weather permittin'!"

Ken