News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Free gindstones for life!

Started by 3D Anvil, July 01, 2024, 09:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3D Anvil

Looks like Tormek is running a promotion offering free gindstones for life if you purchase a T-8 or T-4 in July!  I would imagine there are some pro knife sharpeners out there who could make out like bandits with this one.

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/blogs/sharpening-blog/free-tormek-grindstones-for-life?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=24P-JUL

cbwx34

Quote from: 3D Anvil on July 01, 2024, 09:07:12 PMLooks like Tormek is running a promotion offering free gindstones for life if you purchase a T-8 or T-4 in July!  I would imagine there are some pro knife sharpeners out there who could make out like bandits with this one.

Might check the fine print... last time it was 3 stones max and I think commercial sharpeners were excluded?  (Also a 25 year cutoff.)

Kinda like "unlimited" phone data...  ::)

Still not a bad deal for some, but I'd imagine it actually doesn't benefit most users.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

3D Anvil

Quote from: cbwx34 on July 01, 2024, 10:40:03 PM
Quote from: 3D Anvil on July 01, 2024, 09:07:12 PMLooks like Tormek is running a promotion offering free gindstones for life if you purchase a T-8 or T-4 in July!  I would imagine there are some pro knife sharpeners out there who could make out like bandits with this one.

Might check the fine print... last time it was 3 stones max and I think commercial sharpeners were excluded?  (Also a 25 year cutoff.)

Kinda like "unlimited" phone data...  ::)

Still not a bad deal for some, but I'd imagine it actually doesn't benefit most users.

Hah, well...  I guess it would still be a decent deal for someone looking to get into Tormek, anyway.  Best not to get into Red Lobster's all you can eat shrimp situation, eh?   ;D

John Hancock Sr

Free as in there is no such thing as a free lunch? This really is false advertising tbh. You have to ship back the old wheel then it is only three.

tgbto

QuoteThe 'Free Grindstones for Life Certificate' guarantees you to exchange your grindstone if it wears down to a certain diameter. You can exchange your SG-250 Original Grindstone for Tormek T-8 if it wears down to a diameter of 7" / 180 mm, or your SG-200 Original Grindstone for Tormek T-4 if it wears down to a diameter of 6" / 150 mm. The exchange of worn-out grindstones will be administered by Tormek, and you will get at new Original Grindstone free of charge, shipping included. The 'Free Grindstones for Life Certificate' is valid for, at most, three (3) replacement stones in total within 25 years from date of purchase (based on the approximate service life of your Tormek machine).

I personally will not wait until my SG-250 is 7 inches in diameter before I change it. And at the current rate I am not even close to swapping it out.

I don't see any exclusions for professional sharpeners, but I guess they will reach the three grindstones limit way before their life expires after 25 years maximum :) Do any of you pros wear the wheel down to close to 7 inches before you discard it ?

Still it is a clever marketing stunt.

Ken S

I don't think this is a bad deal. In fact, for anyone planning to purchase a Tormek this summer, I would recommend purchasing it in July to take advantage of this offer. I say this fully realizing that most users will probably not end up with more than one free wheel. One free wheel is still a saving of a couple hundred dollars.

It would have been an even better deal before the other wheels were introduced and the SG was pulling 100% of the load. Worst case scenario, you would still end up with a brand new top of the line Tormek with an eight year warranty at the regular price. One could do worse. I bought my first T7 new almost fifteen years ago.It still works flawlessly; I don't remember the price.

To Tormek's credit, the return diameter and three wheel limit are plainly stated in reasonably sized print. In today's marketing environment, that's pretty straight forward. I think a more useful promotion might have instead included a rotating base, something everyone can use during every sharpening session.

I am pleased to finally see the T4 finally included in the promos.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: John Hancock Sr on July 02, 2024, 07:17:17 AM...You have to ship back the old wheel...

Based on the last promotion, you actually only need to submit a picture.

Quote from: tgbto on July 02, 2024, 09:02:20 AM...
I don't see any exclusions for professional sharpeners,

I don't either, I thought someone posted (or made a video) that they wouldn't do it for a commercial operation, but i don't see it in the earlier promotion.

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: cbwx34 on July 02, 2024, 11:59:32 PMBased on the last promotion, you actually only need to submit a picture.

From the page announcing the promotion

"Should your SG-250 grindstone wear down to a diameter of 7" (178mm) or your SG-200 grindstone wear down to 6" (150mm), simply send your worn stone to Tormek. Include a copy of your purchase receipt with your shipment."

In countries where the shipping would be exorbitant they may accept your word for it (ie photo) but that is what it says there.

sharpening_weasel

Saw that and was really hoping for the SJ to be included too... oh well.

Ken S

Quote from: sharpening_weasel on Yesterday at 01:09:43 PMSaw that and was really hoping for the SJ to be included too... oh well.

No such luck. I have no company statistics. How many grinding wheels would you estimate the average (or very active) Tormek user has today? Tormek alone sells six for the T8 and five for the T4. Plus, several vendors sell a variety of CBN wheels in both sizes. Would a total average of five be a good guess?

Splitting up the sharpening five ways, how many new Tormek buyers would even wear out one SG? Especially when the definition of "worn down" is defined as "worn down to 178mm? I believe many of us, myself included, would not feel comfortably going below 200mm.

I can see where an ambitious sharpener, using the SG exclusively, could benefit substantially from this program.

If I needed a T4 or T8, I would be much more tempted if the deal included a rotating base, KJ-45, or KS123 instead. I would add a TT-50 or SE-77 to that list with a T4.

Ken

RichColvin

Well, as one who's worn out two SG and one or two SB grindstones in the 21 years I've had my Tormek, I'd say it is very possible.

To me, 178mm is the more interesting point.  I've always thought of 180mm as the min.  And to get down to that, I had do some interesting machinations to get the water trough on the T-2000 raised up high enough (https://sharpeninghandbook.info/Grindstones-StoneLife.html).  
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

cbwx34

Quote from: RichColvin on Yesterday at 04:34:42 PMWell, as one who's worn out two SG and one or two SB grindstones in the 21 years I've had my Tormek, I'd say it is very possible.

To me, 178mm is the more interesting point.  I've always thought of 180mm as the min.  And to get down to that, I had do some interesting machinations to get the water trough on the T-2000 raised up high enough (https://sharpeninghandbook.info/Grindstones-StoneLife.html). 

The exception that proves the rule?  :)

The link I gave earlier is from Tormek's website.  While it's the last promo, it says picture instead of mailing the stone in, 180mm instead of "178".  Makes me think some of the resellers are "adlibbing" or maybe given outdated material?  Perhaps someone who is in regular contact with Tormek could straighten this out...  ???

Ken S

CB,

I emailed Tormek this afternoon. Here is their reply:

" This is not a worldwide program, just a US based program sponsored by us. It's available through all Tormek US dealers.
Professionals are not included in this. It's to drum up interest in the non-professional community."

I am in favor of any program which can save money for our members.

Ken