News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

How to turn T-2 into universal Tormek.

Started by wootz, February 09, 2019, 01:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wootz

You know that Tormek specs for the T-2 Pro Kitchen state:
"Please note that Tormek T-2 is intended for knife sharpening only. The machine is not compatible with Tormek's range of jigs and accessories."
Knife width is limited to 14–60 mm (9/16"-23/8"), and max thickness is 3.5 mm (1/8").

But not for our inventive customer David from California. David has modified his T-2 into universal Tormek, using 2 parts:
Tormek Horizontal Base XB-100 https://www.tormek.com/international/en/spare-parts/other-spare-parts-and-upgrades/xb-100-horizontal-base;
and our Frontal Vertical Base http://knifegrinders.com.au/11Shop_VB.htm

Now David can sharpen any knife, no matter how wide, long and thick it is, cleavers, woodworking tools, and use any Tormek jig.

At the moment I am programming software for his modified T-2 to set grinding/honing angle.
According to David, "The good news is that this software should work for most any T-2 installation, because the XB-100 will really fit only in that same position, fitting snugly between the housing handle and power switch."

Working with David on his project gives me a pleasant feeling of two shining minds encounter - the one I've had with many of you, but this does not happen often, and is precious moreover so.

With David's permission I post photos of his solution.

cbwx34

Quote from: wootz on February 09, 2019, 01:16:11 AM
You know that Tormek specs for the T-2 Pro Kitchen state:
"Please note that Tormek T-2 is intended for knife sharpening only. The machine is not compatible with Tormek's range of jigs and accessories."
Knife width is limited to 14–60 mm (9/16"-23/8"), and max thickness is 3.5 mm (1/8").

But not for our inventive customer David from California. David has modified his T-2 into universal Tormek, using 2 parts:
Tormek Horizontal Base XB-100 https://www.tormek.com/international/en/spare-parts/other-spare-parts-and-upgrades/xb-100-horizontal-base;
and our Frontal Vertical Base http://knifegrinders.com.au/11Shop_VB.htm

Now David can sharpen any knife, no matter how wide, long and thick it is, cleavers, woodworking tools, and use any Tormek jig.

At the moment I am programming software for his modified T-2 to set grinding/honing angle.
According to David, "The good news is that this software should work for most any T-2 installation, because the XB-100 will really fit only in that same position, fitting snugly between the housing handle and power switch."

Working with David on his project gives me a pleasant feeling of two shining minds encounter - the one I've had with many of you, but this does not happen often, and is precious moreover so.

Pretty cool... although I would ask why he went this route?  Bit less expensive to buy a T-4 and "upgrade"... but a good idea if you already have a T-2 and want to get more out of it.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Bravo, David, for a very clever conversion. Your work helps confirm my belief that Tormeks are far more versatile than just "out of the box."

One of the constraints that most of us have doing conversion work is not having the opportunity to examine a T2 or a T4. I have never seen a T2 at a woodworking show or brick and mortar Tormek dealer. Nor have I ever seen a T4 at a dealer's store which was not in a sealed box. I'm sure a sales person would take the T4 out of the box to show us, however, how many of us would feel comfortable "field stripping" a new Tormek in the store? Even if we could, how would we be able to compare it with a T2?

I have the unusual advantage of being able to examine a T2, T4, T7 and a T8 side by side in my workshop with no embarrassment of disassembling them or swapping parts. This has proved enlightening. When I first compared the T7 with the T4, I was surprised how similar the two models are. They not only share all the same jigs and most accessories, they also share most of the same parts. Even the grinding wheels can be shared, although this is not as practical. The T4 and T2 are even closer. Shortly after my T2 arrived, the diamond grinding wheel and rubber honing wheel were mounted and working perfectly on my T4. the (standard) DWF-200 and the DWC-200 diamond wheels are only listed for the T2, however, like the rubber honing wheel, they are completely compatable with the T4.

The water trough of the T4 is an exact fit with the T2 with no modification. By adding just that one more twenty dollar part, David's conversion also becomes a wet grinder. This opens up the possibility of many more grinding wheels beyond knife sharpening.

Good job, David. Keep thinking.

Ken