News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Diamond dilemma

Started by Hatchcanyon, February 08, 2019, 06:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hatchcanyon

Sorry, I missed the Tormek forum for quite a long time. Reason was that we bought a home and moved. There were a lot of other things to do including to bring up another shop.

But now we are up and running again. And we got an inspiring new view from the shop window.

In the meantime we experienced something strange:
Last year in April we bought one of the new diamond wheels at the woodworking fair in Nuremberg, Germany. They told us delivery might be in June or July. Far away from that what really happened. It needed more that 8 months to get the wheel. It arrived more or less as a "Christmas present".

Does anybody know about reasons? The company from which we bought the wheel told us something about an "overwhelming demand" but for us it looked mmore like a technical problem?

The next day the new sharpening place will be used the first time. I am courious!

Rolf
German with a second home in the American Southwestern Desert - loves Old England too.

cbwx34

Quote from: Hatchcanyon on February 08, 2019, 06:59:37 PM
In the meantime we experienced something strange:
Last year in April we bought one of the new diamond wheels at the woodworking fair in Nuremberg, Germany. They told us delivery might be in June or July. Far away from that what really happened. It needed more that 8 months to get the wheel. It arrived more or less as a "Christmas present".

Does anybody know about reasons? The company from which we bought the wheel told us something about an "overwhelming demand" but for us it looked mmore like a technical problem?

The next day the new sharpening place will be used the first time. I am courious!

Rolf

That is a good question... whether a genuine shortage based on demand, or one caused by something else.... but I'd be surprised if we got an answer. ::)  It did seem to me that as far in advanced orders were placed... it was a bit unusual that it took so long to fill them.

Good luck in the new place... snap a photo or two of the setup if you can! :)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Welcome back, Rolf. I am glad you have returned.

I think I could grow to like the view from your shop window! American architect, Frank Lloyd Wright stated that people who lived in his houses would be better people. I think you will benefit from living with such a delightful view.

Will we ever learn what caused the delivery delay with the Tormek diamond wheels? "Overwhelming demand" or technical issues? I can see either cause as posdible. Yes, the new diamond wheels are certainly popular. Yes, they are a radical departure from traditional Tormek grinding, and certainly have encountered some technical difficulties. I received my set last summer directly from Sweden. I can tell you from personal experience (in my opinion) that their performance is well worth the wait.

Must dash.....

Ken

GKC

I am still waiting.  There seems to be some problem at the manufacturing end because the Tormek website first promised resupply by December, then February, and now it does not predict any date, just "we currently have delivery delays".  My Tormek reseller says that he can't get any answers or even a date when they might be expected.  We know Tormek has high standards, and in a situation like this, when no product is coming out, you wonder if they are having problems getting acceptable product.

Gord

cbwx34

The picture that RickKrung posted of the chip (that looks like a piece of the coating came off), and Exact Blade saying his diamond surface "wore off" after minimal use, might be a clue...

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3768

Hatchcanyon

Quote from: cbwx34 on February 08, 2019, 07:52:29 PM

Thanks a lot!
What is meant with setup? Workshop or sharpening station or both?  :)
Quote from: Ken S on February 08, 2019, 09:10:03 PM
Welcome back, Rolf. I am glad you have returned.
Thank you for the warm greeting!

At the moment I'm building a small table made from a waste piece of kitchen counter top and some metal feet to support the Tormek. The new sharpening place will be beside a rinse. There is also a a tiled wall behind. Bad thing - it is within another room. Good thing - it is only some steps away and separates water and wood(working)

Rolf
German with a second home in the American Southwestern Desert - loves Old England too.

cbwx34

Quote from: Hatchcanyon on February 09, 2019, 05:55:07 PM
Quote from: cbwx34 on February 08, 2019, 07:52:29 PM

Thanks a lot!
What is meant with setup? Workshop or sharpening station or both:)

;D

bisonbladesharpening

What a beautiful view to look at every day.
I spent 12 of my formative adult years in northern Vermont and now live in flat Florida.
I miss everything but the 20 below zero.  Enjoy those awesome hills.
Best Wishes
Tim

Ken S

Quote from: cbwx34 on February 09, 2019, 03:44:55 AM
The picture that RickKrung posted of the chip (that looks like a piece of the coating came off), and Exact Blade saying his diamond surface "wore off" after minimal use, might be a clue...

I don't think we should use the post from Exact Blade as proof positive that the diamond wheels are defective. In the post, he gave no evidence that he was using the diamond wheel correctly, wetwith ACC additive and with very light pressure. For proof "beyond a reasonable doubt", I would want to see evidence that Tormek support was involved in resolving the problem. I would want to see a statement that neither the TT-50 diamond truing tool or the stone grader was used. If the diamonds wore off after only a few uses, how would testers like Glenn Lucas and Nick Agar not have noticed? I would be more apt to believe that there was a problem with the diamonds wearing off "after only a few uses" if we were aware of fifty similar complaints or if my own limited use with the diamond wheels produced this wear. I have not read any similar wear posts, nor have I experienced this wear myself. I remember (and just reread) the thread referenced. Exact Blade did not respond to my reply. He also indicated that he would like to swap the fine wheel for the coarse wheel. This makes me wonder if part of his problem might have been caused by using the fine wheel for work which needed the coarse wheel. I am not accusing Exact Blade of anything. I am merely stating that I do not find the case he presented substantial enough to warrant a guilty verdict against the diamond wheels.

Rick's experience with chipping is another matter. If the amount of chipping he has experienced continues or worsens, Tormek will replace his wheel. That seems fair to me.

Diamond wheel technology is very new for Tormek. Whether the delay is due to production demands or a manufacturing problem, I have no doubt that the problem will be resolved eventually.

Ken

Hatchcanyon

Quote from: bisonbladesharpening on February 09, 2019, 11:39:05 PM
What a beautiful view to look at every day.
I spent 12 of my formative adult years in northern Vermont and now live in flat Florida.
I miss everything but the 20 below zero.  Enjoy those awesome hills.
Best Wishes
Tim

Tim,

I understand that very well. We love the warmth too but more that found in the semiarid regions on the Colorado Plateau. Southeastern Utah is something like second home to us

Nevertheless - this is our first home in the so called "Odenwald". The castle is more than 800 years old and fortunately we don't have snow that often. But it is definively good for the pictures.  ;D

Rolf

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on February 10, 2019, 07:38:28 AM
Quote from: cbwx34 on February 09, 2019, 03:44:55 AM

I don't think we should use the post from Exact Blade as proof positive that the diamond wheels are defective. In the post, he gave no evidence that he was using the diamond wheel correctly, wetwith ACC additive and with very light pressure. For proof "beyond a reasonable doubt", I would want to see evidence that Tormek support was involved in resolving the problem. I would want to see a statement that neither the TT-50 diamond truing tool or the stone grader was used. If the diamonds wore off after only a few uses, how would testers like Glenn Lucas and Nick Agar not have noticed? I would be more apt to believe that there was a problem with the diamonds wearing off "after only a few uses" if we were aware of fifty similar complaints or if my own limited use with the diamond wheels produced this wear. I have not read any similar wear posts, nor have I experienced this wear myself. I remember (and just reread) the thread referenced. Exact Blade did not respond to my reply. He also indicated that he would like to swap the fine wheel for the coarse wheel. This makes me wonder if part of his problem might have been caused by using the fine wheel for work which needed the coarse wheel. I am not accusing Exact Blade of anything. I am merely stating that I do not find the case he presented substantial enough to warrant a guilty verdict against the diamond wheels.

Rick's experience with chipping is another matter. If the amount of chipping he has experienced continues or worsens, Tormek will replace his wheel. That seems fair to me.

Diamond wheel technology is very new for Tormek. Whether the delay is due to production demands or a manufacturing problem, I have no doubt that the problem will be resolved eventually.

Ken

All... true... that's why I called it a "clue"... not a definitive answer. ;)

Ken S

Distinction noted. Good point.

Ken

Ken S

Rolf,
Please check your messages.
Thanks.
Ken

Darrell C

here is what Darren emailed me a few days ago.

Good afternoon Darrell,
Thank you for your purchase.
Tormek has a shipment on the way to us. We're expecting it to clear customs and get to us about the 22nd of the month.
Transit to you after it leaves here will be approximately 4-5 business days.
We'll send you tracking information when it leaves our warehouse.
Best Regards,
Darren