News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek Tips Tricks and Techniques Beginners Start Here!

Started by Ken S, March 11, 2013, 11:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

Have you been listening to monty python Ken.....your humour is getting more English by the day....commendable...keep it up :-)
Best.    Rob.

Herman Trivilino

Ken, now that you are a moderator would you consider cleaning up this thread and turning it into what you wanted it to be when you started it?
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Herman,

You have an excellent suggestion. I never intended for this topic to become so large. My original idea was to provide the new users an on forum easy to follow guide to learning some of the basics of successfully using a Tormek.Learning how to sharpen a chisel seemed the most basic tool. A chisel requires only the SE-76 jig, which is provided with the T7. A usable new chisel can be purchased for approximately ten US dollars, so no major investment is necessary. It is probably the most frequently sharpened tool for woodworkers, and is a handy tool for any homeowner. The 3/4" (19mm) width is a useful balance between being wide enough to easily sharpen and narrow enough not to be a chore.

Learning to sharpen a chisel provides the new user with an opportunity to master most of the basic Tormek skills. One learns how to set up and maintain the water trough; how to use the basic jig, including how to properly set the bevel angle angle using the anglemaster, a marking pen, or a kenjig; how to maintain the grinding wheel with the truing tool and stone grader; how to set up and use the leather honing wheel; how to check for squareness of the grind. One becomes familiar with the feel and sound of the Tormek during grinding. With practice (repetition), the new user will become quite comfortable with his new Tormek and ready to branch out to sharpening other tools. A chisel has only one straight, flat, and large enough to be easily seen bevel. Learning how to sharpen the humble chisel gives the new user a solid foundation.

Yes, I need to rework this topic. It needs to be much shorter. It also needs visual aids. With fifty years experience as a photographer, I can make photos to accompany the topic. My constraint here is the digital side. I recently sold or gave away my beloved film cameras and darkroom and am now completely digital. However, having the equipment does not necessarily mean having the skill. I am actively studying Lightroom and related digital skills. Thanks to help from a few forum members, I can now place photos on the forum. During the rewrite, I may consult members for help. With my personal obligations, I will not be able to do much work on this project until almost December.

I would like to see similar basic guide topics in each of the sub forums. I am not a turner or carver. I certainly would not attempt to explain the planer jig at my present level of skill! We would need some help for the other topics, including, hopefully, from Sweden.

Ideally, I would prefer to have this topic covered by a well done video. I would like to see something done with the in depth content and technical excellence that Steve has produced. I would prefer this be produced by Tormek. Tormek would benefit from this by having content control; the equipment involved would be exclusively Tormek. In the case of a beginner, having the technique demonstrated be also the "orthodox" Tormek method would also be beneficial. (We all stray a bit, but let's learn the straight path first.)

Herman, I will work on this project and keep everyone posted as to progress. Member input is appreciated.

Ken

amikek

Ken - as someone just getting started, I found the suggestions of the 'main topic' to be perfect! I've got a few chisels to work with and I'm learning with each effort. Quite simply, I think this is a great way for anyone to start. Thanks for taking the time, everyone, in pulling this together.

Mike

Ken S

Mike,

Welcome o the forum. I am pleased you have found the "main topic" useful. The more I use the Tormek, the more I believe the humble chisel is the great teacher. The 3/4" bench chisel is the simplist of edged tools: a straight edge; a flat tool; a single bevel large enough to easily use the anglemaster or marker; Tormek life doesn't get any better than this.

The chisel will help you learn the sound of Tormek grinding, the feel, and what sharp can be.  It can be a good warmup after a long period of inactivity. It is also a useful troubleshooting  aid when your sharpening is not going well. If you can resharpen your chisel, your Tormek and grinding wheel are functioning properly. That lets you focus your troubleshooting.

Do keep us posted with your progress and do not hesitate to post questions; that's how we all learn.

Ken

gtrubicon

hi all,
I'm getting ready to invest in a t8, is there an attachment available that will allow me to sharpen woodchipper knives? they are double sided, 3/8" thick and 6" long. I would love to know if it would be possible. thank you

Jan

Welcome to the forum!  :)

Yes, Tormek offers Planer Blade Attachment SVH-320. More info you will find at http://www.tormek.com/international/en/grinding-jigs/svh-320-planer-blade-attachment/
The attachment copes with any blade length but minimum width is some 13 mm.

Jan

SharpenADullWitt

I have never done those, nor do I have all the jigs.  My personal opinion, is this would be a marker and SVD-110 platform job.  However the thickness will fit in the SE-76.  I do not have or know about the planer blade or moulding knife jig to tell.
When you say woodchipper though, I am thinking you mean one that does tree limbs, rather then a planer.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Gtrubicon,

I have emailed Stig, our contact person at Tormek. (Stig is also the head of Tormek Support.) Stig replied that he will look into it. Due to his work schedule, it may take several days.

Ken

Elden

Elden

Ken S

Good find.  Thanks. Elden.

Incidentally (pertaining to the original topic), I just placed an order for three more Irwin Blue chip 3/4" chisels. I found a source on
amazon priced at $8.19 with Prime (free two day shipping). My original five included only two 3/4" size. I want to keep the size the same for test work.

Ken

sean

Hi Ken,

Apologies if this is going over old ground but i am struggling to get a square edge to chisels and planes. Tried re grinding the stone, checked arm square to stone, tried tightening left to right etc on the jig, but all to no avail. Was wondering if there is a video tutorial or any other way of putting me out of my misery !

Many thanks

Sean.

SharpenADullWitt

Sean it might help to list what Jig you have or are using.  Did you just buy a T-8 and have the most recent, or are you using some used equipment you bough, and a much older jig, which the advice may differ?
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Jan

Quote from: sean on January 09, 2017, 11:23:48 PM

Apologies if this is going over old ground but i am struggling to get a square edge to chisels and planes. Tried re grinding the stone, checked arm square to stone, tried tightening left to right etc on the jig, but all to no avail. Was wondering if there is a video tutorial or any other way of putting me out of my misery !

Shen, the edge non squarness is a very annoying but quite frequent issue.  :) To avoid it I align the edge of plane irons and wider chisels to a pencil line drawn on the stone when mounting it into the square edge jig.

It is more precise than an alignment to the jig shoulder which works only for parallel tool sides. The initial edge should be square otherwise you replicate the skew! If the edge is not square make it square before mounting it into the jig.  ;)

Use the marker method and check the sharpening progress frequently!

Good luck!

Jan

ChrisC

This is a great topic and I am glad it is still active.

There were some comments made earlier in the thread about watching some videos. For the holidays I received a T-8, and it came with an accompanying DVD that I am unable to watch [no DVD player]. Are these videos available online somewhere for viewing? Also, my grinding wheel has a slight oddity in its rotation - is that normal? Finally, does anyone else get a lot of vibration noise between the plastic water housing and the metal body of the Tormek? Is there a tip or trick to eliminate that [would something as simple as some electrical tape do it]?

Also, I have a question about flattening the back of a plane iron. How much pressure should I exert sideways on the stone while trying to flatten the backs of my plane irons?

Sean - if you have a T-8, one thing that has provided me no end of confusion is that the new jig [S-77] has some adjustments to allow for a cambered blade, but it does not necessarily come set 100% flat. I had to monkey around with my jig to get it to a point where the plane iron would sit in neutral to the stone. Check those two knobs and the line on the back of the jig.