News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek Tips Tricks and Techniques Beginners Start Here!

Started by Ken S, March 11, 2013, 11:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Batsman.

I am pleased that you have posted and very pleased that there are teachers like you. Having worked with the kenjig concept for ten years, it has become second nature to me. I divide understanding the kenjig into understanding the jig itself and understanding the concept behind it. You clearly understand both.

Thanks for your kind words about the forum.

Keep posting.

Ken

Petter

I am a total newbie and I am trying to use TormekCalc for T-4 but none of the constants are available for that machine.

Looking for constants for T-4: VH, HH, HV, VV as shown in the attached drawing

cbwx34

Quote from: Petter on May 11, 2020, 07:04:03 PM
I am a total newbie and I am trying to use TormekCalc for T-4 but none of the constants are available for that machine.

From some older notes I have:  VH=66  HH=29  HV=50  VV=20.  (I didn't double check... so do some testing to verify).

Also just so you know, you can use the "T USB" measurement... which measures from the top of the USB to the top of the wheel... that measurement doesn't need the machine measurements.  (The machine measurements only matter if you're setting the USB by measuring to the machine).  :)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

jvh

Quote from: Petter on May 11, 2020, 07:04:03 PM

I sent you PM.

Generally, because dimensions can vary little bit on same type of machine I recommend you to measure them exactly on your Tormek. Use a caliper, ruler, square (or whatever else) to get them. Then check TormekCalc2 outputs through "T USB" dimensions - if these dimensions match, constants are O.K. If not, a better measurement or correction of constants is necessary. If you have a problem to measure "T USB" dimension use a distance pad between stone and USB, measure length of used pad and add 12 mm (USB diameter).

Quote from: cbwx34
From some older notes I have:  VH=66  HH=29  HV=50  VV=20.  (I didn't double check... so do some testing to verify).

Also just so you know, you can use the "T USB" measurement... which measures from the top of the USB to the top of the wheel... that measurement doesn't need the machine measurements.  (The machine measurements only matter if you're setting the USB by measuring to the machine). 

Thank you.

jvh

tgbto

Quote from: jvh on May 11, 2020, 08:48:42 PM

Use a caliper, ruler, square (or whatever else) to get them.

jvh

Hi!  I couldn't find a decent way to measure precisely a distance such as FH... Any hints ?

jvh

Quote from: tgbto on April 01, 2021, 11:51:08 AM
Hi!  I couldn't find a decent way to measure precisely a distance such as FH... Any hints ?

Hello,

I suppose that you mean variable length HF - see picture in Petter's post above or the same one in TormekCalc2.

As you can see the dimension HF consists from FVB body thickness, constant VH and variable dimension F.
I used a caliper for measuring FVB body thickness and I am using it also for measuring dimension F if my FVB is not at stops or notches.
For measuring VH constant (and others too) I used a square angle ruler, caliper and some distance pads. I measured dimensions including USB and shaft diameter, then substracted half of each one.

Then I checked setting for all USBs via T dimension (distance from USB to wheel surface) in low, middle and high position and made the constants corrections. I used also Excel tool What-if Analysis for that. It took me couple of hours but it is only one time job and now I am sure that constants for my T-8 machine are very accurate.

jvh

Soapy

'bog standard' is English slang with the meaning akin to 'common or garden' i.e. basic, simple, unsophisticated, run-of-the-mill.  I don't like the use of the word regular when used (incorrectly in English) to mean 'bog standard'.  Owing to the American influence, English speakers are also being nudged towards 'regular' for both 'normal' and 'frequent'  In fact the correct usage of 'regular in English dictates that an occurrence is regular when the time period between occurrences is constant and equal.  Frequent means having a relatively short time period (but not necessarily equal) between occurrence.  There.. I've got that off my chest.  :)
⚓🚁🏎

Humans almost certainly do not have the capacity to discern true reality (a concept strongly reinforced by the other-worldly nature of the Westminster Bubble!)

Ray Lancon

Ray in Kingwood

Ken S

Here is a review of the Irwin chisel I recommend as a learning tool.

https://youtu.be/8EENGTbziF0

Ken

Ste1525

Greetings, looking for some direction. I am a new owner of a T8. I am having issues with the grind angle not being the same on each side of the blade. What am I doing wrong? Thank you in advance.

cbwx34

Quote from: Ste1525 on December 28, 2023, 02:27:38 AMGreetings, looking for some direction. I am a new owner of a T8. I am having issues with the grind angle not being the same on each side of the blade. What am I doing wrong? Thank you in advance.

See if this recent thread helps:  Asymmetrical bevel result on knives 

Ste1525

Ian E

I am new to the Tormek world. I don't want to be the irritating newbie who asks that the group repeat the basics just for me. So, started with the pinned post "Tips, Tricks & Techniques Beginners Start Here" (dated March 2013).  link sharptoolsusa.com seems inactive.  Tormek has a YouTube series "Tormek Live Sharpening" which might be nice to binge watch—if I could find a complete listing (can't find this on tormek.com). Any help find these would be great. Then I will, I promise, go away and leave you all in peace until I have done my homework—and have sharpened a bunch of stuff on my Tormek.

cbwx34

Quote from: Ian E on January 13, 2024, 08:47:36 PMI am new to the Tormek world. I don't want to be the irritating newbie who asks that the group repeat the basics just for me. So, started with the pinned post "Tips, Tricks & Techniques Beginners Start Here" (dated March 2013).  link sharptoolsusa.com seems inactive.  Tormek has a YouTube series "Tormek Live Sharpening" which might be nice to binge watch—if I could find a complete listing (can't find this on tormek.com). Any help find these would be great. Then I will, I promise, go away and leave you all in peace until I have done my homework—and have sharpened a bunch of stuff on my Tormek.

Sharptools is now Advanced Machinery

The Tormek Sharpening classes from the live streams is HERE.

Nazzareno Falcone

Salve a tutti,

Primo: cosa sono le mole CBN?

Secondo:  ho letto che le mole diamantate, si possono usare anche a secco, ma così quanto durano?  Con l'acqua, approssimativamente , quante affilature sopportano?

Terzo: è prevista una mola più grossolana (in pietra o diamantata) che permetta di fare la prima sgrossatura (soprattutto quando la lama è molto rovinata) e permettere a quelle più fini di durare di più?
Grazie e buon proseguimento di serata