News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

TormekCalc3 - Advanced grinding calculator

Started by jvh, January 23, 2020, 08:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SergeiDubovsky

Speaking of angles. In the calc it gives a single value of "T USB" (tangent distance to stone surface from the support) for both front USB, regular USB and horizontal USB.
Logically, it should be the same, no matter what type of support is used. But I just want to double-check, if I am missing something.

RickKrung

Sure should be the same.  That is the whole point and beauty.  Frees one from so many variables and sources of error and significantly reduces setup/adjustment times. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

aquataur

I have a T-3 and a self-made FVB, so I have to measure the parameters myself.
I don´t know how much the T-4 resembles the T-3.

May I ask where I can find the description for HV,VV,HH, FVB HF etc.
Preferrably a drawing. There is so much information here...
Found the drawing myself.

BTW, I downloaded V2.01 and it works great on Libreoffice 7.5.

Thanks,

-Helmut

Sir Amwell

I'm inept at Information technology.
So is there any way to get Tormekcalc on an iPad and be able to use it effectively?
I've tried to in the past and just end up with a whole load of files that are virtually impossible to use.
Any tips on this would be really appreciated.

cbwx34

Quote from: Sir Amwell on March 12, 2023, 01:30:43 AMI'm inept at Information technology.
So is there any way to get Tormekcalc on an iPad and be able to use it effectively?
I've tried to in the past and just end up with a whole load of files that are virtually impossible to use.
Any tips on this would be really appreciated.

I got it to work on an iPad.  I installed Excel, and logged in with a Microsoft acct.  Go thru the prompts that try and get you to try the paid version (you don't need it.)  I had TormekCalc saved in the Files app on the iPad, so just clicked on that in Excel, navigated to the TormekCalc file, (it's named TormekCalc...with an xlsm or xlsx ending), (I'm assuming you have it "unzipped" since you said you had several files already), and it opens right up.  You're setup may be a little different, so not sure if this will work for you.

You'll get an error that Excel can't run VBA macros, but this only affects the Backup and Import functions, according to jvh.  It also won't load the wheel pictures on the TormekCalc tab, but that doesn't matter.  Other than that, everything else seems to work without any issues.

Hope that helps.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

cbwx34

Quote from: aquataur on March 11, 2023, 08:22:56 PMI have a T-3 and a self-made FVB, so I have to measure the parameters myself.
I don´t know how much the T-4 resembles the T-3.

May I ask where I can find the description for HV,VV,HH, FVB HF etc.
Preferrably a drawing. There is so much information here...
Found the drawing myself.

BTW, I downloaded V2.01 and it works great on Libreoffice 7.5.

Thanks,

-Helmut

If you measure directly to the wheel to set the USB, (the T USB measurement in TormekCalc), you don't need to measure any parameters.  (You can also use this measurement to verify your parameter measurements, if you go that route.)

I would think the T-3 measurements should be close to the T-4... I think their biggest change was replacing the plastic with zinc.  (Of course your FVB measurements will probably be different.)

aquataur

for the record: my T-3 measurements. They are a little different than common T-4 settings, but there seems to be some spread anyway...
  • HV=50
  • VV=18
  • HH=30
  • VH=67
however, this fits nicely into the specs:
Quote from: jvh on June 25, 2020, 10:20:19 AMCurrent T-4 constants ranges are (including your measurements):

HV 49,0-51,1
VV 19,5-20,0
HH 29,0
VH 66,0-67,0

my FVB parameters are of no concern, being proprietory.

Having that all said (and set), I find that what the program does is waaaayyyy over my head.
Until further demands arise, I will be content with Dutchman´s or Perra´s tables.
As a result, the only additional gadget needed is a working distance measurement like the T-Cube.
This is an insight, and thus an advance.

For the environment needed to run TormekCalc:

Version 2.01 runs on Libreoffice 7.5, but not if you store the file in its native format (.ods).
Current version 3.1 does not run. It gets the links twisted.
But it ran enough tho see that I can survive without. (not trying to be ironic.)

Cudos however for the program and thanks for generously giving it.

cbwx34

Quote from: aquataur on March 12, 2023, 10:25:31 AM...
Version 2.01 runs on Libreoffice 7.5, but not if you store the file in its native format (.ods).
Current version 3.1 does not run. It gets the links twisted.

3.1 is the version I ran in Excel on the iPad.

Quote from: aquataur on March 12, 2023, 10:25:31 AMfor the record: my T-3 measurements. They are a little different than common T-4 settings, but there seems to be some spread anyway...
  • HV=50
  • VV=18
  • HH=30
  • VH=67
however, this fits nicely into the specs:
Quote from: jvh on June 25, 2020, 10:20:19 AMCurrent T-4 constants ranges are (including your measurements):

HV 49,0-51,1
VV 19,5-20,0
HH 29,0
VH 66,0-67,0

I suspected they'd be close.

Quote from: aquataur on March 12, 2023, 10:25:31 AM...
Having that all said (and set), I find that what the program does is waaaayyyy over my head.
Until further demands arise, I will be content with Dutchman´s or Perra´s tables.

It is nice to have options.  I did post earlier, that you can "get started" in TormekCalc with just a minimum of settings...

... and grow from there.  Also, TormekCalc has the ability to set for other tools, (which might answer your question in the other thread).

aquataur

I understand that you can use the program in a bare bone fashion. But as I said - it does not run on my PC. So I have to resort to simpler programs.

Actually, I would be quite content with Dutchman´s tables, but as he said himself, they won´t work with the new jigs. Perra´s program´s tables do work for knives, but what I want to be cleared is what I addressed in the thread you mention. That is particularly for using Herman´s jig and chisels.

I am quite positive that it works by changing that parameter.

cbwx34

Quote from: aquataur on March 12, 2023, 08:59:00 PMI understand that you can use the program in a bare bone fashion. But as I said - it does not run on my PC. So I have to resort to simpler programs.

Actually, I would be quite content with Dutchman´s tables, but as he said himself, they won´t work with the new jigs. Perra´s program´s tables do work for knives, but what I want to be cleared is what I addressed in the thread you mention. That is particularly for using Herman´s jig and chisels.

I am quite positive that it works by changing that parameter.

I guess I misunderstood... I thought "waaaayyyy over my head" meant something else, and that you were able to run it in LibreOffice.

You are correct about the other... if you look under the "Jigs" tab in TormekCalc (at least in 3.1), it gives the Jig Diameter and Projection Length correction for some of the jigs.  You also might find this thread of interest:  https://forum.tormek.com/index.php/topic,4971

BADBRAD

Good Day to All.  I am new to Tormek and the forum.  Please show me where I can purchase the TormekCalc3 calculator.

Thanks,

Brad

cbwx34

Quote from: BADBRAD on April 07, 2023, 02:43:38 PMGood Day to All.  I am new to Tormek and the forum.  Please show me where I can purchase the TormekCalc3 calculator.

Thanks,

Brad

Send a PM (personal message) to jvh

Scotty

Hello
I am interested in your grinding angle calculation program.
I am basically computer illiterate.
Is there an application instruction available?
I would like password please.
It there is any fee involved to cover your time?
If so, I will gladly pay.
Thank you
I have been using the Knife Grinder program will good success, but it is no longer available or supported.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in this world. Marines don't have that problem."
President Ronald Regan

SergeiDubovsky

Quote from: RichColvin on November 02, 2022, 08:13:36 PMSergei, if you go down this path, look hard at Fusion 360.  It is a great tool for 3D modeling, and I understand there is a licensing which is free for non-commercial users.  Some of the other 3D CAD programs I've tried don't make smooth curves and that can be problematic for some parts you would want to make.

Fusion 360 can output to a 3D printer directly, but I prefer to output the file in STL format, and then use a separate slicer tool.  I use Ultimaker's Cura for that.  It is a free tool.

As for 3D printers, the  Creality Ender is a good product at a good price.  There are other better and faster printers, but the Creality Ender seems to be a good starting printer (I have the Ender 3 v2).  You can print using both PLA and ABS filament which covers most use cases.

I went that path...

11 month and several printers later. I do know how to model and print now :) Mods incoming. But first I need to check if there is a CAD for the Tormek. I will post in a different topic.

elchamaco

Hi, I'm trying to download the amazing calc but requires password, and i've been trying to send a pm but there must be some failure in the forum, i tried with 3 navigators and the same result. Is there any way to get it?.

Thanks and happy new year.