News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

TormekCalc3 - Advanced grinding calculator

Started by jvh, January 23, 2020, 08:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jvh

Hello gentlemen,

just to be clear, I mentioned possible ranges of constants from different machines. I don't know how they were measured, but they should provide a guide to where the constants should be.

I know that is hard to measure constansts with such accuracy, therefore I mentioned check through T dimension, because it allows you to make constants correction and then you need ... decimals.  You only have to do this once for each machine, because the constants remain the same, so in this case I do not consider more time needed for accurate measurement and adjustment to be a problem.

And the rest is about personal preferences, Excel has Increase decimal and Decrease decimal buttons, you can customize cells as you wish and work with chosen accuracy. There is such possibility. Moreover you can try more approaches and choose the one that suits you...

jvh

cbwx34

Quote from: jvh on June 26, 2020, 11:39:13 AM
Hello gentlemen,

just to be clear, I mentioned possible ranges of constants from different machines. I don't know how they were measured, but they should provide a guide to where the constants should be.

I know that is hard to measure constansts with such accuracy, therefore I mentioned check through T dimension, because it allows you to make constants correction and then you need ... decimals.  You only have to do this once for each machine, because the constants remain the same, so in this case I do not consider more time needed for accurate measurement and adjustment to be a problem.

And the rest is about personal preferences, Excel has Increase decimal and Decrease decimal buttons, you can customize cells as you wish and work with chosen accuracy. There is such possibility. Moreover you can try more approaches and choose the one that suits you...

jvh

Your first part I agree with.  It's good to have a good sampling of measurements, to help "dial in" where it should be.

But the 2nd part is what I mean.  There's nothing wrong with using the 'T' measurement to check things, in fact I started to put it in my original answer.  But saying you "need... decimals" to verify everything to "decimal point" accuracy, really won't matter.  We have it available, and nothing wrong with using it, but what I was trying to say is, if in few months, more measurements are provided, and the average changes a bit, there's no reason to update your personal calculations to reflect that.  (Which is what was happening at one point in all this, and I'm guilty too).  :-[   Just stick with consistency of what you have.

From my earlier example... taking the extremes of the horizontal and vertical measurements if I wanted to sharpen a knife at 20°, it gave a range of 19.17-20.87.  Now combine that with the fact that I would have to take 3 or 4 other measurements to set the angle, plus combine that with other variables... see what I mean?  In the end, it's just a better, and (if you don't think of it as a computer, but just a calculator), easier way to set angle... especially if you're not trying to set it to the .xx accuracy.

I can guarantee that the sharpness that some are getting is not based on decimal point accuracy, as much as it is finding a good consistent path to sharpness and refining it.  It has way more to do with technique, pressure, consistency, etc. than it does decimal points.  You could get the same results saying for example, "turn the microadjust two clicks" vs. "set the angle .5° higher"... same result, but easier... if that makes sense.

Like I said... nothing to do with your work here... it's a great resource.  I'm mainly just trying not to scare people off thinking it's too involved to bother with. ;)  It's really just a simple calculator in the end, and to me the best, easiest, and most consistent way to set the angle on knives.

Quote from: Dutchman on June 26, 2020, 10:20:50 AM
Quote from: cbwx34 on June 25, 2020, 02:25:53 PM
The goal here is simply an easy and more accurate way of setting angles on knives, and eliminating some of the issues that other methods have.
A "simple adjustment" has become a religion with computer based rituals and glorification of decimals. ;)

;D
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Jan

Last week I was shaping a new blade for an outdoor knife. I used the TormekCalc2 to calculate the length of the hollow grind (HR). My blade was 3 mm thick and for primary bevel angle of 3⁰ per side I calculated 14 mm length of the grind. The wheel diameter was 252.5 mm.

Jan

cbwx34

Quote from: Jan on June 26, 2020, 03:14:56 PM
Last week I was shaping a new blade for an outdoor knife. I used the TormekCalc2 to calculate the length of the hollow grind (HR). My blade was 3 mm thick and for primary bevel angle of 3⁰ per side I calculated 14 mm length of the grind. The wheel diameter was 252.5 mm.

Jan

Actually, it was 13.878   ;)  :D

Nice knife!

Jan

Yes, CB, you are correct!  :)

For a knife maker it is nice to have the grind length under control. The picture shows how it was done. Initial belt grit was 40! After the heat treatment the blade is mounted in the jig in the same way for the finial grinding.

The knife design was inspired by Bob Loveless iconic 4" drop point knife.

Jan

cbwx34

Quote from: Jan on June 26, 2020, 08:13:19 PM
For a knife maker it is nice to have the grind length under control. The picture shows how it was done.

Did you design and or make that jig?  (I just happened to listen to a podcast this a.m. where they were talking about jigs in knife making).

Jan

The jig is my prototype of a self-centring knife jig for Tormek which was inspired by the knife clamp for Lansky controlled-angle system. It was described here: https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3834.msg25694#msg25694

Jan

cbwx34

So while I've "played around" with TormekCalc, yesterday I took it in the 'shop' and used it to do some sharpening.  What a great calculator.

One thing I did (not earth shattering) was to duplicate the TormekCalc sheet, and set one up for each machine.  Seemed to work without any issues, and let me set the parameters for each machine independently.

Anyway, worked well!

jvh

Quote from: cbwx34 on July 08, 2020, 06:55:57 PM
So while I've "played around" with TormekCalc, yesterday I took it in the 'shop' and used it to do some sharpening.  What a great calculator.

Thank you, I appreciate that, especially considering you're also developing your own calculator.

Quote from: cbwx34
One thing I did (not earth shattering) was to duplicate the TormekCalc sheet, and set one up for each machine.  Seemed to work without any issues, and let me set the parameters for each machine independently.

Anyway, worked well!

Yes, it should work too. But you can specify different machines directly in Specification sheet and then select appropriate ones in the Wheel table on TormekCalc sheet - see pictures.

jvh

cbwx34

Quote from: jvh on July 08, 2020, 08:27:46 PM
Quote from: cbwx34 on July 08, 2020, 06:55:57 PM

Thank you, I appreciate that, especially considering you're also developing your own calculator.

Mine is a Casio watch app compared to yours. ;)

Quote from: jvh on July 08, 2020, 08:27:46 PM
Quote from: cbwx34

Anyway, worked well!

Yes, it should work too. But you can specify different machines directly in Specification sheet and then select appropriate ones in the Wheel table on TormekCalc sheet - see pictures.

jvh

True... I did work with that a bit... but giving each machine it's own page allowed my simple mind ??? to see all the variables for each machine, as well as the calculations in one place. :)  (if that makes sense).

Either way, I like it.

jvh

Hello,

I've just added multilanguage support to new beta version of TormekCalc2. (But help in comments stays in English only - not possible to change it there without using VBA.)

If anyone wants to help with translation into other languages, please send me PM. I will send you a link to the latest version which contains language strings (currently English + Czech).

jvh

jvh

Hello everyone,

new public version of TormekCalc2 is available (v2.40).

Main News:

• Multilanguage support

New sheet named ,,Languages" was added, it contains all strings used in cells. Translations to other languages can be entered here. Currently included are Default (hard-coded English strings), English and Czech.

Language can be select through the drop-downlist in Settings sheet.

Please note that help in comments stays in English only, because it is not possible to change it without using VBA. Compromises were made due to table headers that could not be translated. New row with translation was inserted here, please hide it if you use English as default language.

• Gringing angle shift ±Δ

Added to TormekCalc sheet, it allows shifting grinding angle for any wheel.

Useful eg. for:
    - Honing where a higher angle is required for final burr removal.
    - Grinding or honing microbevel.
    - Grinding if the initial wheel has much smaller diameter than next ones, to avoid problems with grinding the edge heel instead of the edge tip.

The calculation with the shifted angle is indicated by the values being displayed between two dots.

• "AngleJig" calculation

Added to TormekCalc sheet, it allows setting heigth of USBs by calculated angle using an inclinometer or angle meter.

Setting with an inclinometer seems to be very easy and quick because requires the angle measuring between grinding wheel surface and vertical USB support (with reset on horizontal or vertical plane).
    For more info see https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?&topic=4393.0

New picture with angles description was added to TormekCalc sheet.

Please note that this is the first and unique approach how to measure USB height this way and this feature is still in experimental mode.

• BevelCalc sheet changes

Now allows reverse calculation of grinded angle Δ via ,,AngleJig" measurement, see above.   

New picture with angles description was added to BevelCalc sheet.

• And much more...

Internal changes, corrections, settings changes - for detailed info see internal help in cell's comments.

If you don't plan to use any of the functions included in TormekCalc2 just hide unused row(s), column(s), sheet(s) etc. TormekCalc2 is fully customizable.  ;)

Ideas for improvement are welcome as well as feedback. Please feel free to contact me if you need any further information.

Enjoy!

jvh

Attention!

Due file size and forum restrictions (maximum individual size is 256 KB) is TormekCalc2 version 2.1+ available only on external web storage.

Download HERE (WebShare.cz, click Download File and then Download slowly).

Current version 2.40
(TormekCalc2_Public_v240.zip, packed size 7881884 B, TormekCalc_Public_v240.xlsx, unpacked size 874746 bytes + sample pictures in Knives and Tools folders.)

cbwx34

Quote from: jvh on July 31, 2020, 12:45:05 AM
"AngleJig" calculation

Added to TormekCalc sheet, it allows setting heigth of USBs by calculated angle using an inclinometer or angle meter.

Setting with an inclinometer seems to be very easy and quick because requires the angle measuring between grinding wheel surface and vertical USB support (with reset on horizontal or vertical plane).
For more info see https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?&topic=4393.0

New picture with angles description was added to TormekCalc sheet.

Please note that this is the first and unique approach how to measure USB height this way and this feature is still in experimental mode.

Well... I'm not gonna bet the farm on one trial run, but I set the USB the "old" way  :D ... then checked the angle...

... maybe you're onto somethin' here.   ;)

Even

Hello.

Is there anyone who have measured the constants on a Tormek T7?
VH=?  HH=?  HV=?  VV=?
I am getting an old T7 to use with my t8, i can messure when i get it, but maybe there are someone out her who alredy have done it.

Even

jvh

Hello everyone,

new public version of TormekCalc2 is available (v2.44).

Main News:

• Multilanguage support

Added French translation. (Thank you Gilles!)

Language can be select through the drop-downlist in Settings sheet.

Please note that help in comments stays in English only, because it is not possible to change it without using VBA. Compromises were made due to table headers that could not be translated. New row with translation was inserted here, please hide it if you use English as default language.

• "AngleJig" calculation

Formulas were optimized.
    Display of the reset is now configurable in Setting sheet - Show angle ...USB for reset(s) = h (horizontal), v (vertical), h / v (both).

• Setting sheet changes

Added help in cell comments for default settings (English only).

• And much more...

Internal changes, corrections, SVS-50 pictures in Jigs sheet, etc.

If you don't plan to use any of the functions included in TormekCalc2 just hide unused row(s), column(s), sheet(s) etc. TormekCalc2 is fully customizable.  ;)

Ideas for improvement are welcome as well as feedback. Please feel free to contact me if you need any further information.

Hint: If you have data in Knives or Tools sheet just select all uses rows between column C to AD (included), copy them to clipboard (Ctrl+C) and paste them as VALUES to new version of TormekCalc2.

Enjoy!

jvh

Attention!

Due file size and forum restrictions (maximum individual size is 256 KB) is TormekCalc2 version 2.1+ available only on external web storage.

Download HERE (WebShare.cz, click Download File and then Download slowly).

Current version 2.44
(TormekCalc2_Public_v244.zip, packed size 1 083 740 bytes, TormekCalc_Public_v244.xlsx, unpacked size 1 080 936 bytes + sample pictures in the Knives and Tools folders.)