News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

TormekCalc3 - Advanced grinding calculator

Started by jvh, January 23, 2020, 08:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

Quote from: jvh on June 11, 2020, 01:22:50 AM
Hello everyone,

new public version of TormekCalc2 is available (v2.14).

Wow!  Impressive!

Where did the materials info come from?

BTW... so far so good on Excel (Office) 365.   ;D
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

jvh

Quote from: john.jcb on June 11, 2020, 01:55:27 AM
One thing you might consider adding is grinding wheel circumference instead of diameter. Divide by pi for diameter.

Just add formula "=<grinding wheel circumference>/PI()" to the appropriate Real diameter D cell, e.g. =785,4/PI()

Quote from: cbwx34 on June 11, 2020, 01:58:39 AM

Sources are mentioned at the end of Materials sheet. Main were www.zknives.com, www.bladehq.com, www.agrussell.com, http://www.knifesteelnerds.com and Wiki. Some info was taken from steel producers specification.

jvh

Jan

JVH, thanks for sharing the updated version of TormekCalc2. Highly appreciated!

As an occasional knife maker I invite the new sheet with material parameters. I could imagine also basic heat treating info here.

Jan

cbwx34

Quote from: jvh on June 11, 2020, 10:28:48 AM
Quote from: cbwx34 on June 11, 2020, 01:58:39 AM

Sources are mentioned at the end of Materials sheet. Main were www.zknives.com, www.bladehq.com, www.agrussell.com, http://www.knifesteelnerds.com and Wiki. Some info was taken from steel producers specification.

jvh

Ok. Thanks.  (I did look...).  :-\

Probably one of the most comprehensive I've seen.

Fluehue

Can someone confirm that they can actually get a dropdown menu where you can choose machine in the TormekCalc sheet.
I can't get it to work even after reinstalling and trying every other trick i know.

I have tried three different computers and a mac and can't get a dropdown menu on any of them :(

Love the spreadsheet but really need this feature

jvh

Quote from: Fluehue on June 16, 2020, 11:50:40 PM
Can someone confirm that they can actually get a dropdown menu where you can choose machine in the TormekCalc sheet.
I can't get it to work even after reinstalling and trying every other trick i know.

I have tried three different computers and a mac and can't get a dropdown menu on any of them :(

Love the spreadsheet but really need this feature

Hello Fluehue,

thank you for your report in PM, I found the problem (different language version of Excel / translated names of functions). I will release updated version (2.15) as soon as possible.

jvh

jvh

Hello everyone,

new version of TormekCalc2 (v2.15) has just been released, please upgrade. Download link is in the first post.

News:

• Fixed error with generating Machine drop down lists on TormekCalc and BevelCalc sheets.

jvh

John_B

I am not sure if I asked this but I thought of it while reading posts on using a sharpie.

Do you think it would be useful to have the program give the sharpening angle using the USB height and wheel diameter as inputs. This way you could accurately know and in the future replicate any blades sharpening angle.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

jvh

Quote from: john.jcb on June 17, 2020, 07:17:49 PM
I am not sure if I asked this but I thought of it while reading posts on using a sharpie.

Do you think it would be useful to have the program give the sharpening angle using the USB height and wheel diameter as inputs. This way you could accurately know and in the future replicate any blades sharpening angle.

Hello,

do you mean BevelCalc? It's already part of TormekCalc2...

BevelCalc allows reverse calculation of Bevel (grinded) angle through "marker method". USB height measurement can be taken from the surface of the grinding wheel or on any type of USB.

jvh

Gilles

Hi john,
There is a very nice functionality in Excel that allows you to do it in the Tormek Calc Sheet. I dont know exactly the name as my Excel is in French.
In the Data Tools group, click the What-if Analysis drop-down and choose Goal seek.
'Set cell' is the USB value
'To value' is the USB Value for which you whant to know the angle
and 'By changing cell' is the grinding angle cell.
When you press OK, Excel search the grinding angle that gives the USB value you have specify.
I hope this answer your request
Gilles 
knowledge is a nice journey made of practice, study & sharing

HajoK

Moin,

another newbie with a T4 here.
First of all many thanks for this great tool! When I first heard about the Android app I thought this was screaming for an Excel implementation and considered figuring out the math myself. But I would never have gotten it that nice and complete.
Quotejvh kindly responded: "From some older notes I have:  VH=66  HH=29  HV=50  VV=20.  (I didn't double check... so do some testing to verify).
I tried to measure my T4 with a digital slide gauge and came up with VH = 67, HH = 29, HV= 49 and VV= 20. The off by 1mm could well be attributed to my sloppy measurement.
Anyway I used TormekCalc2 with these values instead of the WM-200 on the sixth knife I ever sharpened and am proud to say that this gave my best edge so far.

Hajo

cbwx34

Quote from: HajoK on June 24, 2020, 10:35:11 PM
Moin,

another newbie with a T4 here.
First of all many thanks for this great tool! When I first heard about the Android app I thought this was screaming for an Excel implementation and considered figuring out the math myself. But I would never have gotten it that nice and complete.
Quotejvh kindly responded: "From some older notes I have:  VH=66  HH=29  HV=50  VV=20.  (I didn't double check... so do some testing to verify).
I tried to measure my T4 with a digital slide gauge and came up with VH = 67, HH = 29, HV= 49 and VV= 20. The off by 1mm could well be attributed to my sloppy measurement.
Anyway I used TormekCalc2 with these values instead of the WM-200 on the sixth knife I ever sharpened and am proud to say that this gave my best edge so far.

Hajo

Thanks for doing this... I'm glad to see others taking measurements and posting the results. 

jvh

Hello HajoK,

thank you for your feedback and sharing measured constants of T-4.

As of version 2.14, an information table with a range of measured constants for various machines is on the Settings sheet (so far only constants for T-8 and T-4 are available).

Current T-4 constants ranges are (including your measurements):

HV 49,0-51,1
VV 19,5-20,0
HH 29,0
VH 66,0-67,0

If you want to check your constants setting, do it through T dimension (distance from USB to wheel surface S).

From TormekCalc2 FAQ:

Q: How can I check the height calculations for different Univesal support bars (USB's)?
A: Use T dimension (distance from USB to wheel surface S). This dimension stays the same for all USB's on the same wheel. Set the USB to the calculated distance T USB and then measure appropriate USB height. Compare measured value with the calculated one. If the values match, the constants for the selected support are set correctly, if not, the dimensions of the constants must be checked/re-measured. Repeat the procedure for next USB. Measure on trued wheel or use the same point on the surface to eliminate deviations given by an uneven wheel. You can use inserted spacer between the wheel and the USB for easy setting because precise measuring T distance can be tricky without suitable tool. Calculate the corresponding grinding angle in BevelCalc in this case.

jvh

cbwx34

Quote from: jvh on June 25, 2020, 10:20:19 AM
Current T-4 constants ranges are (including your measurements):

HV 49,0-51,1
VV 19,5-20,0
HH 29,0
VH 66,0-67,0

While I appreciate the work here, I'd like to offer a bit of caution to others, especially if you're new to this... Don't get caught up in the decimals. ;)

For example, using the "extremes" of the HV and VV measurements here, results in a change of less than 1°.

With all that is going on, I think it's a bit of a fallacy to think that we're making changes of fractions of a degree (especially when switching between different wheels or machines), and that these minute changes are producing claimed results.  I've seen others (and include myself here, when I first dove into this), make entire changes to their calculators, based on tiny changes in machine measurements.  IMO, just not possible to be that precise.

Nothing wrong with being as accurate as possible, but in most cases, it will make little difference.  Consistency is important too... so pick numbers that work for you, and just stick with them... don't change every time someone posts a new set of measurements.  Then find a consistent, repeatable way making the measurement and stick with it.

The goal here is simply an easy and more accurate way of setting angles on knives, and eliminating some of the issues that other methods have.  I think of it as a simple calculator that gives me a quick and repeatable result (which is why I now just use the 'T' distance between the USB and wheel... it simplifies the process), not a computer program giving me decimal point accuracy.  :)

(BTW, this in no way disparages the work done by jvh here... I just don't want others, especially if new, to get overwhelmed, or take it for more than it is).

Dutchman

Quote from: cbwx34 on June 25, 2020, 02:25:53 PM
The goal here is simply an easy and more accurate way of setting angles on knives, and eliminating some of the issues that other methods have.
A "simple adjustment" has become a religion with computer based rituals and glorification of decimals. ;)