News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

TormekCalc3 - Advanced grinding calculator

Started by jvh, January 23, 2020, 08:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jvh

Hello everyone,

let me introduce essential tool for all knife-sharpeners – TormekCalc.

TormekCalc is an Excel* spreadsheet that offers exact calculations and many advanced functions related to knife or tool grinding. It is new generation of the original spreadsheet TormekCalc. Although it may seem more complicated at first glance, for basic calculations you have to enter exactly the same values as in other calculators - Projection distance, Wheel diameter, Grinding angle (and measured machine-dependent constants).

Current version contains these sheets:

• TormekCalc

It allows to calculate the exact distances/angles of different types of support bars from the grinding wheels or machines housing and thus obtain accurate grinder setting data to get desired angle after sharpening knives or tools. Although the name implies use with Tormek grinders only, TormekCalc can be used with any type of grinder.

Main features:
    - Calculation of the Universal support bar (USB) height adjustment for all their types (Vertical, Horizontal, Frontal)
    - Calculation of angle between Universal support bars (USB) and grinding wheel surface which allows setting heigth of USBs with an inclinometer or angle meter
    - Calculation of the USB distance from the wheel surface
    - Grinding angle shift (e.g. for deburring where higher angle than initial is required)
    - Calculations are performed at the same time for all used grinding wheels!
    - Knife / Tool selection - loading stored Knife / Tool grinding data
    - Calculations can be made for different machines, machine selection is under grinding wheels
    - Database selection - loading data from different sheets (Knives or Tools)
    - Jig selection - loading stored jig specification
    - Visible height limits for universal supports US-105 and US-430
    - Knife / Tool info section – shows additional info for selected Knife / Tool
    - Blade material info section – shows additional material info for selected Knife / Tool

• BatchCalc [Non-public module]

Allows calculations for batch sharpening of multiple knives or tools without the need of repeated measuring because it calculates USB height difference between each steps and recalculates it to required Tormek Micro adjust nut turns. However all calculated heights are still available for USB setting or checking. For batch sharpening, of course, you need to have each knife or tool clamped in a separate jig. This version BatchCalc supports batch grinding up to 6 knives/tools in one go but it can be easily increased.

Using and capabilities can be found in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qtyTKqQb1g

Attention: For several different reasons, I have decided that Non-public modules will be freely available only to contributors and donors. Therefore shared public version of TormekCalc contains screenshot and the link to the presentation video only! There is a lot of work, time and know-how behind the development. If in doubt, please compare what the public version of TormekCalc (even the oldest) offers compared to commercially available applications. If you have further questions, you can send me a private message or e-mail message (see FAQ sheet in TormekCalc3).

• Knives and Tools

It allows storing data about sharpened Knives or Tools including used jig, clamping, grinding procedure etc.

- "Picture" column automatically generates jpeg file name + link. To view a picture copy it to subfolder "Knives"  or "Tools" with generated name.

• BevelCalc

Allows reverse calculation of Bevel (grinded) angle through "marker method". USB height measurement can be taken from the surface of the grinding wheel or on any type of USB, it is also possible to enter angle between grinding wheel surface and USB.

Jig selection - loading stored jig specification.
    Machine selection - loading stored machine constants.

• EdgeCalc

Allows calculation of the height and length of the grinded edge which depends on the edge thickness. Calculations are made for flat (ideal) grind and for grind on a wheel, which allows to show deviations caused by roundness of grinding wheels and compare ideal vs real grind. Stored grinding data can be loaded from database.

• CompCalc [Non-public module]

Allows calculation of the grinding angle compensation if wheels with different diameters are used for grinding.
    It is a problem which, as far as I know, was first described by Gilles in this post and calculated using the Polishing angle calc, which is still available there. CompCalc is based on Polishing angle calc, all credit belongs to Gilles.

• Materials

The sheet which allows storing and showing information about various materials used for knife or tool making and material related sharpening procedures or notes.

Basic material information and material related sharpening procedures/notes are also displayed in TormekCalc sheet if the knife/tool is selected through drop down list and blade material is stored in the Knives/Tools sheet. If an exact match isn't found in the Materials table, program tries to find first match in the material Aliases, if the search is successful, offers the matching material, if not, it tries to find the match in the Proprietary equivalents.

• Hardness

A new sheet containing information/convert tables for different hardness scales.

• Jigs

Allows storing properties of various jigs (even own or from other producers) and consequently using them for the calculations and for quick jigs selection through drop-down list. It includes Projection length correction X+ which is intended for cases where it's imposible accurately measure the projection length (measuring point inside the jig). Correction X+ is then automatically added to the length that was measured at another point on the jig (e.g. SE-77).

• Wheels [New]

New sheet which contains a list of available wheels for various Tormek grinders (T-8, T-4, etc.) and possibly for other ones. On the TormekCalc sheet, the wheels in use are selected from this list.

• Settings

Allows setting default values for all sheets in one place.

Allows specifying dimensional constants for different grinding machines. Defined machine setting can be used for calculation in TormekCalc and BevelCalc sheets and it helps in all situations when grinding on multiple machines. The machine selection allows automatic calculations without the need to manually enter dimensional corrections.
    Specification is universal and is not limited to Tormek machines only, it works virtually with any grinder.

• FAQ

Just a few answers to Frequently Asked Questions. (Single bevel knives, FVB, etc.)

• Languages

Multilanguage support. Currently available languages: English, Czech, French (thanks Gilles!) and German (thanks Stephan!)

• VB [New]

New sheet which contains VBA tools - Backup and Data Import from previous TormekCalc versions.

Ideas for improvement are welcome as well as feedback. Please feel free to contact me if you need any further information.

Enjoy!

jvh

*) Tested with versions Excel 2010, Excel 2013, Excel 2016, Excel 2019, Excel 2021. Not compatible with Excel 365 since version 3.10.
    Not compatible with Google Sheets and others which don't support Structured references.

Attention!

Due file size and forum restrictions (maximum individual size is 256 KB) is TormekCalc version 2.1+ available only via external web storage.

Download HERE (WebShare.cz, click Download File and then Download slowly, PM me for the password).

Current version 3.10
(TormekCalc_Public_v310.zip, packed size 2 859 167 bytes, TormekCalc_Public_v310.xlsm, unpacked size 3 000 289 bytes + sample pictures in the Knives and Tools folders.)

jvh

Screenshots...

Even

Thank you JHV!
It looks very good, i have used the V1 for a long time, and looking forward to use V2!
You have done a very good job!

Even

Jan

Jvh, than you very much for sharing the upgrade to your TormekCalc. In my thinking the TormekCalc2 is professionally made Excel spreadsheet which offers all what a Tormeker may need and even more. It is sophisticated script supplemented with perfect explanatory drawings. 

Thank you for offering the software for free. It's very generous! You made me very happy! I do not even want to think what price would be, for such a unique software, charged by some entrepreneurs.

Jan

RichColvin

JVH:

I've added this to the Sharpening Handbook :  http://sharpeninghandbook.info/indexCalcTormekCalc2.html

Please let me know if you'd like any changes.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Oldhand

Just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your sharing your work on this. I look forward to "checking my work" with your spreadsheet using the marker method, as well as many other fine features. This was not an easy task to put together - thank you again for this. Haven't used it yet (though I have your earlier version, along with some modifications I've made myself - but here's everything I was thinking of and a whole lot more). I'm already excited about it. I do many things well, but trigonometry and spreadsheets are not two of them!

DiAngelo2003

JVH,

Thank you for this super Excel sheet.
Extreme happy with it.

Also thank you for your help with setting up my FVB, it works super.

Harold

Ornias

Wow, I just noticed this.
Awesome, this works even nicer than an application, because it generates values for multiple disks at one go.
SuperGrind 2000 owner (restoring) - Maintainer of SharpCalc - Modification Enthousiast

Petter

I posted this on the newbie forum (Tips and tricks) and got kind responses and was asked to repost here. Anybody have these constants for T-4?

I am a total newbie and I am trying to use TormekCalc for T-4 but none of the constants are available for that machine.

Looking for constants for T-4: VH, HH, HV, VV as shown in the attached drawing

jvh kindly responded: "From some older notes I have:  VH=66  HH=29  HV=50  VV=20.  (I didn't double check... so do some testing to verify).

Also just so you know, you can use the "T USB" measurement... which measures from the top of the USB to the top of the wheel... that measurement doesn't need the machine measurements.  (The machine measurements only matter if you're setting the USB by measuring to the machine).  :)"

Bryan D

Very nice work for a complex level of geometry.  I am having difficulty with errors after unzipping the two files. I also downloaded and installed the full file from the website using the Slow Download. The Dropdown feature for the Knives worksheet is disabled or does not work in the TormekCalc worksheet.  I am attaching the results of the repair log file. 

I am using Excel 2007 if that is the issue.

Regards
Bryan D
Saskatchewan is a Time Zone.

jvh

Quote from: Bryan D on May 19, 2020, 04:47:05 PM
I am using Excel 2007 if that is the issue.

Regards
Bryan D

Hello,

thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately Excel 2007 isn't supported. There are problems with data validation (was in your report), conditional formatting and function "Aggregate" is missing. Sorry.

jvh

Bryan D

I installed Excel 2010. Everything is working. I had developed an Excel worksheet to calculate the vertical height of the USB but it was just for the three grades of Tormek diamond wheels that I use. Your calculated numbers are "bang on".  I can appreciate the many hours you poured into the development of the TormekCalc2.  Thank you for that and thank you for sharing. 

Best regards

Bryan
Saskatchewan is a Time Zone.

jvh

Hello everyone,

new public version of TormekCalc2 is available (v2.15).

Main News:

• Materials

New sheet which allows storing and showing information about various materials used for knife or tool making and material related sharpening procedures or notes.

Basic material information and material related sharpening procedures/notes are also displayed in TormekCalc sheet if the knife/tool is selected through drop down list and blade material is stored in the Knives/Tools sheet. If an exact match isn't found in the Materials table, program tries to find first match in the material Aliases, if the search is successful, offers the matching material, if not, it tries to find the match in the Proprietary equivalents.

Currently 167 materials are in table + their aliases and proprietary equivalents. Not all data are filled in, nor sharpening procedures. If you want to participate and complete them just send me updated material list.

• Filtered drop down lists

If you apply any Filter in the tables Knives, Tools or Materials related drop down lists are filtered too. Useful for easier selection when a large number of records are in these tables.

• Wheels

Added composite honing wheel CW-220 to the Wheel table.

• And much more

Internal changes, more setting options, FAQ update. See internal help in cell's comments for more info.

Ideas for improvement are welcome as well as feedback. Please feel free to contact me if you need any further information.

Enjoy!

jvh

John_B

Thanks for the update.

One thing you might consider adding is grinding wheel circumference instead of diameter. Divide by pi for diameter.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease