News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

D2 planer blade... Grinding hollow grind bevels on a knife blade

Started by RustyGunn, May 04, 2016, 08:47:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RustyGunn

Hi. I have a T7 ordered today. I'm very impressed with it. I seen quute a bit of videos on it.

Well, one of the reasons I ordered the T7 is to make hollow grinds on 1.5 inch long neck knives. I'm not sure if the jigs that come with it would work though, or if I got to do it freehand.
The D2 steel is ready to use planer blades one inch tall, one-eight thick and will be 4 to 6 inches long.
Anyone here ever use a T7 as a hollow grinder for small neck knives?
By the way, I will be pre-grinding the bevels (and blade profile) on a variable speed bench grinder. This way the T7 won't have too much material to remove.

Any one making knives with the T7?
Thanks.

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, RustyGunn.

I have never made a knife. However, I have made grinding tests with a metal lathe cutting bit. A forum search should produce my tests using Norton 3X wheels wet wuth the Tormek. The eight inch 3X wheels will work with the T7. This would give you faster grinding with the cool grinding, dust and spark free Tormek environment.

Post again if you want more info; there are no forum secrets.

Ken

RustyGunn

Thank you for responding. I'll check into the Norton wheels.
Norton 3x 8 inch gringing wheels, these work in water, eh? Thanks.

RustyGunn

I did  a search here and found one reference to using the 3x stone on lathe bits.

So, a quick google search brought up the Norton 3x Blue 8x1x1 wherl.
I was hoping for a 2 inch wide wheel, but ain't complaining.

I didn't see a reference to wet grinding, but saw one for dry grinding. Is this the one (Blue) that can go in water?
It does say its the coolest wheel available.

Any other experience using this 3x on D2 steel?

Ken S

I use them wet. I suspect they will also work dry with the Tormek, however, I am spoiled by Tormek's cool, dust and spark free environment.

Do a forum search "norton 3x". It will bring up numerous posts.

Ken

Ken S

Our posts crossed en route.

Two inch width would be luxurious, however, one inch is all that are available. Incidentally, the eight inch diameter Nortons work as well on the T7 as a Tormek wheel worn to eight inches. As I state, they are not ideal for the Tormek, but are quite serviceable.

I have never worked with D2 steel. Both 3X grit Norton wheels work well with metal lathe tool bits. I would guess D2 would be OK as well.

Be sure to read the instructions I have included about adapting the bore to 12mm; dressing the wheels; and drying them.

Keep posting if you have more questions!

Ken

RustyGunn

To clarify, I also have a Delta 8-inch variable speed bench grinder on order. Its where the 3x will go if I buy one.
I want to see how the Delta ant.Tormek grinders work as-is first.
I figure to profile and pre-grind the bevel on the Delta, then move to the Tormek to finish up the bevels.
This method should work, but might be slow. I will keep researching this as I ho. Let the fun begin.

Ken S

I have no experience with Delta's grinding wheels. They might work fine. I see they are 36 and 60 grit. That is a better combination than the finer grit wheels that used to come with grinders.

I first used the 46 grit 3X wheel with my 6 inch dry grinder. A friend asked me to sharpen two ancient splitting wedges with very mushroomed heads. My eighty grit white wheel was no match for them. I bought the 3X 46 grit wheel and it did the job. I first tested that six inch wheel with the T4, the six inch diameter not reaching the water trough of the T7. It made quick work of grinding a bolt. At that point I ordered the two eight inch 3X wheels. They work on either the T4 or the T7, better on the T 4.

Stop grinding on the dry grinder before you reach a sharp edge. A thicker blunt edge is less likely to overheat than a thinner edge.

Ken

RustyGunn

Thanks for the info. I certainly will be sure to watch the edge thickness.
I will be dipping the blades in cold water to keep them from over heating.
Thank you, Ken, for the advice and info on the 3x wheel.
My T7 will be sent today (Thursday). I am eager to sharpen all the dull knives in the house!

Ken S

RustyGunn,

Please consider my chisel advice (now the permanently first topic in the general Tormek part of the forum. I believe becoming fluent with a 3/4" chisel will get you off to a good start with any kind of sharpening.

Good luck and enjoy!

Keep us posted.

Ken

RustyGunn

RustyGunn

My T7 Chef's Bundle arrived today. I got a chance to open the box this evening and took a look at the manual and other paperwork.
I had to get back to work, so I didn't remove the machine from the box.
I figure tomorrow I will have more time to read the manual and check out the T7.

Ken S

Your pleasure with your new Tormek will increase as your skill increases.

Enjoy, and keep us posted!

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: RustyGunn on May 11, 2016, 09:41:49 AM
My T7 Chef's Bundle arrived today. I got a chance to open the box this evening and took a look at the manual and other paperwork.
I had to get back to work, so I didn't remove the machine from the box.

Send it back and get a T-8.
Origin: Big Bang

Stickan

Herman,
Even if the T-8 has several benefits, the T-7 was sold the last month for a better price and is still a very good machine.
I know that for many new users the discount on the T-7 made them to the purchase knowing the T-8 would be a bit more expensive.

Best,
Stig