News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Recent posts

The difference is to adjust to the difference in wheel thicknesses. The US-105 is designed for the 50mm thickness of the SG-250 and other 250mm diameter wheels. The US-103 is specifically designed for the 40mm thickness of the SG-200 and other T4 wheels. Many years ago, we had a forum post by a member whose chisel was falling off the edge of his support bar. He was using the shorter US-103 with the thicker SG-250 wheel.

I agree with TGB about the onger US-430 support bar. It is a must for knives longer than eight inches.

Ken
If you ever intend to sharpen knives, at least anything beyond short knives, I think a US-430 is well worth the price difference.
I found this:

Quote from: Ken S on September 15, 2019, 12:09:24 AMI have found several uses for the universal support bars not directly mentioned in the handbook. My support bars are not limited to the standard issue US-105 (T7/8) or US-103(T3/4, 10mm shorter than the US-105).

In some swedish shops the US-103 costs more than 105 which doesn't make sense. Also the weight spec on Tormeks site might be wrong also.
General Tormek Questions / US-103 & US-105 difference?
Last post by Swemek - Today at 10:51:02 AM
Hi,

I can not not find out what the difference is between the two, all i could find was that the 103 weights 74 grams and the 105 72 grams. I know that 105 is for the larger models.

The reason for asking is i'm considering MB-102 for my T4 and would like to have a second US mainly for MB-102.

Can someone fill me in?

Thanks!
Knife Sharpening / Re: SP-650 use on SJ-250
Last post by tgbto - Today at 09:32:00 AM
I second what John wrote. That being said, I never use the SP-650 on the SJ, as it gets quickly full of blue sludge, and the SJ is so soft that I would be afraid it got way too easily out of square if I don't hold the SP-650 perfectly square to the stone. It could also go out-of-round easily as the SP is very aggressive for the SJ.

Rather, I keep it clean with a rust eraser, and true it from time to time using the diamond tool (and making sure I always go into the stone with the diamond tip, not out of it). The surface might be slightly rough right after truing, but essentially because of artefacts left by the truing tool. The surface will get back to smooth as silk after a few seconds of sharpening.

Another useful tip is the grading procedure demonstrated by Wootz, using a very fine diamond plate and very little pressure (to avoid getting the stone out-of-round).
Quote from: AlInAussieLand on Today at 01:53:01 AMDid you get that of original Tormek diamond wheels ?

Yes - I got the DE-250 for $449 but i had to be patient
Knife Sharpening / Re: New angle jig KS-123
Last post by cbwx34 - Today at 02:26:07 AM
Quote from: John Hancock Sr on Today at 02:05:01 AMNow all we need is one for the SE-77

Rich Colvin has a jig he made for using with the SE-77 that you might find helpful...

Projection Jig for the TTS-100
Knife Sharpening / Re: T4 Blackstone
Last post by John Hancock Sr - Today at 02:09:51 AM
Quote from: jkSharp on Today at 12:09:22 AMWould any T8 user be willing to sell/send me a worn down T8 Blackstone?

That would definitely work.
Knife Sharpening / Re: SP-650 use on SJ-250
Last post by John Hancock Sr - Today at 02:08:47 AM
No. It works by reducing the size of the exposed particles on the wheel. Since the size of the particles on the SJ are 5,000 grit then that will be the lowest grit the wheel will be. The SP will not "increase" grit size, only decrease.
Knife Sharpening / Re: New angle jig KS-123
Last post by John Hancock Sr - Today at 02:05:01 AM
Now all we need is one for the SE-77