News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Small knife jig per Tormek User Group

Started by Elden, April 19, 2013, 12:24:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elden

There was an interesting discussion of a small knife jig in the Tormek User Group (post #3187) starting on Feb 3, 2007. It started by modifying a Lo-Ray or Lansky style blade holder. It clamps the blade instead of the handle like the SVM-00.  It would eliminate scratching of the blade from being in contact with a rest. It would be limited to smaller (possibly medium sized) blades.  There are pictures in the appropriate photo album.

Check it out on the Tormek User Group. As stated in a previous thread, you must be a member to access.

Another idea to play with!  :)  I'm not saying saying this is better, just another approach that came up several years ago.
Elden

Elden

On Feb. 23, 2007, Ken Kelley posted on the Tormek User Group about a prototype small knife jig he made.

Below is communication with Ken where he granted me permission to post his information on his small knife jig.

Hello Ken,

I  have fairly recently joined the Tormek User Group. Your post on the small
knife jig in Feb. 2007 really interested me. You mentioned what you made was
a prototype. Did you go on to tweak it further? If you posted about it, I
missed finding it.

I also am a member of the Tormek Community moderated by Jeff Farris. Would
you allow your work (your post) and pictures to be posted on the Tormek
Community? It would be entirely attributed to you if you will allow me to do
so.

You would be welcome to post it there yourself if you would rather. Feel
free to check out the Tormek Community if you haven't and join in. We try to
be a friendly group.

Thank you,
Elden Hunter

Elden,

Feel free to use the pictures as you see fit. I played with that jig for a
while then found that I could do the job free hand a lot easier. I resort to
the standard Tormek large knife jig to sharpen a few of my larger chef's
knives and that's about it. Everything else in the inventory takes its
chances with my free handing skill.

K

Elden

Elden

Posted Feb. 3, 2007 by Ken Kelly on the Tormek User Group, message #3187

I got a wild hair this afternoon after reading about the problems we
have with smallish blades and the SVM-45 so I decided to brave the
snow and play in the shop for awhile. I've had an idea about somehow
converting a Lo-Ray or Lansky blade holder into something usable on
my Tormek so I fired up the little Taig micro-mill, threw a couple
more logs in the stove, and let fly. I posted some pictures in the
photo section of my shop built KWK-44 and a half mini-knife jig.
Please keep in mind when you look at the pictures that this is purely
a prototype to see if the idea is feasible. Turns out that it is so
I will make another one and spend a little more time making it look
nice and using all aluminum parts. Might even measure closer than to
the nearest half-inch while I'm at it. And any constructive
criticism as to my design is more than welcome.

The rod you see in the shots is a piece of half-inch hot rolled steel
bar because I didn't want to waste any of my expensive brass rod and
I was out of 1/2" aluminum. I keep plenty of steel on hand so I
experimented with that. I milled .050 off both sides of the Lo-Ray
holder and replaced the little round headed screw on the original
with a flat-head 3/8" 10-24 machine screw. This will allow more
clearance for small blades. The stock screw gets in the way when you
use the Lo-Ray with small blades at a low bevel angle in the stock
sharpener configuration. By replacing the stock screw and milling
off some of the thickness, I was able to get a 15 degree angle on the
Tormek grindstone with my smallest pocketknife blade without binding
anything.

I had to mill over half the steel rod away and about 1/8" from the
back of one side of the blade holder to center the blade so when you
turn it over to do the other side the bevel angle stays constant.
That took me a little trial and error and when I build the working
model, I'll take pains to measure with more care than I did on the
prototype. As with just about every other project, you build one for
fun just to see how it works then get serious on the real one. Hence
the use of materials at hand...notice the turned wooden disc used in
place of the screw-in adjuster doohicky on the Tormek jig.

This will work. I don't think there is any real need for a mill to
make one of these jobbies. Judicious file work will do fine. It's
probably not necessary to use a steel bar for the shaft either. I
imagine you could use plastic or wood just as well because you won't
be putting a lot of stress on the rig when sharpening small blades.

Now, having done all this work, mostly just to see if I could come up
with a working device, I'll probably continue to sharpen small blades
on Razor Edge paper wheels. Most likely I'll reserve the jig for
regrinding the bevel on an abused blade. And we never abuse our
pocket knives, now do we?

Ken

I believe that this would be another good and workable approach to the small knife scenario.
Google  loraysharpener.com  to get in touch with LoRay.
I think that Gatco or Lansky holders could be modified as well.
Elden
Elden

Herman Trivilino

That's a fine piece of workmanship.  It's basically a SVM-45 with an altered geometry to allow for smaller knives and smaller bevel angles?
Origin: Big Bang

Rob

Best.    Rob.

Elden

That is what it appears to be to me. I think the machining he did was  on the outside of the clamp jaws where you can see the step. Don't know if he decreased the taper angle of the jaws any or not. Think I might try it. Enjoy the fabrication end more than the sharpening. Guess that is my form of "woodworking".

Elden

Elden

Rob, it's interesting that this idea has been "there" since 2007. You can figure that Tormek keeps an eye there as well as here. It would be interesting why they pursued clamping the handle instead of the blade. The thing that comes to mind is, some small blades probably still couldn't be clamped. For instance see picture below.

I know this is a disposable blade, but a carving knife or such with a similar blade.
Elden

Herman Trivilino

Yes, Elden, I think you're right.  Grabbing the handle instead of the blade is more versatile.  There's no such thing as a too-small blade.

Rob

This debate runs and runs. It's interesting to see the variation in prototypes but its clear the underlying principle is correct. Variations on a theme basically

Elden, it would be interesting to monitor you going through a fabrication process. Personally, I'm strictly wood ie I don't really do metal. But I'm becoming more interested as I come to appreciate the extra versatility its strengths offer (particularly in jig creation)

The other thing that appeals with metal versus wood in some applications is that it doesn't move with changing moisture. You probably appreciate that in England, moisture availability isn't a problem!!!
Best.    Rob.

Rhino

Thanks the sharing the jig.

I have a Lansky that I don't use anymore - the stone is all worn out.  I have thought about turning it into a jig but could not figure out how. 

One thing I thought of is just to buy another small knife jig and grind it down a bit, thin it a bit, to make a small small knife jig.  Since it is dedicated to small small knives only, you don't need all the strength of a full size small knife jig.

Herman Trivilino

Just be careful when grinding aluminum.  It'll clog most grindstones, including the Tormek.  I'm told there are special grindstones for aluminum, but I've found it's pretty easy to work by hand with a file.

Rhino

Thanks for the tip about aluminum.  I did not know that's what it is made of - it is a cast aluminum part.  I don't have much machinery exposure.  If I do decide to make it, I'll use a file which hopefully generate bigger particles.  Don't want to breath aluminum dust.

Elden

Rhino,

Aluminum can be filed very easily. Be prepared to clean your file often. A wire brush or file card will do well.

As Ken Kelley stated it:
I don't think there is any real need for a mill to make one of these jobbies. Judicious file work will do fine. It's probably not necessary to use a steel bar for the shaft either. I imagine you could use plastic or wood just as well because you won't be putting a lot of stress on the rig when sharpening small blades.
Elden

Elden

Quote from: Rob on April 23, 2013, 10:22:34 AM
Elden, it would be interesting to monitor you going through a fabrication process.

Rob, I'll try to document it. I haven't ordered  a Loray holder yet. I had been considering making it from raw stock. Probably would be best to get one first then decide if I would want to make one afterwards.
Elden

Don Green

Just a note:  I looked at the SVM-00 jig and for all practical purposes found it to be almost useless.   As a woodcarver, I make all my own knives including the handles.  As a result none are the same as far as deminsions are concerned.  Unless the handle of the knive is machine made, I don't think the end result would be acceptable.

Don