News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Photobucket picture uploading tests

Started by Rob, March 02, 2013, 05:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grepper

Herman,  Apparently correct:
http://support.photobucket.com/entries/21893042-Select-Upload-Options-sizes-

Rob, check the image file properties of both the ipad and the DSLR image files.  What are the dimensions?  This should give you an idea:

I scaled this picture to 317x157:

Rob

Final experiment to calibrate the amount of reduction I need to configure photoshop to do...then I have my algorithm al set to go.

These two are 20% and 10% of original size respectively

Best.    Rob.

Rob

This is 15% which Im hoping should be about right

My DSLR (which is a Canon EOS 20D) is 8Megapixels so a compression ratio of somewhere between 10 and 20% of the original image size seems to be about right a) get it on screen sensibly and b) not lose too much detail.

Best.    Rob.

Rob

Hang on....something went wrong there??
Best.    Rob.

Rob

500 pixels adjustment made in photobucket

Best.    Rob.

Rob

Right then....even better....modify the szie in photobuckets on board editor...then you dont have to mess about in photoshop etc.  Mind you Herman is using Paint which I tried also.  Personal preference for me now is Photobucket though because all the pics are in a library and I found that convenient.

Just choose 500 pixels as the horizontal count, it preserves the aspect ratio and this photo size is the result ie about perfect I reckon
Best.    Rob.

grepper

These wood things that you guys make are really pretty!  Love the wood colors and grain!  I can see where it would become a really addictive hobby. 

If I were to start with gouging out a small bowl, is a couple of different size gouges all I would need?  (I'd like to have a lathe and turn burls, but... you know).

And, if the gouge got dull, I'd have something to sharpen again. :)

Rob

Not sure we're on the same page with this Mark

All the pics I posted including the bowls were created using a lathe.  You certainly could turn a bowl using only one bowl gouge and no other tool at a push but as you progresed you might want other tools like a scraper and perhaps a 1/2" gouge for the outside and a 3/8" to hollow the inside.

But you cant do it without a lathe Im afraid.....its then wood carving. Well...you can do it...but you wouldnt have anything to plug in...
Best.    Rob.

Rob

Ive also just noticed that like a total pratt Ive gone and deleted the pics from photobucket after I conducted those size tests....so of course the pics have vanished from the forum!!

Note to self......get new brain!
Best.    Rob.

Rob

Best.    Rob.

Rob

here's a few  more Mark......
Best.    Rob.

Rob

now Im really confused.  All of those pics were sized at 500 pixels width in PB....and yet theyve come out big again...weird
Best.    Rob.

grepper

"Not sure we're on the same page with this Mark"

Um, Rob, I really don't even have a "page" that I'm starting from. :)  I'm totally clueless here.

Even to me, it's obvious when stuff is turned on a lathe.  I had just looked at that last pic, the one with the beautiful bowl, and thought that was very cool, and thought that I might play around by scratching something out of a little stump, or something.

I guess what I really want is a lathe!

Rob

oh you do Mark....believe me once you start turning....there's no turning back (you see how I did that)
Best.    Rob.

Herman Trivilino

I can't figure out how to put the actual photobucket photograph into my post.  All I can do with success is post the link to the photobucket photo.
Origin: Big Bang