News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Photobucket picture uploading tests

Started by Rob, March 02, 2013, 05:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

Please excuse my indulgence. Photobucket has various different config options for posting pics directly up into threads. I'm just testing which works. All those wishing to post pics should benefit

First option is what pb call Direct link

]
Best.    Rob.

Rob

Wow that's so big you have to tap and scroll left and right, next option coming up

This ones called HTML code

Best.    Rob.

Rob

So HTML code yielded nothing at all

Next option is called img code

[/img]
Best.    Rob.

Rob

Again nothing

Next option is called img thumb

[/URL][/img]
Best.    Rob.

Rob

Again nothing

Last option is called email and im

Best.    Rob.

Rob

So it appears only the direct link option in photobucket pastes a picky direct to a thread

I have no idea why the size is so big?  This was snapped with an ipad so the cameras rubbish and I would have expected a much smaller rendition

Best.    Rob.

Rob

mm Ive just realised the screen scrolling thing is only due to the screen size of the ipad.  Im now viewing this on my laptop which of course has a much wider screen and its fine ie no scroll needed.  It must be the ipad truncating the size to fit on its smaller screen.

This upload is with a decent camera and not the ipad direct via pb website and not using the app on the ipad to see if it makes any difference, here goes

Best.    Rob.

Rob

that seems better....no orientation problems doing it from their website.  So use the direct link option from the 5 different link options in photobucket if you want to post a pic.  An account with Photobucket is of course free of charge...I signed up before starting this experiment
Best.    Rob.

Herman Trivilino

Rob, the reason the pictures are so big is because you made them so.  The higher the resolution the bigger the picture.  You have two option.  Reduce the size by trimming unwanted stuff from the edges of the picture.  The other option is to reduce the resolution.

You can do this with any photo editing software.  As I said, I like Paint.  To reduce the resolution you just reduce the size.
Origin: Big Bang

Rob

thanks Herman I saw that.  Thats why I tested with the digital SLR and the ipad.  I still dont quite understand it though, my digital SLR tales multi mega pixels whereas the ipad camera is rubbish....yet via photobucket they both are rendering the same size here.  Their resolutions are poles apart.

Ill try taking some deliberately low res pics with my DSLR and then post them....but not now....barn dance to go to with the kids....deep joy!
Best.    Rob.

grepper

The forum apparently simply displays the image at it's original size.  So, let's say you have a camera that takes 3 MB pictures.  On Windows at least, right click on the picture and select Properties.  There it will display the "dimensions" of the image.

The computer screen displays is just a bunch of dots, sort of like a newspaper has lots of dots of ink.  The dots on the computer screen are called pixels (picture elements).

So, if you multiply the width x height of an image, let's say it's 2048x1536=3145728 or a 3MB picture.

So, let's say that your computer display is 800x600 (common for old notebooks).  That's 800 pixels across by 600 pixels high.  If you then display a picture that is 2048 across and 1536 high, it's not going to fit on the screen.  Hence, scroll bars are displayed.

If you display an image the 400x300 on your 800x600 screen, it's going to go 1/2 across the screen and 1/2 way down.

Most computer screens now are at least 1024x768 of even 2x, 3x, 4x that big.  But... to be easily displayed, just keep your images small (in dimension).  Generally 400x200 or smaller.

You can download free image editing software that can "scale" images and then save them their new smaller size.  One example is PhotoScape: http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/index.php

Most image editing software will handle scaling both the height/width automatically.  Possibly with an option Keep Image Aspect Ratio, or something.  Or allow you to select 1/3, 1/2 size etc.  Or let you set the height and it will automatically calculate the width.  The idea is that you must reduce/enlarge the height/width equally or you will end up with a rubber band effect. 

The higher the resolution of the image (heightxwidth), the larger the image dimensions.

Does that help?  If not, let me know.  I happen to know all about this stuff.

Rob

no worries mark.  thanks for that.  I use photoshop so wont have any problems scaling.  gotta dash now. Later all
Best.    Rob.

Rob

Best.    Rob.

Rob

lol thats 1/3 size....might need to go a bit further.
Best.    Rob.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Rob on March 02, 2013, 06:56:35 PM
I still dont quite understand it though, my digital SLR tales multi mega pixels whereas the ipad camera is rubbish....yet via photobucket they both are rendering the same size here. 

Photobucket probably downsizes the high resolution pictures.
Origin: Big Bang