News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T8 Recommendations?

Started by cb200t, January 02, 2024, 03:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cb200t

Quote from: Dan on January 14, 2024, 11:45:53 AM
Quote from: cb200t on January 13, 2024, 05:23:11 AMOne irritation I experienced was flooding. When I was sharpening the hand plane blades, I set the SE-77 stops up to allow the plane blade to overhang the inside edge such that 1/4" of blade material was still on the grinding wheel. This allowed water to drip onto the top of the machine, but it doesn't seem to be returning to the water tray. Rather, it was falling onto my workbench and running onto the floor. I tried propping the opposite side up 1/4", but this made no difference. The water tray was in the fully seated position. Is this normal? What have others done to avoid this?

Initially, I was skeptical that the rotating base was really necessary. After lifting the machine around to sharpen 8 chisels and a plane blade, I am no longer skeptical. In fact, I went so far as to make my own rotating base just to get through the sharpening session and then ordered the base this evening.

For the water problem, a simple (and cheap!) solution I found was a plastic gardening tray underneath the Tormek. This cost me 6 euros and is extremely effective at keeping any water spillage off the support/bench.
photo here

Tormek do propose a rubber mat for this purpose, of course.
https://tormek.com/en/products/accessories/rm-533-rubber-work-mat

Danny
P.S. I just put my machine stand on wheels and pull it out in use. This means going round the other side to hone, of course but is an alternative to a rotating base  ;D
I did think having the Tormek sitting on a pull out drawer mechanism would be a great idea with drawers underneath for Tormek stuff but in the end this was simplest for me.

Thanks Danny! The gardening tray is a good idea. I used an old cutting board with a juice groove that seems to be working reasonably well. I am going to have a drip tray 3D printed which should help significantly as well.

Good idea putting your machine on wheels! That should help a lot to maintain an open area for your work space.

Alex

3D Anvil

Ken S

Granted that cafeteria trays and dog food trays will work well. However, while researching the choice of a tray, we should not overlook the option of the Tormek Rubber Work Mat. Yes, it is expensive; however, it is the Tormek of work mats. It is a quality product made for Tormek by the company which also makes the tires for Range Rover. It is well sized to work with the Tormek. It has a high wall all around and is of thick construction. It truly is a joy to use and, unlike most Tormek accessories, will be used every time we sharpen a tool or knife.

Ken

Dan

Quote from: Ken S on January 24, 2024, 05:17:16 PMGranted that cafeteria trays and dog food trays will work well. However, while researching the choice of a tray, we should not overlook the option of the Tormek Rubber Work Mat. Yes, it is expensive...
Ken, when I saw how expensive (80 euros!) I definitely overlooked it and went for my plastic tray (6 euros) ;D

Danny

HaioPaio

Ken
I would prefer if you, as a moderator, would not step into the shoes of the marketing and sales persons.

GeoBoy

Ken, your comments and insights are very much appreciated.

Ken S

I can see how my last reply might seem like I was stepping into the shoes of the marketing and sales department. That was not my intention, and I will be more careful to avoid that impression in the future.

I did start my reply by acknowledging that other tray options work well and stating that the Tormek rubber work mat is expensive. My intention was to present the whole story. Why is the Tormek product so expensive? Looking at the big picture, whether or not it is worth the extra cost is an individual decision.

Looking at my other posts, I am not always pro Tormek marketing. Ever since it's introduction, I have been one of the small minority advocating the T4. Again, the T4 vs T8 decision is a personal choice. I favor the choice which best suits the users real needs.

I frequently discourage new users from purchasing a set of super abrasive wheels, whether diamond or CBN. I firmly believe that most new users benefit most from first mastering the SG. I also believe that purchasing an SJ is best postponed.

I have not jumped on the bandwagon trumpeting the T8 Black Edition. There is nothing wrong with it. For the limited edition market, it is reasonably priced. Mechanically, it is the same as the T8 Original, a well proven design. I will not be around to test the fifty year warranty, although I would not be surprised to see any Tormek still functioning for fifty years.

Years ago, our member, Rob, claimed to be the chief cynic. I claimed the titles of head cheerleader and chief critic.  I try to fulfill both roles.

Ken

TireguyfromMA

I got my TORMEK rubber mat about 2 years ago and have to say I'm very happy with it. It was a lot, $70USD, but it's built to last a lifetime, does a great job a containing any water that runs off the machine, and due to it's heavy weight and type of rubber it doesn't move around at all.  I'm pretty confident I'll be able to put my T8, all the jigs, and tools in my will to my grand children... :)

TheSeldomSeenKid

@cb200t
You may find this amusing:
When I first started using my Tormek, my wife walked into the shop and asked why I was standing in a puddle of water.

I still spill with long knives but this is caught in an old baking tray. The tray sticks well enough to the mat on the table that it doesn't slide, but can be rotated easily for honing. When I am done I lift the Tormek out of the tray and drain the coolant through a coffee filter into the graduated used coolant container.

smcinco