News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Question to those of you who sharpen multiple knives...

Started by JustADudeInSweden, January 27, 2022, 01:05:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nevertakeadayoff

The SG stone always wears in the middle. I see it wear after doing 1 or 2 blades. I detect it by putting the aluminum backside of a sharpening stone (or any flat surface) on the wheel and shine a flashlight behind. I fix it with a 400grit diamond stone. I bought the truing tool before I thought of using a diamond stone. As long as I keep it maintained, I will never need the truing tool.

Also, I don't like the truing tool. Too loose and it doesn't produce a smooth surface (probably because the diamond bit isn't cut well). Need to hit it with the diamond stone after anyways. I put zip ties on it to tight it up, but still not something I want to use again.

I notice wobble. Up and down wobble. It is very weird... seems like sometimes I can unscrew the lock, rotate the wheel some and it goes away or isn't as bad. I hate changing stones. Considering getting a 2nd T4 for the SJ wheel.

I love the Tormek! My knives get really sharp really quick! Maintaining the mirror edge is easy. If I have to go back to using EdgePro or Haptsone, I'll forget about knives and shift focus to my guns.

tgbto

I'd concur with cb : the wheel may get out of round with the diamond plate, though with the small quantity of knives I sharpen it takes a rather long time. Once it starts to be so, there is no coming back and it will only get worse. The truing tool with take care of this.

JustADudeInSweden

Quote from: nevertakeadayoff on January 30, 2022, 11:36:55 PM
I love the Tormek! My knives get really sharp really quick! Maintaining the mirror edge is easy. If I have to go back to using EdgePro or Haptsone, I'll forget about knives and shift focus to my guns.

I agree.

I have one of the Edgepro chinese knockoffs, got the whole kit for around 55€ - I don't use it anymore and will probably be offering it as a youtube giveaway.

Sweden - not so easy to own guns but I do have fond memories of my visits to the US and gun ranges  ;)

Quote from: tgbto on January 31, 2022, 08:02:56 AM
I'd concur with cb : the wheel may get out of round with the diamond plate, though with the small quantity of knives I sharpen it takes a rather long time.
Yup, I too have few knives so I've offered sharpening for sis, mom and friends too :)

Call me weird, but I find it relaxing to grind the knives... ::) :o
Getting Jiggy With It

Beaker

Regarding the question posed in the original post.  I generally change wheels when I sharpen. SG-250, Sun Tiger 800, and SJ-250 (skipping the SG-250 when the main bevel is already set.  However, I purchased multiple SVM-45 knife jigs so that I can set up four knives in the jigs and progress them all through the stones and honing without the annoyance of unclamping and resetting the knives between each stone. As Ken indicated, unclamping and re-clamping in the exact same location is annoying, if not impossible.

capt rich

I'm a newbie also. I put painters tape on the blade and mark with a magic marker. It's easier to reclamp. I some times mark the blade and always clean the blades with spray alcohol.

Pietje

Quote from: JustADudeInSweden on January 27, 2022, 01:05:00 AM
Hey!

curious to know if you (who sharpen many knives per day) do the above for each knife or do something like:

I thought in the same way like you.
I solved it by buying a diamond wheel 360 for the first grinding, so the standart stone is always prepared to 1000.

JustADudeInSweden

Quote from: Pietje on March 16, 2022, 02:40:05 AM
Quote from: JustADudeInSweden on January 27, 2022, 01:05:00 AM
Hey!

curious to know if you (who sharpen many knives per day) do the above for each knife or do something like:

I thought in the same way like you.
I solved it by buying a diamond wheel 360 for the first grinding, so the standart stone is always prepared to 1000.

Interesting solution :) How long does the diamond wheel last? (I have no experience with it)
Getting Jiggy With It

Pietje

Hey!
I didn´t got it dull. But only since 6 month. Ask the forum for the standing.
But the anticorrosive liquid is expensive over the time. Better look vor CBM Discs.
And no japanese Waterstone! Look for a CBN too.
Look at https://schleifjunkies.de/shop/
He sends internalional wide.

Good luck
Pietje

Ken S

Whenever anyone states that the anti corrosion compound is expensive, I think it is important to both quantify the amount of expense and look at it in the context of the total sharpening expense.

Each diamond wheel comes with one 150ml bottle of ACC. The water trough of the T8 requires 125ml of water and 5ml of ACC. This solution can be reused. A small amount may also be lost in spillage. I calculated a batch expense of approximately $.60 US per batch. This expense only occurs after the first thirty batches from the included 150ml bottle. It protects a $300 investment is each diamond wheel, as well as offering some protection to steel tools. Let's simplify things such as spillage and future price increases by assuming a $.75 cost per batch. With the initial cost of the Tormek and diamond wheels, I fail to see where the cost of ACC is significant. It does make good marketing propaganda for vendors of wheels used dry or with plain water.

The argument of having to change the water when beginning with an 80 grit plain water wheel doesn't hold water with me. ACC will not harm a plain water wheel. For critical work, it would seem good practice to change the water anyway just to keep it clean.

I have nothing against CBN wheels. I just prefer a more accurate comparison with diamond wheels.

Ken

JustADudeInSweden

Quote from: Pietje on March 19, 2022, 10:40:06 AM

And no japanese Waterstone!

What do you mean? I got the Jpn waterstone and it's good! I just had to change my way of sharpening (instaed of top, I sharpen from down now, less chance of the stone "gripping" the knife and getting a deep scratch.)
Getting Jiggy With It

Pietje

Hello!
Your method beware you from a lot of problems. Thats good.

What do I mean:
A lot of users in this forum have reported, that the stone is tumbling right-left.
I have a problem with truing the stone.
Another of my problems is, that the stone goes up and down. My other discs do not have this problems.

Both failures seems to me are grounded in an incorrect centerhole, because the other discs are workung well.

Tormek told my to put the stone always with writing up at 12 o´clock.

For this high price Tormek has to fit a bushing in the stone to center the stone correct.
But Tormek seems also having a problem with the quality control.
On YT is a video that the diameter of the shaft is not 12mm +0,000. It is 12,001 so the CBN discs Schleifjunkies is selling doesn´t fit to custumer machines.
In my sight this is a scandal.
For machinebuilder there is a ISO standart, called ISO Einheitswelle / Einheitsbohrung. (Sorry, didn´t find a translation.)
It helps engeneers to secure a proper fit of pin and hole. There are three kinds of fitting. Strong, soft and gentle.
With this bushing of the waterstone they bring a problem from the custumer back to their plant.

The shaft doesn´t have the centering holes at the ends so a custumer cann´t correct the shafts diameter.

So long
Pietje

highpower

Quote from: Pietje on March 20, 2022, 11:14:31 AM

On YT is a video that the diameter of the shaft is not 12mm +0,000. It is 12,001 so the CBN discs Schleifjunkies is selling doesn´t fit to custumer machines.

Pietje

Would you post a link to this video please? I am curious now and I am interested in seeing this video in it's entirety to see exactly what is being presented there. Thank you.

cbwx34

Quote from: highpower on March 20, 2022, 05:10:31 PM
Quote from: Pietje on March 20, 2022, 11:14:31 AM

Pietje

Would you post a link to this video please? I am curious now and I am interested in seeing this video in it's entirety to see exactly what is being presented there. Thank you.

I'm gonna guess this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5roTPWP-9w
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

highpower

Thank you cb. For the life of me I could not understand how a shaft that is one micron (0.001mm) over it's nominal size could cause such a problem. Now that I have read the actual numbers for myself (0.01mm) it makes more sense. The problem with standards is, there are too many of them. But it looked like Hanns has already had his manufacturer adjust their tolerance specs to his satisfaction so it wouldn't be an issue anymore for the most part.

I have a new SJ stone coming myself in a couple of days. My only concern would be any damage to the stone that might occur in transit. Anything beyond that is all on me and I am just fine with that.

jvh

QuoteOn YT is a video that the diameter of the shaft is not 12mm +0,000. It is 12,001 12,01 so the CBN discs Schleifjunkies is selling doesn´t fit to custumer machines.
In my sight this is a scandal.
For machinebuilder there is a ISO standart, called ISO Einheitswelle / Einheitsbohrung. (Sorry, didn´t find a translation.)

Hello,

Has anyone had a similar problem with Tormek's diamond wheels? Are the manufacturing tolerances of the shaft known?

I don't think it's fair to complain about the original shaft when a non-original wheel is fitted to it.

I found that the hole in the original diamond Tormek wheels should be 12.00mm +0.04/+0.06mm diameter (not verified), if these tolerances are correct, the problem is clearly with the non-original CBN wheels dimensions/tolerances, not on the Tormek side...

The +0.04 / +0.06 mm tolerance zone does not correspond to any standard tolerance class (ISO 286-2), which may be the answer to why a standardized fit is not used.

jvh