News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

BevelCalc - Using TormekCalc2 for Plane Blade Sharpening - Angle Entry Question

Started by RickKrung, May 21, 2021, 08:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickKrung

I have been sharpening some plane blades recently using the black marker method.  But, I need to be a bit more accurate and consistent with some, particularly for an idea I have for rough/heavy metal removal. 

I've been studying the TormekCalc2 tab "BevelCalc", which appears to be the repository for various calculations for this sort of tool.  I think I am looking for a value like "Grinding Angle △ [º]" as used on the TormekCalc tab.  I expect this will be a forehead slapper when I find out, but could someone point me to it, please?  Or enlighten me on how to generate it.  I have selected the "jig" as SE-77. 

Thanks,

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

Quote from: RickKrung on May 21, 2021, 08:52:19 PM
I have been sharpening some plane blades recently using the black marker method.  But, I need to be a bit more accurate and consistent with some, particularly for an idea I have for rough/heavy metal removal. 

I've been studying the TormekCalc2 tab "BevelCalc", which appears to be the repository for various calculations for this sort of tool.  I think I am looking for a value like "Grinding Angle △ [º]" as used on the TormekCalc tab.  I expect this will be a forehead slapper when I find out, but could someone point me to it, please?  Or enlighten me on how to generate it.  I have selected the "jig" as SE-77. 

Thanks,

Rick

I could be wrong, but I think you still use the TormekCalc tab.  BevelCalc is basically determining the angle based on the USB Height (or distance to the wheel).... sorta reverse of what is normally done... instead of, "I know the angle, where do I set the USB (TormekCalc) vs. I know where the USB is, what is the angle? (BevelCalc).

Could be wrong... (or not sure what you're asking).

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RickKrung

Quote from: cbwx34 on May 22, 2021, 12:07:11 AM
I could be wrong, but I think you still use the TormekCalc tab.  BevelCalc is basically determining the angle based on the USB Height (or distance to the wheel).... sorta reverse of what is normally done... instead of, "I know the angle, where do I set the USB (TormekCalc) vs. I know where the USB is, what is the angle? (BevelCalc).

Could be wrong... (or not sure what you're asking).

Oh, OK.  That escaped me, for whatever reason.  I looked at the TormekCalc tab but it appears to me to be totally knife oriented and I have not found how to enter anything but knife jigs.  So, I am still missing something. 

I would be willing to work backwards, iteratively, in BevelCalc if need be, but I still don't see how that works.  I've entered my distance from USB to the wheel surface and it doesn't come even close to the angle that I'm working with.  Again, I don't see where the parameter that I want ("Grinding Angle △ [º]") is located.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

Quote from: RickKrung on May 22, 2021, 12:21:03 AM
I looked at the TormekCalc tab but it appears to me to be totally knife oriented and I have not found how to enter anything but knife jigs.  So, I am still missing something. 

On the "Database" line (first row) change Knives to Tools... you can then select SE-77 on the Jig row.

RickKrung

Quote from: cbwx34 on May 22, 2021, 12:26:04 AM
On the "Database" line (first row) change Knives to Tools... you can then select SE-77 on the Jig row.

Doooh!  There it is...  [slap sound in the background]  Works just like one would think. 

And the distance to the wheel turned out to be within a couple 0.1mm of what I was using, for my angle (35º).

Thanks. 

cbwx34

Quote from: RickKrung on May 22, 2021, 12:21:03 AM

I would be willing to work backwards, iteratively, in BevelCalc if need be, but I still don't see how that works.  I've entered my distance from USB to the wheel surface and it doesn't come even close to the angle that I'm working with.  Again, I don't see where the parameter that I want ("Grinding Angle △ [º]") is located.

To answer this part (or muddy the waters), even though you'll use the TormekCalc tab... here's an example of how the two compare (TormekCalc on the left, BevelCalc on the right)...

RickKrung

Thanks, CB.  I guess that helps.  It took me a while to figure out the number of significant digits makes some difference and how to set it to display correctly (T USB).  It appears VUSB is a required input in BevelCalc for the Bevel Angle to calculate correctly.  I took that value from TormekCalc, but if I have to measure it as well as T USB, I don't want to bother.  That is one reason I am using T USB, so I don't have to measure VUSB. 

But, I do see how they relate a bit better. 

Rick

jvh

Hello CB,

thank you, I couldn't be here for a few days...

Quote from: RickKrung on May 23, 2021, 05:51:26 AM
Thanks, CB.  I guess that helps.  It took me a while to figure out the number of significant digits makes some difference and how to set it to display correctly (T USB).  It appears VUSB is a required input in BevelCalc for the Bevel Angle to calculate correctly.  I took that value from TormekCalc, but if I have to measure it as well as T USB, I don't want to bother.  That is one reason I am using T USB, so I don't have to measure VUSB. 

Hello Rick,

VUSB is not required input, you can enter T USB dimension (Top of USB to wheel surface T [mm]) in BevelCalc too. But if you enter T USB only, you get angles in all Bevel angle Δ [°] cells, because this dimension is the same for all USB types and it is not clear which one you are calculating.
You can also enter T USB and VUSB together (or HUSB / FUSB) dimension, then VUSB dimension has higher priority and it will override calculated angle for VUSB. Take a look at the attached pictures for a better idea.

jvh

RickKrung

JVH,

Thanks for the screen shots.  They are helpful.  I tried replicating your examples, but don't get the same results, at least with some of the jig parameters that my version of the spreadsheet had as defaults. 

I looking for what other parameters are different,  I see that some of the jig dimension parameters differ for the SE-77 in BevelCalc, but these are values I can't alter on this tab. I've tried changing values in the Jig tab, and while that does change the displayed values, I still don't get the same Bevel Angle as you.  The differences are very minor and immaterial, I think.  Probably some other parameter differing in decimals. 

What would be the reason for the different jig parameters?  I am curious how you measured those jig parameters as they require some careful alignments and could make a difference in results.

I believe I get your point and can use BevelCalc. 

Rick

jvh

Quote from: RickKrung on May 24, 2021, 03:25:41 PM
JVH,

Thanks for the screen shots.  They are helpful.  I tried replicating your examples, but don't get the same results, at least with some of the jig parameters that my version of the spreadsheet had as defaults. 

I looking for what other parameters are different,  I see that some of the jig dimension parameters differ for the SE-77 in BevelCalc, but these are values I can't alter on this tab. I've tried changing values in the Jig tab, and while that does change the displayed values, I still don't get the same Bevel Angle as you.  The differences are very minor and immaterial, I think.  Probably some other parameter differing in decimals. 

What would be the reason for the different jig parameters?  I am curious how you measured those jig parameters as they require some careful alignments and could make a difference in results.

I believe I get your point and can use BevelCalc. 

Rick

Hello Rick,

sorry, I used my version of TC2 while I experimented with another support with different diameter, so calculated results was for USB dia 15,3 mm.
I changed the pictures in the previous post, you should get the same results if you use the same machine constants.

jvh

RickKrung

Quote from: jvh on May 24, 2021, 06:50:30 PM
Hello Rick,

sorry, I used my version of TC2 while I experimented with another support with different diameter, so calculated results was for USB dia 15,3 mm.
I changed the pictures in the previous post, you should get the same results if you use the same machine constants.

jvh

That could mess with things.  I changed those parameters back, so yes, I'm getting the same results now.

Thanks,

Rick