News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

TormekCalc3 - Advanced grinding calculator

Started by jvh, January 23, 2020, 08:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

I'm always impressed by the updates.  I think you have more code in one "cell" than I do in an entire app!  Your command of Excel is impressive.

Thanks for the update!
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

jvh

Hello again,

I sharpened some stuff on tool rest SVD-110 and realized that it is possible to count and set desired angle in TormekCalc2. If is someone interested to test and verify it before releasing, you can find settings data for Jig sheet in the picture below. After entering these data new jigs appear on TormekCalc (Tools database) and BevelCalc sheets.

Measured values are taken from standard SVD-110 tool rest, I think they can vary a little bit on other batches. Calculation for modified or user made tool rests is possible, you just need to specify new jig and add correct values on Jig sheet.

- For calculation you have to select Jig "SVD-110 long side" or "SVD-110 short side", enter Projection length and desired Grinding angle (see picture Calculation.jpg).
- For setting you have to set calculated USB height and then set the tool rest angle via projection length (see picture Setting via projection length.jpg).
- Reverse calculation of the angle set on tool rest can be done on BevelCalc sheet.

Attention:
Angle is calculated on the tool rest plane. The grinded apex may be higher due material thickness, therefore angle correction may be necessary. Use EdgeCalc sheet to calculate correct Angle at edge heel (preferred) or change Tool diameter to shift the axis of the apex to the right position.

Setting can be tricky at first because it can be difficult to find ideal projection length for given grinding angle, but if you find it once you can use it over and over again. And have you ever seen other app for the tool rest angle calculation?  ;)

jvh

cbwx34

Quote from: jvh on October 20, 2020, 10:15:22 PM
Hello again,

I sharpened some stuff on tool rest SVD-110 and realized that it is possible to count and set desired angle in TormekCalc2. If is someone interested to test and verify it before releasing, you can find settings data for Jig sheet in the picture below. After entering these data new jigs appear on TormekCalc (Tools database) and BevelCalc sheets.

Measured values are taken from standard SVD-110 tool rest, I think they can vary a little bit on other batches. Calculation for modified or user made tool rests is possible, you just need to specify new jig and add correct values on Jig sheet.

- For calculation you have to select Jig "SVD-110 long side" or "SVD-110 short side", enter Projection length and desired Grinding angle (see picture Calculation.jpg).
- For setting you have to set calculated USB height and then set the tool rest angle via projection length (see picture Setting via projection length.jpg).
- Reverse calculation of the angle set on tool rest can be done on BevelCalc sheet.

Attention:
Angle is calculated on the tool rest plane. The grinded apex may be higher due material thickness, therefore angle correction may be necessary. Use EdgeCalc sheet to calculate correct Angle at edge heel (preferred) or change Tool diameter to shift the axis of the apex to the right position.

Setting can be tricky at first because it can be difficult to find ideal projection length for given grinding angle, but if you find it once you can use it over and over again. And have you ever seen other app for the tool rest angle calculation?  ;)

jvh

I didn't spend a lot of time on it, but just adding your numbers into TormekCalc, playing with the variables, and checking it with an AngleMaster, I didn't see any red flags (other than usual finicky AM).  :) 

I just measured directly to the SVD and didn't add any tools/knives into the mix at this point.  I'm not much of an SVD-110 user, so hopefully someone who is will give it a more in depth test for you.

Have a diagram?  (Always helps me to see what's actually going on...).  :)

Good stuff (as usual)! 

jvh

Quote from: cbwx34 on October 21, 2020, 10:26:04 PM

Good stuff (as usual)!

Hello,

at your service...  ;)

First example shows SVD-110 set at 25° on tool rest plane, which means that this angle will be reached at edge heel.
Drawing is CAD simulation with all needed dimensions, first screnshot is TormekCalc calculation, second one is from EdgeCalc sheet where you can see calculated Angle at the edge heel 25° which means that grinded angle at the apex will be 18,86° on showed example (symmetrical grind). You can find the grinded angle value manually by trial and error method (not too difficult) or via Excel function What-If Analysis/Goal Seek.

Second example shows SVD-110 set at 25° at the apex. Blade grind is symmetrical again and axis lays 5 mm above tool rest plane (10 mm = blade thickness).
Drawing is CAD simulation with all needed dimensions, screenshot is TormekCalc calculation where you have to change jig diameter M value ( +10 mm (2*5) because it is diameter and axis lays 5 mm above tool rest). The last screenshot is calculation from EdgeCalc sheet again.

jvh

Ken S

The same program could be applied to homemade small platforms; although, as they are generally one off, dimensions would not be standardized.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: jvh on October 24, 2020, 12:20:47 AM
Quote from: cbwx34 on October 21, 2020, 10:26:04 PM

Good stuff (as usual)!

Hello,

at your service...  ;)

jvh

Thanks! 🤯   :)

Quote from: Ken S on October 24, 2020, 02:29:12 PM
The same program could be applied to homemade small platforms; although, as they are generally one off, dimensions would not be standardized.

Ken

That's what nice about his spreadsheet... easily allows you to enter your own parameters.

Ken S

jvh

Hello everyone,

new public and non-public version of TormekCalc2 is available (v2.63).

Main News:

• BatchCalc [New non-public module]

Allows calculations for batch sharpening of multiple knives or tools without the need of repeated measuring because it calculates USB height difference between each steps and recalculates it to required Tormek Micro adjust nut turns. However all calculated heights are still available for USB setting or checking. For batch sharpening, of course, you need to have each knife or tool clamped in a separate jig. This version BatchCalc supports batch grinding up to 6 knives/tools in one go but it can be easily increased.

New drop-down list contains a merged database of knives and tools for quick selection of stored grinding data, and it is also possible to select any of the supported jigs, allowing you to perform batch grinding at once without restriction. All needed grinding values and/or corrections can be entered manually too as well as angle shift for selected wheels (eg. for honing).

Calculated sequence of grinding steps depends on used wheels, USB types and machines.

Setting by turning of Micro adjust nut is very quick (except when many turns are needed) and very precise. All Tormek Micro adjust nuts are graduated for each 0,25 mm = 1/6 of turn, which increase/decrease the USB height by 0,25 mm.

Displayed resolution of required Micro adjust nut turns is adjustable in three steps, default is 0,5 which means that calculated values are rounded to the halves of the micro adjust nut graduating (0,5/6 of turn), eg. "▲    1  1,5/6". Other possible steps are 0,25 (0,25/6 of turn) and 1 (1/6 of turn).

Using and capabilities can be found in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qtyTKqQb1g

Because this module is IMHO far from the needs of hobbyists and completely out of the class of any competing application (like the whole TC2  ;) ), I decided that it will be freely available only for contributors and donors, who can imagine how much time it takes and already took the development of this calculator. Therefore shared public version of TormekCalc2 contains screenshot and the link to the presentation video only! I will send a link and password to all contributors to download the full version, if you do not receive an e-mail in a short time, please PM me.

• Multilanguage support

Added German translation. (Thank you Stephan!)

Language can be select through the drop-downlist in Settings sheet.

Please note that help in comments stays in English only, because it is not possible to change it without using VBA. Compromises were made due to table headers that could not be translated. New row with translation was inserted here, please hide it if you use English as default language.

• SVD-110 Tool rest settings/calculations are supported now

Default setting for SVD-110 was added to ,,Jigs" sheet.
    - For calculation you have to select Jig "SVD-110 long side" or "SVD-110 short side", enter Projection length and desired Grinding angle.
    - For setting you have to set calculated USB height and then set the tool rest angle via projection length.
    - Reverse calculation of the set angle on tool rest can be done on BevelCalc sheet.
      More info you can find in this topic – see Reply #46 and Reply #48

Just a reminder - TC2 allows you to specify/add new (custom) jigs directly on the "Jigs" sheet and use them when needed for calculations via "Jig selection" drop-down list.

• Wheels table on the TormekCalc sheet

Added new wheels, now table contains 19 wheels + 4 custom

• EdgeCalc

Added the row ,,Hollow (real) grind depth [mm]" which shows the deviation from the flat grind caused by radius of the wheel.

• Settings

Added 5 more machines to Machines table (in hidden columns), now is possible to specify settings for 10 different machines.

• And much more...

Internal changes, corrections, bug fixes, comments etc.

If you don't plan to use any of the functions included in TormekCalc2 just hide unused row(s), column(s), sheet(s) etc. TormekCalc2 is fully customizable.  ;)

Ideas for improvement are welcome as well as feedback. Please feel free to contact me if you need any further information.

Hint: If you have data in Knives or Tools sheet just select all uses rows between column C to AD (included), copy them to clipboard (Ctrl+C) and paste them as VALUES to new version of TormekCalc2.

Enjoy!

jvh

Attention!

Due file size and forum restrictions (maximum individual size is 256 KB) is TormekCalc2 version 2.1+ available only on external web storage.

Download HERE (WebShare.cz, click Download File and then Download slowly).

Current version 2.63
(TormekCalc2_Public_v263.zip, packed size 1 487 684 bytes, TormekCalc_Public_v263.xlsx, unpacked size 1 555 756 bytes + sample pictures in the Knives and Tools folders.)

Merx27

Your spreadsheet is awesome and your Excel skills far exceed mine. I had been creating my own spreadsheet for US height and when I saw yours I could see where I had been going wrong in making the trigonometry too difficult for myself. I have now added a simple extra to calculate the micro-adjustments needed between sides when clamping 'V' section knives to avoid the asymmetry of bevel grinds with the standard jigs. This is not the ideal solution as I need to readjust each time I turn the jig and there is a danger of forgetting! I am still experimenting with the other solutions from this forum...

I look forward to seeing the non-public updated version

jvh

Quote from: Merx27 on April 19, 2021, 11:49:28 AM
Your spreadsheet is awesome and your Excel skills far exceed mine. I had been creating my own spreadsheet for US height and when I saw yours I could see where I had been going wrong in making the trigonometry too difficult for myself. I have now added a simple extra to calculate the micro-adjustments needed between sides when clamping 'V' section knives to avoid the asymmetry of bevel grinds with the standard jigs. This is not the ideal solution as I need to readjust each time I turn the jig and there is a danger of forgetting! I am still experimenting with the other solutions from this forum...

Hello Merx27,

thank you for your feedback.

I hope that I understand what you mean... can you add a photo/screenshot to your post?

Isn't it easier to make these corrections on the SVM jig by turning the adjustable stop? I did this until I started using eccentric bushings.
I made a mark on adjustable stop, found required No. of turns to correct angle on second side, wrote 0 on the first side of blade and eg. +3/4 on the second side of blade and then tried to be 100% concentrated to flip the jig to the correct side while grinding.  :)

jvh

John S

The level of work on this calculator is way above my ability. If someone takes the time to watch your video in the link there is so much your TormekCalc does.  I have multiple machines and have different grit wheels on them. Talk about making this an easy and accurate endeavor. Thank you.

Yes, I am freeloader-shaming here. The level of work deserves some donations to defray his costs and maybe put a little cash in his pocket.  There are two other people that I know sell a tormek calculator for good money.  This is original work, not copies of anybody's efforts. I am donating to him.  Please help by doing the same.  I will use paypal.

John

jvh

Quote from: John S on April 20, 2021, 01:37:23 AM
The level of work on this calculator is way above my ability. If someone takes the time to watch your video in the link there is so much your TormekCalc does.  I have multiple machines and have different grit wheels on them. Talk about making this an easy and accurate endeavor. Thank you.

Yes, I am freeloader-shaming here. The level of work deserves some donations to defray his costs and maybe put a little cash in his pocket.  There are two other people that I know sell a tormek calculator for good money.  This is original work, not copies of anybody's efforts. I am donating to him.  Please help by doing the same.  I will use paypal.

John

Hello John,

thank you for your post, I really appreciate it.

I know that TC2 can look very complicated at first glance, but it should be seen as a suite of modules that are interconnected and they give much more advantages if you use them together.

That's why I created a "tutorial video" for the new BatchCalc module where is shown a little bit of TC2 capabilities. Well, it's my first video, so it looks like that... but I still believe it's useful for users to introduce advanced features. I hope to find time to make other ones, because it's really pain to do it with video skill at level 0. :) But the day I don't learn anything new is a lost day...

jvh

Merx27

Quote from: jvh on April 19, 2021, 09:08:50 PM
Quote from: Merx27 on April 19, 2021, 11:49:28 AM

Hello Merx27,

thank you for your feedback.

I hope that I understand what you mean... can you add a photo/screenshot to your post?

Isn't it easier to make these corrections on the SVM jig by turning the adjustable stop? I did this until I started using eccentric bushings.
I made a mark on adjustable stop, found required No. of turns to correct angle on second side, wrote 0 on the first side of blade and eg. +3/4 on the second side of blade and then tried to be 100% concentrated to flip the jig to the correct side while grinding.  :)

jvh

Hi JVH,
This is just the shot of my front page of the spreadsheet inspired by yours. To calculate the different USB height needed for the inverted jig: I use an angle finder to get 'Total angle between primary bevels' and then take that angle off the 'delta k' for the and then recalculate to give me desired bevel angle with new USB height. I then divide the difference in USB heights by 0.3 to give me the number of numerals to raise.

The eccentric cam can be similarly calculated but it is still prone to human error so I am currently focusing on a jig that holds Vee section blades in alignment as this removes the need to remember to do anything between sides but not yet settled on a solution. I do not see how the shimming methods can work as they still maintain the error in angle orientation and shifting the blade parallel to the jig makes no difference at all (IMHO)

Tonight, I experimented trying to get an even bevel width around the curve of a blade and when  I moved the jig towards or away from the tip of the blade, as suggested in the Tormek manual (P53 of v. 10.5) it made NO difference to the bevel width! So, I then used a laser guide-line across the stone while using the SVM45 and successfully kept an even bevel around the curve of the blade by keeping it on the laser line. This removed the black magic of how much to lift and rotate the blade.

micha

Quote from: Merx27 on April 22, 2021, 09:19:13 PM

I then divide the difference in USB heights by 0.3 to give me the number of numerals to raise.
Hi Merx27,
in my understanding 1 numeral equals 0.25mm, as there are six numbers on the nut and thread pitch is 1.5mm.
(but maybe I missed an important thought)
Mike

Merx27

Quote from: micha on April 23, 2021, 11:25:06 AM
Quote from: Merx27 on April 22, 2021, 09:19:13 PM

I then divide the difference in USB heights by 0.3 to give me the number of numerals to raise.
Hi Merx27,
in my understanding 1 numeral equals 0.25mm, as there are six numbers on the nut and thread pitch is 1.5mm.
(but maybe I missed an important thought)
Mike

Doh! You are absolutely right and underlines the need for me to pursue methods that minimise human error. Thank you Mike.