News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

TormekCalc3 - Advanced grinding calculator

Started by jvh, January 23, 2020, 08:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boxer

Hello, I started using the program. Many thanks to its author. A question arose. What are the numbers (Variable length HF - Frontal vertical base [mm]
Constant VF - Frontal vertical base [mm])
must be installed when using Tormek MB-102 as an FVB?

tgbto

Hello !

Unlike the original FVB, the MB-102 does not have a solid block that will rest against the casing. So "constants" now vary.

If you want to use the calculator, I'd advise for measuring directly the Top-of-USB-to-wheel distance. It's a more direct measurement that removes intermediate measurements (and measurement errors) anyway.

I also find it easier to measure, as you don't have to aim for a particular place on the casing. Just use the left side of both your calipers' jaws.

Boxer

Thanks for the reply.The MB-102 can also have a fixed position that can be used as a base. For example, by pressing the bottom of the USB into the case. As for the direct measurement from the USB to the wheel, I do not want to use this solution, since there are felt and leather circles and the measurement will be incorrect, and the measuring device spoils over the abrasive wheel. I was hoping that someone had already taken these measurements and was using them in a calculator.

cbwx34

Quote from: Boxer on September 02, 2024, 04:29:22 PMHello, I started using the program. Many thanks to its author. A question arose. What are the numbers (Variable length HF - Frontal vertical base [mm]
Constant VF - Frontal vertical base [mm])
must be installed when using Tormek MB-102 as an FVB?

Quote from: Boxer on September 02, 2024, 05:20:33 PMThanks for the reply.The MB-102 can also have a fixed position that can be used as a base. For example, by pressing the bottom of the USB into the case.

I have a Calcapp calculator available using the MB-102...

https://connect.calcapp.net/?app=avoit9

... using the same idea.  I used a HD (HF) of 105mm for the T-4 133mm for the T-8 and VD (VF) of 38mm for the T-4 and 50mm for the T-8.  I measure to the top of the MB-102 to set the USB height.  (If you look in the Calcapp app there's some instructions a few 'pages' in on how I use it.)

Let me know if the measurements work for you in TormekCalc.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Boxer

Thank you for your support. For further verification, I still need FVB (body thickness) and F (frontal vertical base offset)

tgbto

Quote from: Boxer on September 02, 2024, 05:20:33 PMThanks for the reply.The MB-102 can also have a fixed position that can be used as a base. For example, by pressing the bottom of the USB into the case. As for the direct measurement from the USB to the wheel, I do not want to use this solution, since there are felt and leather circles and the measurement will be incorrect, and the measuring device spoils over the abrasive wheel. I was hoping that someone had already taken these measurements and was using them in a calculator.

Just to make sure : You still need to measure the diameter of the felt and leather wheels, with the same issues you refer to, right ?

Boxer

Quote from: tgbto on September 03, 2024, 11:41:52 AMJust to make sure : You still need to measure the diameter of the felt and leather wheels, with the same issues you refer to, right ?
Yes, it needs to be done.