News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek Bloopers anyone???

Started by Y-Not, May 09, 2018, 04:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizz

I'm not real sure but the T-8 wheel is 2 " wide (50mm), the T-4 is 1 5/8" (40mm) wide, so I don't know if the shaft is long enough to hold a 2" (50mm) wheel.

Ken S

Quote from: Wyo6050 on May 26, 2018, 03:28:09 AM
Ken,

The T4 works, though I think I'd get along better with the SB wheels that are offered for the T8 for my turning tools.the extra lip on the water trough isuseful too, as when I'm going to town on my hand plane blade I tend to fling water like an orca in a seaword tank.

I've adapted my own magnet system, which is pretty ingenious because it involves magnets from hard drives and duck tape.

Iir would be cool if a worn down SB wheel could fit into he T4.  Has that been done?

Wyn6050,

I don't think the problem is the T4. You may be overfilling the water trough. I fill the trough until the water just starts running over the surface of the grinding wheel. Letyour machine run. The grinding wheel will absorb water until it is saturated. After the initial filling, add water slowly just ubtil the water starts to flow again. Keep the motor running. I do not fill to the line; I think that is too much water.

Most of the water I used to spill was spilled during removing the trough at the end. An inexpensive turkey baster from the grocery store solves this problem.

Personally, I feel that not having an SB-200 for the T4 is no loss. I have found several choices which I prefer. The first wheels I used were the Norton 3X wheels in either 46 or 80 grit. Either grit will do. I use them wet. They work very well for reshaping turning tools. They only cost around fifty dollars US. They require some easy, inexpensive adaptation, however, they get the job done quickly and inexpensively.

My nxt step up was a D-Way 180 grit CBN wheel. These work dry or wet. (Wet use requires either Honerite Gold or Tormek ACC.) CBN wheels work very eell.

I think the two best wheels for the T4 are Tormek's DWF-200 and DWC-200. I find the Diamond Wheel Coarse at 360 grit cits faster than either the GG or SB at 220 grit. I find the T4 with SG-200, DWC-200 and DWF-200 a very versatile combo. Add the SJ-200 if you like.

I bought the SB-250 years ago. Most of my sharpening is with carbon steel; I rarely use the SB. Today, I would buy a diamond wheel instead.

I have certainly made my share of bloopers, however, I admit they were caused by my judgement lapses in technique.

I would not have made the marketing decision to include bandaids (plasters). I'm sure the original intent was to make the point in a light hearted way that Tormek sharp is very sharp. Tormek has put a lot of engineering into making the Tormek safe. Including plasters with all new units, to my, telegraps the message to expect being injured, a poor sales message.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Grizz on May 26, 2018, 05:55:10 AM
I'm not real sure but the T-8 wheel is 2 " wide (50mm), the T-4 is 1 5/8" (40mm) wide, so I don't know if the shaft is long enough to hold a 2" (50mm) wheel.

I thought the same... but proved myself wrong:-\
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Bravo, CB! Excellent sleuthing. I believe this will be an increasingly less pertinent issue. The adjustable water trough on the T8 will provide water to smaller diameter wheels. And, once we become accostumed to diamond stones, I believe the blackstone will essentially collect dust. It will still work as well as ever, however, if you try the DWC-200 on your T4, I doubt you will ever long for an SB-200 again.

For real grinding horse power in a compact package, try a D-Way 80 grit eight inch CBN wheel on your T4!

When I was using my Norton 3X wheels on my T4, 12mm fender washers made great spacers. Use them between the Tormek and the wheel (inside) to prevent and slipping.

Quiet time spent analyzing the different Tormek models is well rewarded.

Keep poking around!

Ken

Wyo6050

Quote from: cbwx34 on May 26, 2018, 01:55:27 PM
Quote from: Grizz on May 26, 2018, 05:55:10 AM

I thought the same... but proved myself wrong:-\

Outstanding!  Thanks for the link and answer!

Wyo6050

Quote from: Ken S on May 26, 2018, 10:42:49 AM
Wyn6050,

I don't think the problem is the T4. You may be overfilling the water trough. I fill the trough until the water just starts running over the surface of the grinding wheel. Letyour machine run. The grinding wheel will absorb water until it is saturated. After the initial filling, add water slowly just ubtil the water starts to flow again. Keep the motor running. I do not fill to the line; I think that is too much water.

Most of the water I used to spill was spilled during removing the trough at the end. An inexpensive turkey baster from the grocery store solves this problem.

Personally, I feel that not having an SB-200 for the T4 is no loss. I have found several choices which I prefer. The first wheels I used were the Norton 3X wheels in either 46 or 80 grit. Either grit will do. I use them wet. They work very well for reshaping turning tools. They only cost around fifty dollars US. They require some easy, inexpensive adaptation, however, they get the job done quickly and inexpensively.

My nxt step up was a D-Way 180 grit CBN wheel. These work dry or wet. (Wet use requires either Honerite Gold or Tormek ACC.) CBN wheels work very eell.

I think the two best wheels for the T4 are Tormek's DWF-200 and DWC-200. I find the Diamond Wheel Coarse at 360 grit cits faster than either the GG or SB at 220 grit. I find the T4 with SG-200, DWC-200 and DWF-200 a very versatile combo. Add the SJ-200 if you like.

I bought the SB-250 years ago. Most of my sharpening is with carbon steel; I rarely use the SB. Today, I would buy a diamond wheel instead.

I have certainly made my share of bloopers, however, I admit they were caused by my judgement lapses in technique.

I would not have made the marketing decision to include bandaids (plasters). I'm sure the original intent was to make the point in a light hearted way that Tormek sharp is very sharp. Tormek has put a lot of engineering into making the Tormek safe. Including plasters with all new units, to my, telegraps the message to expect being injured, a poor sales message.

Ken

I was flinging the hand plane blade pretty aggressively (was also the cause for catching my knuckles on the wheel edge) and it would spit water out to the side.  I'll try your suggestion with less water because I do fill it up as high as possible as a bandaid to the splashing till I developed something. 

I dont want to highjack the thread for bloopers-  I'll be looking for any threads on the items you shared.  If I can get a CBN or diamond, I'd be thrilled.

Thanks!

RickKrung

I did not look through the thread for "injuries", but this one "falls" in that category.

A few days ago, I was working on refinements to a Frontal Vertical Base with CB.  I also needed to sharpen a Kershaw folding knife that I had received from him.  I mixed the two with less than desirable results. 

I was setting up to sharpen the knife.  I had the knife, in a jig, ready to be sharpened.  CB sends a request for a photo of my FVB in an "in close" position.  I went to take a photo of the FVB with the knife, in the jig, on the T8.  The T8 needed to be moved to get a better shot.  I tried moving it and the swivel base on the stool it is used on. 

The knife fell over, off the T8 and right into the back of my left arm, just above the wrist - deep stabbing wound.  Blood started spurting everywhere (or so it seemed at the time).  I'd never seen blood spurt from my own body.  I'd been a ski patroller and a surgical tech in a three doctor veterinary hospital, so I was used to blood and even some spurting.  Given my first aid training, etc., I grabbed my arm with my right hand and pressed and then spun around to my bench and reached for a paper towel and pressed it against the wound to try to stop the bleeding.  I was in my garage.

My granddaughter was napping and my daughter was resting with her.  I knew it would take a long time to get the granddaughter awake enough for my daughter to drive me.  I was actually a bit scared, so I just went and got in my car and drove myself to the local clinic (a whopping two blocks) (closest urgent care or hospital is an hour away).  They took me right in and after a short exam, stitched me right up (only three). 

Once home again, I surveyed the carnage. 

Blood trail.  Denser area at the top of the frame is where it spurted a time or a few as I stared dumbfoundedly.  Trail down and to the left is the drip pattern as I turned around to get the towel. 

Knife on the floor where it landed. You can see it in the first photo too.  Black sharpie markings are where I needed to work on some nicks (Ha Ha).

Close up of the knife.  I think the blood show the depth of entry or at least is from the blood starting to spurt out. 

Stitches. 

Moral of the story is don't get distracted when working with sharp objects.  And I am very glad it happened on a weekday during business hours. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

Poor baby....  :(

Oh, hope you're better too.

;D

(p.s.  What's up with that "antique" stop collar....)  ::)  ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RickKrung

Quote from: cbwx34 on July 20, 2018, 02:35:22 PM
Poor baby....  :(

Oh, hope you're better too.

;D

(p.s.  What's up with that "antique" stop collar....)  ::)  ;)

Ha, I knew I wouldn't get any sympathy out of you  :)  Yeah, all better, at least once the stitches come out next week.

As I am constantly learning with this sharpening system, I am still learning to use the "classic" collar.  As a sage fellow said, "the Pin Pivot Collar is not for every knife".  Although, due to the curvature of the blade, it certainly could be use with the Kershaw.

Rick

Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Cyrano

No bloodshed yet for me, but some embarrassingly dumb mistakes:

• Grinding the face of the SMV-45 jig, instead of the blade
  • Grinding the thumb stud on a folding knife

Antz

I'm resurrecting this thread because I found it all pretty funny and I've done almost all of those things except stab myself (sorry Rick). Here's a blooper for you guys. So I'm sharpening a small pairing knife for my friend as he waits in the shop. As he's waiting he's chasing around a mosquito that's driving him crazy. I just finish the knife and do one final light pass to get as much burr of as possible, as I'm lifting the knife of the stone he comes chasing the mosquito in my direction. He's so focused on the mosquito he dosnt realize what he's doing and shoots me right in the face with Raid bug spray. I fumble the knife still in the jig which falls tip first onto the top of the grinding wheel simultaneously gouging the wheel and chipping off the tip of his knife.So now I'm pissed, I got bug spray in my face and a nice big gouge on my grinding wheel.

I had to true off about 2mm of stone and there's still about another 1mm of gouge left. Needless to say I didn't fix the tip of his knife  ;D .

Antz

Ps: I actually would have fixed the tip if he asked me but he felt pretty bad and said not to worry about it. He's an AC tech and just used the knife to cut insulation for pipes.
"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭15:57‬ ‭

RichColvin

---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.