News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Reviving a dried out leather honing wheel

Started by canuck, November 23, 2017, 06:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

Quote from: canuck on December 06, 2017, 11:47:55 PM
Sorry I didn't report back. Haven't had much time to use the Tormek the last couple days, but I did add some more sewing machine oil one morning and then used the wheel with more honing compound in the evening. It did seem much better, and didn't kick up quite as much dust. So hopefully I have the right balance now. I can imagine a heavy burr would make it seem worse, so I'll try in to keep an eye on that as well.

I was reading that one application of honing compound should be good for 4 or 5 tools. Does that mean 4 or 5 tools in one sharpening session? What if you do one tool and then let the machine sit for a few days or a few weeks? Is there a certain time limit where a fresh application of honing compound would be required?

Thanks again for all the advice.

Thanks for the update.

I don't really have an answer to your question... I would guess it's 4-5 tools regardless of time.  I guess in part it depends on the results you want.  I don't really "polish" with the wheel, I just use it to deburr/cleanup an edge... so the way I "charge" it (adding compound and using a toothbrush to 'scrub' it in)... it lasts me for quite a while.  If polishing though, I think it would have to be charged more often, and if it set for a while, probably a bit added since it can dry out.

(That probably didn't help much).   :o
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

SharpenADullWitt

Holiday time, makes less time for forums or other non work activities.  I was thinking what about mineral oil, as it is inert and what is used on cutting boards, for the leather wheel?  (as well as on commercial cutting equipment, etc)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

I have used mineral oil, 3in1 oil, the small tube which comes with the T8. All work. I may use Vaseline with the next honing wheel. I had a class with machinery rebuilder, Robert Vaughn, many years ago. Bob made the comment that he felt the presence of lubrication was more important than the kind of lubrication. The same concept seems to apply to the leather honing wheel. If you start with a small amount, you can easily add more.

Excellent topic.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on December 10, 2017, 03:44:05 AM
I have used mineral oil, 3in1 oil, the small tube which comes with the T8. All work. I may use Vaseline with the next honing wheel. I had a class with machinery rebuilder, Robert Vaughn, many years ago. Bob made the comment that he felt the presence of lubrication was more important than the kind of lubrication. The same concept seems to apply to the leather honing wheel. If you start with a small amount, you can easily add more.

Excellent topic.

Ken

I would have to disagree in part... I have found thicker oils, like the pharmacy mineral oil I mentioned earlier, can interfere with sharpening/stropping.

I wouldn't even consider vaseline as an option.   :-\
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)