News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Grindstone won't come off

Started by Rem, October 15, 2016, 10:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rem

Howdy.  After numerous times removing the 250 grindstone, just now it refuses to budge.  I even took some plier to the lock nut but it is seized big time. 

Anyone run into this before?   Could use some serious help.  Thanks.  R :'(

SharpenADullWitt

Which system do you have? 
Start at 2.09 and go from there if not the ez lock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX96a9WoAJE
4.37 on for the ez lock.

Edit: if non stainless steel shaft, your probably starting to rust to the stone.  That can take more time.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Rem

SharpenADullWitt

If you tried holding both wheels, and spinning them in opposite directions and that doesn't work, does it appear that the nut is on straight, and not cross threaded?
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Rem

Nut is fine.  I just changed the wheel earlier this morning.  I have a 4000 grit waterstone and I have changed wheels numerous times with no issues.  Then, just now, it's seized.  I mean it won't budge.    Doesn't look good.  R

Rem

I just put a pipe wrench on the "EZ LOCK" nut and it won't budge.   This is really disappointing.   I guess it goes the 2,000 miles back to the dealer.   R

Jan

Rem, give it a little bit time, the morning is wiser than evening. Lubricate it well. Try to tap it with a wooden mallet, it may loosen the block.

I am afraid it is not reasonable to transport Tormek with the stone on the shaft. The risk that the stone bends the shaft is high.  ???

Jan

Rem

Thanks, Jan.  I'll encourage it with a dead blow mallet.  Then, worse comes to worse, I guess I'll have to get nasty with the pipe wrench.   I'll keep you posted.   Thanks again.  R

Ken S

Rem,

Look at the nut on the end of the grindstone. You will see two arrows. Hold the leather honing wheel and push the grinding wheel smartly in the direction of the loosen arrow. What makes the EZYlock work is the left hand thread. That runs counter to our right hand thread dominated culture. I suspect that the harder you try to loosen the nut, the tighter you make it.

I have not known the EZYlock to fail when loosened in the right direction. I have known several of us to unsuccessfully resort to Channelocks. With great embarrassment, I admit to being part of the Brotherhood of the Channelocks. (Welcome to the club. You are now an official Tormeker.  :) )

I suggest you make peace with the universe. When you have reached that state, and not before, take another look at your Tormek.

Keep us posted...either way.

Ken

Rem

Ken, I assure you that I am attempting to release the wheel in the correct direction.  It is clearly marked "lock" and "unlock".  It is threaded in the reverse of customary nuts and bolts.  To loosen, it is turned clockwise.  As I mentioned, I have two grindstones and I have done this numerous times since I received the second stone about 2 weeks ago.   This thing is seized.  It will not budge.   

Something is fubar. 

I am at peace with all.  I just finished a workout.  But something is seriously wrong.   The only thing I did different is that I "trued" the SG-250 a bit earlier.  But I don't see how that could have caused this.   

Anyway, while I am not a machinist or a mechanic or a mathematician, I am not entirely dim  ;).  There is something seriously wrong here.   I have emailed Tormek and the dealer from whom I bought it.  I hope they might have some solutions.   Thanks for your response.   R

Ken S

No insult intended, Rem. Wise move, contacting Tormek and your dealer. Hopefully your dealer has a team at the ready. Or, since your part of the world is moving, maybe you'll bump into Stig. :D

Whatever the outcome, please post.

Good luck.......

Ken

Rem

Messing with you (MWY), Ken.  No insult perceived.   :) 

I was perhaps a charter member of the Channelocks Brotherhood.  I recall my first experience with propane tanks was less that rewarding.  Been there, done that. 

NO, this is something far more sinister.  I can't imagine what has happened but that boy ain't coming off without some substantial horsepower.  Maybe I can figure some way to attach my Kubota loader and .....  but I digress. 

Right now, I'm thinking that the shaft will have to come out and hopefully slide the wheel off the other end.  Then a new shaft will hopefully render me functional.  I can send the current shaft with seized EZYLock (a misnomer at the moment) to whomever for evaluation.   

A most perplexing situation.  I shall keep you all posted with posts.  In the meantime, I shall proceed with my affairs sans Tormek.  And we were just beginning to be good friends.    R   ???

Ken S

Rem,

Maybe you and LuptoM could hook up. He has a Tormek with no loader and you have a Kubota loader.

I don't mean to make light of your dilemma. I hope both you and LuptoM get up to speed soon. In the meantime, aren't the UK and Yukon neighbors?  ::)

Ken

Rem

Quote from: Ken S on October 16, 2016, 02:49:48 AM
Rem,

Maybe you and LuptoM could hook up. He has a Tormek with no loader and you have a Kubota loader.

I think I'll just get loaded ..........

I don't mean to make light of your dilemma.

No worries.   A conundrum to be sure.  I shall pursue a solution with uncommon enthusiasm.

I hope both you and LuptoM get up to speed soon. In the meantime, aren't the UK and Yukon neighbors?  ::)

Well, we do share the Queen ..... in a manner of speaking. 

Ken

RR

wootz

Something similar happened once to me when I forgot to put the washer on the shaft before the stone, and the stone stuck against the housing.
Had to release on the other side to pull the shaft out with the stone on it.