News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Grindstone won't come off

Started by Rem, October 15, 2016, 10:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rem

Thanks for the suggestion, wootz.   Washer is clearly visible.  In fact, I never even take it off when I change the grindstones.  Everything turns as normal when the machine is on.  The EZyLock nut just won't come off. 

I think the gods of sharp have turned against me.  Sort of a Tormek torment.    R

Ken S

Wootz,

Another excellent thought. We must add it to our repetoire of repair solutions.On your next trip to the Yukon, you must team up with Rem and LuptoM. You three should be able to get get to the bottom of this problem! :)

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Although, now you will pull off the other wheels, pull the shaft, and Murphy will tell the nut to come loose in the process (watch the stone). ::)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Rem

Thanks for that, SADW.   This is what I want to do.   Is this a procedure that I can't screw up?   I looked at the shaft replacement kit on the Internet, and looks pretty simple.   If this is a straight forward process, I'd like to try it.   Is there a diagram of this somewhere?   I am somewhat mechanically challenged.    Thanks again.   R

Ken S

My suggestion for anyone removing a Tormek shaft shaft is to make a careful diagram of how it goes together. Keep this diagram, or, better still, draw it on a blank page of your handbook for reference. No, Tormek does not provide a good drawing. They should.

Ken

wootz

Quote from: Rem on October 16, 2016, 04:51:45 PM
Thanks for that, SADW.   This is what I want to do.   Is this a procedure that I can't screw up?   I looked at the shaft replacement kit on the Internet, and looks pretty simple.   If this is a straight forward process, I'd like to try it.   Is there a diagram of this somewhere?   I am somewhat mechanically challenged.    Thanks again.   R

Rem, the diagram is on the page 8 of the Safety Instruction, under 'Spare parts list – Tormek T-8'
Can be downloaded from the http://www.tormek.com/en/machines/t8/index.php - click on 'Handbook', then 'Download the handbook', enter your registered email, and download 'Safety Instruction and spare part list'.

Rem

And so it is.   Awesome, dude .... as the young folks say.   I never thought to look in the safety manual ....  and now have noticed ".. and spare parts list" as part of the title.   DUH !!!

You're the man.   Wish me luck.   Here I go.    Fins to the bone.    RR

Rem

OK, right off the bat, the "drive wheel with friction ring - #73" doesn't want to come off.   IS this just a pull off, or is it threaded on???  I removed the "nut - #51".  The shaft is threaded.   I don't want to force it.   I'm thinking it should just pull straight off but don't want to get too rowdy.   Thanks.   R

Rem

It's a "pull off" ...  got it.   Proceeding with caution.   R

Rem

I have the wheel and shaft out of the machine.  The EZyLock nut is still seized to the shaft.   It is tighter than my grip on my wallet.    I have a friend who is all things mechanical so I think I'll go see him and we'll get the wheel off of the shaft one way or the other.   I'll order a new shaft replacement kit just to be on the safe side.   I'd rather not have to send the wheel and shaft to whomever for inspection, then wait and wait for a verdict.   Maybe I somehow caused this, who knows ?????  The grindstone (wheel) seems ok unless I destroy it in the process.    More to come ......  R

Rem

Well, I tried to posts a couple pics, but no matter how small I make them, it won't let me.   Hard cheese.   I'll get the nut off and then we'll see.    Thanks for all.   Goodbye forever or until I get this nut off the shaft, whichever comes first.   R    :-\

Rem

Well, I got 'er, boys.  It's amazing what a Vice-Grip and a pipe wrench will do for you.   I took the shaft and attached grindstone out to the garage.   Used a pipe wrench on the shaft and a Vice-Grip on the nut, and VOILA !!!  it came loose pretty easy.   

I can see absolutely no reason why it seized.  I can thread the lock nut on as easy as pie.   Put it on, take it off.   No problem at all.    Anyway, I don't trust it.   I have ordered a new shaft kit and it should be here in about 10 days.  I'm not going to put this set up back into the machine.   

If you want to take up a collection for me, I also accept beer and food.   That's all for now.    Thanks for all your input.  I sure hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.    R :P

Ken S

Rem,

Sargeant Preston would be proud of you! Well done.

Ken

Rem

Sincere recognition from Willie (the Sgt.) would be high praise, indeed, and highly unlikely.   However, I think Rex might have an admiring bark for me.    Perhaps.  Or maybe not.   Anyway, things are rolling along.   I'll be back in business soon.   R  :)

Jan

Congrats Rem, I really rejoice with you!  :)

Regards to Klondike
Jan