News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

interesting new jig announcement

Started by Ken S, April 20, 2016, 05:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I regularly check the tormek.com website for new events. I just found one, the SE-77 Square Edge jig.

I have no information other than what is posted on the website. For years I have been hoping Tormek would offer a square edge jig capable of grinding a camber on plane blades. It looks like the new jig not only does this, but can handle other tricks as well.

Go to tormek.com and look at the top left. ( you can reach it from the upper right side of the main forum page.

Ken

PS For those of you who like to stay current with new Tormek events, a regular check of the main website is useful. If you happen to notice something before I do, please post

RobinW

I noticed the SE77 earlier today – and I must say that it would appear to have the ability to overcome a lot of the trials and tribulations that many subscribers, including myself, have posted with regard to the SE-76.

I have just checked the importer's website, and there it is at £47.95 and the SE-76 for £52.96! They do not state whether it is actually available.

However, on checking a large tool distributer, which I understand is part of the importer's business group, they too list it, but out of stock. The SE-76 is also out of stock and no longer available.

How's this for a suggestion?

A certain tool supplier in the UK, now and then makes a new tool available to members of a certain forum, and each of those who register interest get a maximum of a week to try out said tool, pass it on, and report their findings on the forum. Maybe Tormek should make an offer like that with a SE-77.

Ken S

Robin,

I think you have a good idea about passing around a new tool among the forum for a one week trial. I suspect it would generate enough sales to more than pay for the program.

I think the forum has made a major breakthrough with this new square edge jig. In the past, we have not been notified about new offerings from Tormek. We found out from premature magazine ads or emails from dealers, second hand. That irked me. Today I received the press release email which was sent out today. Monday I will receive the official dealer notice simultaneously with the dealers. We will be getting good information in a timely manner. I will post anything I learn on the forum.

A couple early thoughts on the new square edge jig:
1) The angle adjustment "tweaking" with the two small knobs seems a real step forward for getting chisels right on square. I think that will save a lot of frustration.

2) The new jig is made of zink. If it is anything like the new gouge jig, the machining should be more precise. I consider the new gouge jig a major improvement. I hope the new square edge jig is, also.If it can do a nice, controlled camber for plane blades, that's a real plus, something I have hoped for since I first began using the Tormek.

I will keep you posted.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Will be watching Jeff's old company site as well, since I know upgrade parts can be bought there.  (not sure about Afffinity's site and how easy to know what parts are)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

In the case of the new gouge jig, the SVD-186, almost the entire jig consists of new parts. For anyone wishing to upgrade, the logical choice is to sell the SVD-185 and go with a new jig. At first glance, having not seen it yet, the SE-77 looks the same way.

I predict that most of the jigs will be redesigned in the next very few years. The new zink casting/machining technology really makes a difference. The old jigs still work as well as when they were new; the new jigs just work better.

Ken

Rob

Just to update folks on the new SE76.  I've been using it in anger for a few weeks now, probably 2 months in fact and it's brilliant.  It's not missed a beat yet with my narrower/smaller gouges.  My Tormek is now dedicated to gouges and it handles them all (elliptical grinds only).  The water cooled gives the best edge.

I still grind wide surface area tools on other media due to the efficiency but for little steel removal and the necessity for a fine edge it's superb.  The new jig enables the inclusion of my full set of bowl and spindle gouges (not the roughing gouge which has a square grind needing a different jig)
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Rob,

I am pleased you posted on the new gouge jig. (known on this side of the pond as the SVD-186. The new square edge jig is the SE-77 :) )

I thought it would work well with your smaller gouges. I'm glad it is up to standards for our turning department!

I think it is worthy of a serious look by turners using the older SVD-185; it really is a major improvement.

Ken

Rob

Whoops...I'm getting my product names confused (senior moment).  Thanks for the errata Ken :-)

Now where was that brain exercise machine  :o
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Sorry, Rob.  I didn't realize my senioritis was contagious. Best remedy is plenty of rest, vitamin C, and a couple pints. :'(

Ken

Jan

Rob, my brain exercise machine is my endeavour to understand the posts of this forum.  :)

English language of your posts I found more rich and colourful than the average. My last challenging situation was your sentence: "I've been using it in anger for a few weeks now, probably 2 months in fact and it's brilliant."

We have discussed it in my English lesson, and the tutor explained the meaning to us. So now it is fine with me. But the fact that English has the largest vocabulary of any language in the world sometimes threatens me also.  :(

Jan

Ken S

Jan,

I don't think English has so many native words; we just plagerize by failing to footnote our sources. A perfect example is "robot" which we borrowed from your countryman.

Some of our most "colorful" words which we euphamisticly call "Anglo-Saxon" words were originally Dutch. We are shameless plagerists.

Back in the days of VHS, there was an excellent series with journalist, Robert MacNeil called The Story of English. It has been reissued on DVD. I believe that you, like me, would find it fascinating.

When I was a student, I met Dr. Davidson Nicol. He was the United Nations Ambassador from Sierra Leone. His command if the English was head and shoulders above any English speaker I have ever met. This may have been influenced by his having earned MD and PhD degrees from Cambridge. :)

Ken

Jan

Yes Ken, you are correct, the pool of native words is limited. But all the words borrowed from other languages are for a student of English new words, tons of new words.  ;)

Jan

jeffs55

Jan, there is a difference between English and American.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

The "Golden Age" of the English language is generally considered the time of Shakespeare and the King James Version of the Bible. I believe we are a bit late in arriving to the party..... :(

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Jan,
The English language can be confusing for those native speakers as well. (including me)
I also wondered why he was using it in anger?
But you can say the same saying in English, and depending on your tone, it can mean different things.  So you can read it different ways as well, depending on your mood (and in part why smiley's exist, to help define meaning.... aka serious, sarcastic, etc).

Then you have the punctuation thing.
Let's have your sister over for dinner.
Let's have your sister over, for dinner.
they are not the same thing.  The second is an invite, the first involves cannibalism.  All due to a coma.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)