News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

"working well"

Started by Ken S, November 30, 2014, 11:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Check out this auction item, a Tormek unit "working well". Be sure to look at the photo of the side of the grinding wheel showing the nut completely rusted to the shaft.  Working well?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tormek-Super-Grind-2000-Water-Cooled-Grinder-Sharpener-Working-Well-/291291838923?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d258b9cb

Herman Trivilino

The grindstone alone is worth a lot, but it looks like it's been permanently rusted in place!
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

sharptoolsusa lists a replacement grindstone at $184 US. With the diameter of the one shown (8 1/4" reduced from 10"), IF the stone could be cleanly removed from the shaft, it might be worth maybe $100 (maybe). looking at the pictures, that looks iffy at best.

My original motivation for posting this was to point out that not all "bargain" Tormeks are really bargains. Whoever might purchase a unit like this will be disappointed. I have even seen unopened older units selling "with accessories" for the price of a new unit. Many of the "accessories" are actually included with new units. A ten or fourteen year old Tormek in good condition is probably as good a tool today as when it was new.  However, an older Tormek is not the same machine as a new unit. Including shipping, a new shaft and stone, stone grader and diamond dresser,this poorly maintained unit would cost just about the cost of a new unit. (more if one includes the present deal).

I don't fault the seller. That person seems to specialize in other things and probably does not realize the problems with this unit. I would fault them if they specialized in Tormek.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

I am sure you saw the other one on there, currently less, and in better shape (looked similar to how I bought mine, but mine came with less hand tool stuff, and more of the turning tool stuff).  As in so much in life, it is buyer beware.
I think a lot of us who visit this, would buy a second one, used, at the right price, for a different stone, just because.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

I did see that other unit. I'm not actually looking to buy, just taking the pulse of the market. most of what I see seems overpriced to me compared to new. I was fortunate enough to have bought my Tormek new from my local dealer. I added improvements such as the EZYLock shaft, a real improvement, and the new water trough as they came available. I did not feel, and still don't feel that I need to beware when dealing with a local trusted dealer and a stand up company. However, in the used market I would definitely beware.

Ken

jeffs55

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on December 02, 2014, 03:36:36 PM
I am sure you saw the other one on there, currently less, and in better shape (looked similar to how I bought mine, but mine came with less hand tool stuff, and more of the turning tool stuff).  As in so much in life, it is buyer beware.
I think a lot of us who visit this, would buy a second one, used, at the right price, for a different stone, just because.
Just as the fasted reload with a gun is to have a second gun, the fastest way to change stone grade is to have a second machine with the stone graded differently. I did it  and do not regret it except that I would not buy another machine except to have the coarse and fine graded Tormek stones on them. Mine has a 4000 grit Japanese stone and it is not necessary. I am not however, going to buy a third Tormek!
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: jeffs55 on December 03, 2014, 06:36:17 PM
Just as the fasted reload with a gun is to have a second gun, the fastest way to change stone grade is to have a second machine with the stone graded differently. I did it  and do not regret it except that I would not buy another machine except to have the coarse and fine graded Tormek stones on them. Mine has a 4000 grit Japanese stone and it is not necessary. I am not however, going to buy a third Tormek!

I can see how it would be nice to have two Tormeks, each mounted with a different grindstone. I do not see the advantage of having them outfitted with the same type of grindstone graded differently. The reason is because the grading doesn't last very long. If I have the grindstone graded fine, for example, it clogs up very quickly and I soon find myself reaching for the stone grader to refresh it. I'll grade it coarse to clean it up, and then follow that with a fine grading. Likewise if I have it graded coarse I have to keep refreshing it for the same reason, although not as often.

And if you think I'm wasting away my grindstone doing it this way, well, all I can say is I spent a decade on my first grindstone and broke it due to negligence long before it reached the end of its life. Now I just grind away. Trying to save the wear on the grindstone is like trying to save the wear on a brake shoe. Take care of the brake system and the brake shoe will last as long it's supposed to. Expect to eventually replace them.

Ken S

Herman, I believe Jeff probably means he keeps the Tormek 200/1000 grit wheel on one Tormek and the Tormek 4000 grit wheel on the second.

I believe many users, myself included, do not immediately adjust to the concept of using the stone grader right away. It seems like a lot of wear on the stone. It isn't. Once a new user has some actual usage time, the use and purpose of the stone grader becomes second nature.

Ken

jeffs55

You are both right. I do keep the 200/1000 on one and the 4000 on the other because I have to justify having the 4000. But, Herman busted my bubble as I did mean what he said. I am not convinced that he is correct but I do not use my Tormek as much as he probably does so I really should acquiesce to his thoughts.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

Good points, guys. Herman, I  like your comparison with the Tormek wheel and brake shoes. You hit that nail squarely on the head!

Jeff, you are not alone in bubble land. Many of us, myself included, overplan. I considered purchasing a second Tormek so that I would not have to switch back and forthwith the stone grader. More than a time saver, I did not want to wear out my grinding wheel. My intentions were all good. My logic was not so good. In reality, I simply must get both of those chisels and the plane blade sharpened today. And, even with heavy stone grader use, my grinding wheel will probably outlast me.

I think the best cure for Tormek bubbles is just using the basic Tormek as is. Instead of expansion planning, build efficiency through skill and experience.

still growing,
Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: jeffs55 on December 04, 2014, 05:46:37 AM
I am not convinced that he is correct but I do not use my Tormek as much as he probably does so I really should acquiesce to his thoughts.

The next time you have the grindstone fine graded so that you can sharpen one of your good knives, pay attention to how it feels when the knife first makes contact with the grindstone. Within just a few seconds there's a distinct change in the way it feels. There's less drag as the surface of the grindstone has become embedded with steel particles. Thereafter it feels more like a polish and less like a grind.

Ken S

Interesting observation, Herman. I will be aware of that the next time I sharpen my knives, which should be very soon.

Ken