News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek stand

Started by tonylumps, July 15, 2014, 12:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonylumps

http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z324/tonylumps/DSC00493.jpg                                                                                                                           I have been using this for awhile Until i could find something better.Height adjustable has wheeles and the color matches. But looking at the new Tormek stand and the price .Think I will stay with it .

Ken S

Clever stand, Tony.  Do the wheels lock securely enough to keep the stand steady?

Ken

tonylumps

Ken the wheels lock up tight.Just a tap locks and unlocks them. All of my power tools are on wheels That is #1 for me.

SharpenADullWitt

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/dept/TH/item/MS-SSS

This is what got my attention.  I have access to some equipment, via a friends restaurant (fixed various pieces of equipment over the years, he isn't mechanically inclined).  Costco has one (24" square) under $100 and I figure I can easily make drawers to size and keep everything together.  Also these type of tables, you can add wheels to.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

tonylumps

With the rotating base it would work great.But I think it would be a little to high for me.

jeffs55

Amazon has them for $849! Better hurry, I expect a rapid sell out at that price. NOT.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

tonylumps

Quote from: Ken S on July 15, 2014, 01:04:11 PM
Clever stand, Tony.  Do the wheels lock securely enough to keep the stand steady

tonylumps

Quote from: tonylumps on July 15, 2014, 12:51:20 PM
http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z324/tonylumps/DSC00493.jpg                                                                                                                           I have been using this for awhile Until i could find something better.Height adjustable has wheeles and the color matches. But looking at the new Tormek stand and the price .Think I will stay with it     
For  a long time

tdacon

Nice, Tony.

I built a sharpening bench with a pull-out drawer for the Tormek, and what I was trying for was for the slide-out drawer to position the Tormek just at the right height so that I could sit at it in a chair and sharpen kitchen knives. Unfortunately, as usual, things didn't work out the way I hoped and the machine's too low when it's pulled out, so I go ahead and put the Tormek on top of the bench and do them standing up and leaning back against a stool. Not quite as sweet as what you came up with, but it works.

Tom

Ken S

tonylumps,

"With the rotating base it would work great.But I think it would be a little to high for me."

I measured the thickness of my RB-180 rotating base.  It raises the Tormek about 7/8" (22mm). is that a problem?  If so, standing on a couple thicknesses of carpet samples or a piece of plywood would restore the original height.

Ken

tonylumps

My stand is set at 25" high. It is a perfect Height for me. I can look over the T7. That table is 34" high. That is what i was talking about Not the 1" of the Rotating base.34" is counter top Height to high I tried it.

SharpenADullWitt

One reason I like the idea of the metal table, is the legs could be cut down,
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

True, but I would try raising the floor (standing on a board) first, just in case your first thought isn't right. The famous New Yankee Workshop episode where Jeff rescued Norm from having dull tools produced a work station.  That work station featured a slide out step to raise the operator for using the vertical support position with knives.

Ken

Rob

Now that was in the days when television was worth watching :-)
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

Rob, I was hoping they would team up Jeff and Norm in an action packed adventure series.  Sadly, it didn't make it past the pilot.

Ken