News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

honing blades with a sanding sponge.

Started by Rhino, February 04, 2014, 07:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhino

I love my T7.  Use it all the time because I like to keep my blades razor sharp.

I also use a fine diamond coated honing rod between sharpenings in the home. 

Today I had a dull knife in the office.  I use it to cut fruit but it has gotten too dull. I was thinking about taking it home but then I also had a find sanding sponge from 3M.  I gave it a try.  The sanding sponge worked wonders. I'm no good with a sharpening stone but the sanding sponge got my knife sharp in no time.  I dare say it is better than the diamond coated honing rod.  Just sharing.  Has anyone else ever try this?

Rob

I've used sanding sponges on wood before but never on a blade.  Interesting idea :-) What make was it out of curiosity?
Best.    Rob.

Rhino

3M Sanding Sponge, Extra Fine, 3.75-Inch by 2.625-Inch by 1-Inch, 3-Pack

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Sanding-Sponge-3-75-Inch-2-625-Inch/dp/B00004Z487

I am using carbon knives at this time, I was taking a break, so then I used it all over the blade and got it nice and shiny too.  I've been overworked lately so I'm doing strange things during breaks.  FYI, I am self employed, so I am not cheating on my time.