News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Homemade Knife Rest (HK-50)

Started by Herman Trivilino, March 23, 2013, 05:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman Trivilino

Ken, the bracket for the original truing tool might be able to work to keep the platform from rotating downward, too.
Origin: Big Bang

Herman Trivilino

I was cleaning out the corner of the garage where all the scraps are piled up, and I found a sheet of plastic I'd forgotten I had.  I found it a few years ago in a pile of discarded building materials.  It has a thickness of 5/16" (8 mm).  The sheet is 48 3/8" (123 mm) wide, and I don't know what the length is because the piece I have is a cut off.  It has a protective sheet of paper glued on one side. 

So, I went out and bought a cheap plywood blade for my table saw (I'm not about to cut plastic with my good carbide tipped blade!).  The stuff cuts okay, and sands and drills well.  It also has very good rigidity and doesn't flex at the thin end like wood and aluminum does.  Anybody have any idea what this stuff is or what it's used for?

I used it to make the latest version of the HK-50.

I added a new feature, which is a small piece glued to the end used to index the platform so it's square to the scissors jig base.

In this photo the platform is set up to grind at a 10o bevel angle, which is about as small as it can go.

Mike Fairleigh

It's hard to say for sure what it is from the picture, but it could be UHMW plastic (ultra-high molecular weight).  That's what they use in cutting boards, fence faces, and all kinds of things that need to be somewhat slippery and wear resistant.
Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

Herman Trivilino

If it is, I've got about $500 worth of the stuff!

On second thought, that protective paper cover on one side may have a different purpose.  When I removed it it left behind a sticky residue on the plastic.  Maybe it's an adhesive.

I just conducted an experiment.  This stuff doesn't float in water!  We have a plastic cutting board and it does float in water. 

This sheet of plastic is about 4 ft by 4 ft and has been sitting in my garage for years.  I could make a lot of HK-50 jigs out of this stuff.

Right now I have no way of using this jig because with all of the jig-building and testing I've done in the last few weeks every knife in the house is sharp.  Maybe I should go calling on the neighbors.

Elden

Jeff shows you how to dull an edge on his chisel video!  ;)  I suppose if you want to be a little less violent, try shaving the grit off some sandpaper or emory cloth. Maybe cut that piece of steak while it's in your iron skillet. ;D
Elden

Herman Trivilino

One shortcoming of this jig is that the platform scratches the sides of the knives.  I didn't notice this until I started using the plastic platform.  Maybe other materials will not scratch so badly.

jeffs55

Is there any reason that the Torlok attachment cannot be used or any advantage to the scissors jig especially if you already have the Torlok? thanx
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Herman Trivilino

I don't own the Torlock jig so I can't say.  It has been tried but as I recall there were issues that weren't resolved.

Ken S

The Torlock should work. It is essentially a different shaped platform than the scissors jig.  I found it, like the scissors jig, needs a secondary platform. It never occurred to me to use the scissors jig platform until Herman posted it.  Either should work.

I have an idea which might possibly work to use the Torlock with no secondary platform.  It involves cutting my second Torlock.  (The first project didn't work on its own with no secondary platform.)  At this point I haven't decided whether to cut up the second jig or make a secondary platform.  I may wait until I have a lot of small blades to sharpen.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Herman Trivilino on April 09, 2013, 01:55:19 PM
One shortcoming of this jig is that the platform scratches the sides of the knives.  I didn't notice this until I started using the plastic platform.  Maybe other materials will not scratch so badly.

I tried a wooden version of the HK-50 that I had applied lacquer to about a week or two ago so it's thoroughly hardened.  It left scratches.  I'm thinking maybe some adhesive-backed felt applied to the top of the platform might be worth a try.

Elden

Herman, have you tried the felt?
Elden

Herman Trivilino

Not yet, Elden.  The felt I found at Lowe's is way too thick.  Got to look elsewhere.

Herman Trivilino

Someone saw my YouTube video and wants to know if I sell these jigs!

Rob

Quote from: Herman Trivilino on April 13, 2013, 03:40:28 AM
Someone saw my YouTube video and wants to know if I sell these jigs!

What did I say!!!
Best.    Rob.

Elden

Herman,

I did ask Kurt about the HK-50. I told him that I would try to leave him alone for a while after this question. :)

Hello Elden
I have not used any jig like the HK-50, but my opinion is that if the jig works as expected then it is ok and it does not matter what it looks like or who constructed it.
Feel free to construct or invent whatever jigs you think you need, for example I have made an addition to the Tormek for grinding cabinet scrapers. Many years ago I made a jig for holding my chip-carving knifes, it is just a piece of 6mm plywood that at one end can be attached on to the toolrest  and the other end has a small hook to hold the knifeblade.
Kurt Johansson
Elden