News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

"cheap tools for learning"

Started by Ken S, March 07, 2013, 04:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I have read several posts recommending using cheap tools for learning.  Although I see the logic of this advice, I disagree. 

While the paper cutting test an thumbnail test are certainly good indicators of sharpness, I believe the final test comes at the workbench or cutting board.  A wise cooking dictum states that one should never use a wine for cooking one would not drink.  I believe that should apply to using a Tormek, right from the start.  I'm not saying one should necessarily start with  the very best tools, however, the initial tools should at least be tools one would use in good work. 

The initial knife used with the Tormek should be the knife you use on a regular basis on your cutting board.  I was pleased to read the recent comment that "I do a lot of cooking".  That is so important; the feedback on your knives should come from you actually using them on a regular basis.

The same applies with chisels and other tools.  Whether your chisels are used for rough work of hand cutting dovetails, you should learn to use your Tormek using the actual field tools.  In theory this could shorten the tool life. In actual practice I believe we would learn more carefully and thoroughly using our good tools.

I was delighted to feel the results of finally becoming proficient with my knife jig.  My knives make easy work of tomatoes and onions.  (One also made a very sharp incision on one of my finger tips, not so good, but very sharp.)

Ken

Rob

I find cutting soft fruit and veg to be one of the great joys of having a Tormek.  When I go to someone else's house now....I hate having to use blunt knives :-)
Best.    Rob.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on March 07, 2013, 04:45:51 PM
I have read several posts recommending using cheap tools for learning.  Although I see the logic of this advice, I disagree. 

Well. perhaps we should instead say "not your best knife".
Origin: Big Bang

grepper

Got to agree with you Herman.  When I first started, I found it easy to remove enough metal so that the center portion of the edge was concave towards the spine.  This makes for problematic chopping on a cutting board.

Once that happens about the only way to get the knife to have full contact with the chopping surface again is to remove some of the return next to the heel.

While that can be an interesting project in itself, I surely have to agree with you when you said, "Well. perhaps we should instead say "not your best knife"."

Rob

Yes and from me

Ive done prescisely that concave shape thing when I started.  I wouldnt recommend a new user use his expensive knives as "lab rats"
Best.    Rob.

grepper

This is exactly the kind of useful information information we have been discussing that would be cool to have in the GSM (Getting Started Manual).

Sorry, @#%@ computers!

Would be really cool to have a sub-forum, or category, or sub-category, or board, child-board (as per SMF), or whatever you want to call that thing to stick it in!  :)

Ken S

Good point, Herman. Grepper and Ron, I had the same problem with my favorite (Henckel) paring knife.  As Ron Hock might say, it failed the green onion test.  (flat edge instead of a slight curve to allow rocking). 

"Not the best knife"--fine.  However, it should be a knife which you will regularly use on your cutting board. We need the use feedback.

Ken

grepper

Quote from: Rob on March 07, 2013, 04:53:54 PM
When I go to someone else's house now....I hate having to use blunt knives :-)

I'd look at that as an opportunity to find something else to sharpen!

I've sharpened, for free, a lot of knives for other people.  The only reward I care about is:  Well, how did it work?  Do you prefer a toothy or smooth edge?  Did it chop well?  Hey!  How 'bout slicing?  Did you slice?  Well, did you?  How about paring?  Did you do that? Did you pare? Huh?  Huh? Huh?  Please!  Just give me feedback!

And what about those hand pruners?  How'd those pan out?  Huh?

Herman Trivilino

Sort of like the neighborhood sharpening geek, eh?
Origin: Big Bang

grepper

More like desperation Herman.  All my stuff is sharp!  :'(

Rob

Hey man....I went to this party.....this dude offered me a knife jig.....he said just try it.....you only need one....you won't get hooked...just try it

Just say no kids......Tormek....just say no!
Best.    Rob.

Elden

I missed that part about using only the 1000 grit on knives on the first couple them that I did. Yes sir, that paring knife became narrower! Be sure that info is very visible in the Getting Started Manual!
Elden

Elden

This would be an interesting link to put in the Getting Started as avoiding initial pitfalls or such.

http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=158.0

I hope he continued on to learn to use it.
Elden