News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Alan Lacer skew

Started by Dick Parman, December 20, 2012, 12:32:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dick Parman

I am considering the purchase of the Alan Lacer
1 3/8 skew.  Will it fit in the T7's skew jig?

mski2

Hi, Nope, wont fit in svs 50 or se 76, I sharpen on tool rest.
I wouldn't let that prevent you from getting one , that skew its an amazing tool. That said get his video , I hated it until I got educated in the video on use and sharpening.
The dark side sweet side video he has.
Hope that helps
Mark

Dick Parman

Thanks Mark
I think I might get both the 5/8 and the 1 3/8.

mski2

I got both, love them. You wont be sorry. something about heavy and thick helps me have better control.
mark

Jeff Farris

Dick,

The smaller one will definitely fit the SVS-50. I'm glad someone was able to confirm that the larger one would not. 1-3/8 should be within the capacity, but if I remember from the last time this came up, it is too thick.
Jeff Farris

Ken S

Dick,

I just measured my SVS-50.  I don't have a Lacer skew, so this is a guess.  How close to fitting is the skew?  Looking at the closed seat, it looks like the constraint might be the wedge shape on the one side of the jig and the wedge on the bronze end piece.  If the wedges were filed out a bit, would the Lacer skew fit?

If this modification caused the closed seat not to work with the smaller skew, replacement parts from sharp tools would cost about $35, plus shipping.  If you like the big Lacer skew, I would consider the cost reasonable to have two different size closet seats.  I would not think that gingerly widening the opening would substantially effect the structural integrity of the jig.

Ken

mski2

It's close, I dont know how enlarging the opening would effect other tools afterwards,  that being said if you watch his video on sharpening  (which if you get one you should  , Its a different way of doing skews) freehand on a tool rest would be best, it will take practice. He suggests a slow speed dry grinder.
Happy New Year
Mark

marhk

Not to beat a dead horse - but: 8)

I recently ran into this problem with the larger Lacer skew.
Perhaps Tormek should consider slightly enlarging their sharpening jig because of this popular tool.
Yes, it almost fits!! >:(

Jeff Farris

Take the clamping pad off and try again.
Jeff Farris

marhk

Thanks for the reply.

Been there, done that - still won't fit.
I could open up the "v" end of the jig with a file.
Perhaps I will. Do you sell this part of the jig as a replacement part - so I can use it for my other skews?

Jeff Farris

If you're in the USA, check the SharpToolsUSA web site for replacement parts. It is now owned by Advanced Machinery, and I believe they keep all parts in stock.
Jeff Farris

Ken S