News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening Roughing Gouge with SVS-50 and TTS-100

Started by Philip1231, October 04, 2013, 01:47:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philip1231

I've had great results sharpening my roughing gouge using he SVS-50 jig. I also purchased the TTS-100 turning tool setter, and I was
wondering if it is possible to use this gauge to set the SVS-50 jig (instructions don't seem to cover this application). If not, any tricks on
getting repeatable results with the SVS-50. Thanks

Jeff Farris

Sharpen the Roughing Gouge to the angle you want, then make a block that just fits between the Universal Support and the grindstone. If you use the same protrusion from the jig each time, then adjust the Universal Support to the gauge block, you'll get the same angle each time.

Alternatively, set the Universal Support using the TTS-100 (either setting) and adjust the position of the jig on the tool until the correct bevel angle is achieved. Measure and record the protrusion and use it every time you sharpen. The advantage to this approach is that it won't change over time, and you Universal Support will often be in the right position, given the setting you use most of the time.
Jeff Farris

Philip1231

OK, thanks Jeff, I will try both approaches.  Appreciate the help.