News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Re:Not just for TORMEK -- LET'S TALK HANDTOOLS!

Started by mickow, December 17, 2003, 05:25:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickow

Interesting topic.  I am very excited about the skilled use of woodworking hand tools as much as possible, especially using quality tools that do a great job.  However, paradoxically, I am investigating the use of a powered sharpening system for sharpening, and minimizing the use of hand sharpening - be it with waterstones or sandpaper.  I read David Charlesworth's books, and he seems to get benefit from the older Tormek system.

David - any comment?

sjmbyrne

Having been a weekend wood-warrior for some years and relying on machines and powered tools to compensate for my lack of finer skills, I "discovered" David Charlesworth recently through references on the Fine Woodworking websit (www.taunton.com), and am in the process of enrolling on one of his courses on plane and chisel fettling and sharpening. In honour of this, I have splashed out on three tools from Lie Nielsen (almost costing more than the entire week long course with David). These are a 60 1/2 block plane, a no. 5 1/2 bench plane, and a large scraper no. 112. Which leads me to the question, before I learn how to do it from a master, what would you recommend as to the most fool-proof, idiot's guide approach for me to take to hone these tools?

???

Jeff Farris

Quote from: mickow on December 17, 2003, 05:25:12 AM
 However, paradoxically, I am investigating the use of a powered sharpening system for sharpening, and minimizing the use of hand sharpening - be it with waterstones or sandpaper.  I read David Charlesworth's books, and he seems to get benefit from the older Tormek system.

David - any comment?

Good point, however the justification is that you can spend your free time woodworking instead of sharpening.  I think that is the most common praise I receive from experienced owners -- that they have more time to enjoy their hand tools.  
Jeff Farris

davidcharl

Just to clarify my approach to sharpening.  I use the Tormek for grinding only, despite having had an excellent half morning's session with Torgny Yansson! :)

My sharpening is done on 800 and 8000grit waterstones.
;)

Many people who come on my courses have done irrepairable damage to the flat side/back of their blades before arrival.  Please beware of rounding the flat side on hollow waterstones, or even the scary sharp method.
David Charlesworth.

pnuthed

From my experience in world of fine wood working,  the top artisans I have observed put down the electrics and move to their "primitive" tools for the fine detail/finishing touches.  As with any skill (writing, walking) you need to practice.  The absolute keys to hand tools are sharpness and set-up.  As for planes, I prepare the base by wetsanding on float glass.  You will need to find an experienced craftsman (good luck) to learn how to set-up the iron/base.  Make sure you try the plane to know how it should feel in your hands.  I watched my guru take off an eight foot long shaving that you could see through form a 3/4" cherry board.

Remeber that woodworking is an art, not a production.  You have to work with the wood.  Hand tools give you the best feel for the wood.  If all else fails theres caulk!

Dan Williams

Good Idea!  This is my first message and I just bought my Tormek today for the express purpose of "cutting the plug" on all my tools, EXCEPT my new tormek.

Thanks,
Dan
I knew I was getting old when I looked down my arm and saw my Father's hands