News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New t4 or used super grind 200?

Started by Nickclick, January 31, 2019, 03:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichColvin

Quote from: jeffs55 on February 02, 2019, 05:59:37 PM
Do you find it necessary to use the SJ and the leather hone? I have seen it written that if you use the SJ you can forget the hone, it is the same thing. See the following for more opinions.  https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3384.0

Jeff,

There was a great debate on Fine Woodworking's podcast #178 about this. Bob Van Dyke advocated it whilst Mike Pekovich seemed to pooh pooh it.

My experience has been that stropping is especially useful when using the SJ-250 Japanese Waterstone for honing. I do not have finer stones (e.g., 12,000 grit Japanese waterstones), so stropping seems to cover that gap for me.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

cbwx34

Quote from: RichColvin on February 03, 2019, 01:26:30 PM
CB,

Carving tools have to be re-stropped often.  So much so that I've not seen the benefit of honing on the SJ stone to be worth the effort of getting up from the bench to go re-hone each time.  I re-strop right there on the bench as much as possible.

But that's been my experience. I'm interested in what others think.

Kind regards,
Rich

So 2 follow up questions... what makes you decide whether or not to strop a knife after the SJ wheel (it's a choice in your chart)... and why, on a carving knife can't you hone it once on a SJ wheel, then maintain it with a strop? (or put another way, is there no advantage... or even a disadvantage to using the SJ wheel on a carving knife?)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RichColvin

CB,

As for stropping a knife after the SJ wheel, to me it is a choice based on the purpose.  For my general purpose pocket knife, I don't.  But for my K-bar, I do.  I want that thing to be razor sharp for when I need to use it.

I don't use the SJ wheel on a carving knife.  But, if you did, it would be to use the SJ wheel to add a microlevel to the edge.  I usually just re-strop.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

cbwx34

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)