News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

cost effectiveness

Started by Ken S, April 15, 2013, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Reading about sharpening utility knife blades, which can be purchased by the hundred, I start to think of cost effectiveness.  I haven't bought a pack in a while, however, I would guess 5 USD would be a ball park price for a hundred pack.  Let's inflate that to a dime a blade to be generous.

If the small knife jig costs thirty USD, after 300 blades we break even (not counting the price of the Tormek itself).

Looking at the DBS-22 drill bit jig, which costs about 250 USD, and the cost of a new drill bit:  Using the Lee Valley catalog for good HSS bits, the middle of the range, 7/16", costs 7.30 USD.  That makes the cost of the jig approximately equal to 34 of the middle size bits.  Compared to 300 utility blades, the drill bit jig seems a bargain.

The other factor I consider is the amount of work involved in sharpening a tool.  A battered chisel can require considerable work to sharpen, as can a jointer or planer blade.  Sharpening drill bits well can require practice and skill.  Sharpening a small knife blade, while requiring enough skill to maintain a consistent bevel angle, does not require much work.  There just isn't much steel to remove.

I'm just musing out loud.  For the record, I think the small knife jigs, both the Ionut/Herman and the Tormek are a good idea.

Ken

Mike Fairleigh

Mike

"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 7 sharpening my axe."  --Abraham Lincoln

Brad I

Personally, I would never bother sharpening a utility knife blade. I consider those disposable (if you are talking the box-cutter type).

The drill bit sharpener has always puzzled me. It seems far too pricey unless you are sharpening professionally.  Seems much quicker and cheaper with mini files.

And in addition to the price of the tormek, there is a learning curve. I've been sharpening with stones for decades. Had my tormek for 5 years.  Took me a long time to get good with it and I still learn something almost every sharpening session.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Brad I on May 05, 2013, 06:14:24 PM
Personally, I would never bother sharpening a utility knife blade. I consider those disposable (if you are talking the box-cutter type).

Me, either, unless I was in a pinch.  Which has happened often.

QuoteThe drill bit sharpener has always puzzled me. It seems far too pricey unless you are sharpening professionally.  Seems much quicker and cheaper with mini files.

I agree, but then there are others who think it worth the cost.  There are times, though, when I'm tempted to get one.  Having precision sharpened drill bits makes using the drill an entirely new experience for me.  The same is true of chisels and plane irons.
Origin: Big Bang

Rob

we covered this before.....the folks who get the drill sharpener dont do it on the basis of the economic argument...for them its the sheer quality of the results they're after
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

If we are honest, we have all probably sharpened an occasional utility knife blade or two over the years.  And, in that same spirit of honesty, I will probably never show a profit from my DBS-22.......However, it does a very nice job on the drill bits!

Brad, I hope the newcomers read your post.  "And in addition to the price of the tormek, there is a learning curve. I've been sharpening with stones for decades. Had my tormek for 5 years.  Took me a long time to get good with it and I still learn something almost every sharpening session."  Your experience mirrors mine.  The Tormek is a very good tool, but, like most tools, comes with a learning curve.  It is refreshing to see I am not the only one still learning with every sharpening session.

Ken

Brad I

Quote from: Ken S on May 06, 2013, 02:29:16 AM
  The Tormek is a very good tool, but, like most tools, comes with a learning curve.  It is refreshing to see I am not the only one still learning with every sharpening session.

Nope, you're definitely not alone.  I did six Wustof steak knives the other day and there was a definite difference in my sharpening speed and quality on the last knife vs. the first.  It probably took 20 mins to do the first twice the last breezed through in less than 10 with a blade so nice you could carve walnut with it.

Ken S

Brad,

The most difficult tool I ever used was either my first 4x5 view camera or my C&H mat cutter.  I was clumsy with both.  It took quite a while to get ahead of the learning curve.  The frustration and effort was well worth it with both tools. 

Once I got used to the large wooden camera it spoiled me for any other camera.  The flexibility is incredible, as is the quality of the images.  The control is unreal.

With the mat cutter, six months of frustration turned in to being able to cut mats very precisely and also efficiently.

I don't believe many people know the satisfaction of reaching the summit after a long, frustrating climb.  whether the tool is a camera, a mat cutter, or a Tormek, the effort is well worth it.

I believe one beneficial thing to do along the way is to post on this forum.  Post your successes and your frustrations.  We can learn from each others' successes and it's reassuring to know there is plenty of frustration to be overcome.

Ken