News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Zero BESS reading Baloney?

Started by sharpening_weasel, November 14, 2022, 04:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickKrung

Quote from: sharpening_weasel on November 14, 2022, 04:00:31 PM
...snip...
Watching their technique, I don't see any slicing going on, just a straight push cut, but this still seems suspect to me. ...snip...

I hesitate to give this more air, but...  I had not looked at the video until now. 

One think I can say it the speed at which they push the knife onto the test media is WAY too fast.  It should be slow, deliberate.  I don't know how that might affect the sampling capability of the unit, but I can say it is bogus just due to the speed.  That and IF they have the media stretched really tight, lower readings are possible, but zero is silly to think real.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

HaioPaio

I have visited their website http://www.burrbenders.com and could not find such zero Bess claim there.
Non of the videos presented at the website shows zero Bess readings.
However, they show contact information and I feel it would be fair to ask them directly.

sharpening_weasel

Talked with the guy- he says that the BESS scale would round down if it reads under .5. I still find this number to be troubling- he states he uses a freehanded belt system.

3D Anvil

I was testing a knife yesterday and decided to check the effect of speed on the BESS tester. 

Results, using fulcrum in both cases:
slow test (3-4 seconds): 80g
fast test  (<1s): 25g

The BESS tester is a fantastic tool for improving honing technique, but only if you consistently use it the right way.  Same goes for comparing the results with other sharpeners.

Hans from Schleif Junkies sells a device he invented to ensure accurate, repeatable results.  It's kind of pricey, though.  I can get very repeatable results using the Edge on Up recommended method.  In addition, I think it helps to look straight-down on the media holder while doing the test to ensure that the blade is centered and perpendicular to the media.  My "B" model measures to the nearest 5g, and I consistently get repeatable results within that 5g margin 9/10 times.

sharpening_weasel

The fellow insists he's following protocols, and mentioned that he's been in correspondence with the BESS team as well. Interesting.

3D Anvil

He's definitely NOT following the procedure recommended by Edge on Up.  He doesn't use the fulcrum (which isn't critical), and he's doing the test way too fast, which is critical.  I can regularly score in the 10-25g range if I do the test the way he's doing it.  Valid readings would be in the 45-80g range.