News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

What degree should be used for 15" Planer blades

Started by r49miner, February 28, 2011, 04:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r49miner

I have a Jet 15" Planer.

What degree should you use if you mess up the original factory edge, using the SHV-320 jig?

Jeff Farris

Contact the planer manufacturer to determine the proper angle for each different brand of planer.
Jeff Farris

r49miner

I thought maybe someone would know on here, sorry my mistake.

ionut

If I remember correctly the angles for the planners and jointers are usually between 40 and 50 degrees, but Jeff was right different manufactures may choose different angles based on the machine characteristics and blade thickness and width so it would be safer. iI the angle is too steep and the motor not powerful enough it may put more strain on it. How badly have you messed your blades? If there is any trace of the old bevel you can use the marking method to setup the jig and go from there.

Ionut

Jeff Farris

The one factor that Ionut left out of his post is the angle in the cutterhead at which the blade is mounted. This has the most profound impact on the blade angle and varies widely from one manufacturer to the next. The range of 40 - 50 is in the ball park for most planer designs. Anything that matches within a couple degrees plus or minus is going to work fine. Your surface finish will suffer if you go too short. Your edge life will suffer if you go too long.
Jeff Farris

r49miner

I would like to thank everyone for their input. Jeff was right to refer me to the manufacturer if he does not have my type of planer. This is what I found out, there are actually two angles on my blades. For a 15" Jet Planer Model# JWP-15CS.

Tech support recommends 40 degrees on the front side and 42 degrees on micro bevel for tip of blades.

Again thanks for the replies.

Ken S

I thought I would wait until your basic question was answered before interjecting this.  Brian Burns has written a very good short book about double bevel sharpening.  Brian is a guitar maker, who has to work with wood subject to a lot of tearout.  He has developed (not invented, he traces the idea back to 1825) some fine sharpening techniques using double bevels (the second bevel being on the back of the blade).

His book discusses bevel angles for planer and jointer blades, including how to determine the angles.  his website is: lessonsinlutherie.com

The book is about fourteen dollars, including postage.  Brian is good about answering emails.

I believe you would find his book a useful reference.  A recent article in Fine Woodworking referred to Brian's book, but merely scratched the surface.  The book has a lot of good information.

Ken