News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Frontal vertical base - my alternative

Started by jvh, November 24, 2019, 01:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jvh

Quote from: Merx27 on March 23, 2021, 03:11:21 PM
I did something similar but used M12 200mm (partially threaded) bolts which turned out to be too long as they got in the way of measuring my USB height in the vertical base so I trimmed some off as I have never yet needed to extend the FVB away from the Tormek casing

Hello,

nice and simple version, doable with basic tools only.

As I wrote before, full threaded rod(s) does not make sense to me, because if you pull the FVB out of the Tormek casing, you must always measure the distance anyway. In addition, the typical external dimension of the M12 thread is around 11.8 mm, which causes the FVB wobbling during adjustment and you risc non-paralel setting of USB...

jvh

Nico

Late to this thread, but impressed with your design jvh, thank you for posting it. I think this is going to be my next project! A question regarding how the adjusting rings are secured. I can't quite see from the photos, but it looks like you have drilled (radially) and tapped these collars and secure them with pointed grub screws (whose tips "mate" against the grooves in the guide tubes). Is that correct?