News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Garden shears

Started by wallydouglas, August 21, 2020, 03:41:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallydouglas

Hi Tormek community
Im a new owner of a t8 and slowly finding my way with the machine, finding new and challenging tools to sharpen daily
Today ... i have a pair of garden shears to sharpen... they have a wave blade on them and wondering how i go  about sharpening and they dont seem to open up much so do i have to take apart
Thanks in advance
Great to be a new owner of this fab machine
Ps where do i go to get a tormek cap?

cbwx34

Quote from: wallydouglas on August 21, 2020, 03:41:19 AM
Hi Tormek community
Im a new owner of a t8 and slowly finding my way with the machine, finding new and challenging tools to sharpen daily
Today ... i have a pair of garden shears to sharpen... they have a wave blade on them and wondering how i go  about sharpening and they dont seem to open up much so do i have to take apart
Thanks in advance
Great to be a new owner of this fab machine
Ps where do i go to get a tormek cap?

You might look at Rich Colvin's site: 

http://sharpeninghandbook.info/index.html

...he has tips on sharpening various items.

(Not sure what a "tormek cap" is)?
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RickKrung

CB's recommendation to look at Rich's sharpening handbook is a good one.  And ditto-ing his question, what is a "Tormek cap".

What is a "wave blade".  Photos of it would help. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

micha

As for the cap - do you think of a basecap like that? https://brusnekameny.cz/en/tormek-promo-clothing/3502-tormek-baseball-cap.html

Another option is to order part TS-740, which is a bit more pricey, but you get a free sharpening station as a giveaway. ;)
Mike

cbwx34

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

wallydouglas

Thanks guys
I successfully sharpened the shears and was very happy with the results, i did however have trouble removing all of the surface rust  but they had been rather neglected, if you guys have any tips to remove surface rust would love to hear it
Was a great afternoon in the garden on a beautiful spring afternoon
Cheers for the cap info

RichColvin

I have one of those hats!  Got it at the Atlanta AAW symposium from Stig.  (He said I had to wear it the whole conference, so I did.)

Fits nicely, looks great !
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ukfraser

To get rid of surface rust I use Liberon 1 grade wire wool in oil (3in1) and then lightly oil with liberon lubricating wax.
Also oil the shears after use.

The only time ive run into an issue with the lubricating wax is on my leigh d4 where im having to tighten the fingers more than i used to but it seems to keep off the rust.

Have you checked out the on line sharpening recordings?
https://www.tormek.com/uk/en/about-tormek/tormek-live-sharpening-classes/

John_B

Quote from: wallydouglas on August 22, 2020, 01:20:26 AM
Thanks guys
I successfully sharpened the shears and was very happy with the results, i did however have trouble removing all of the surface rust  but they had been rather neglected, if you guys have any tips to remove surface rust would love to hear it
Was a great afternoon in the garden on a beautiful spring afternoon
Cheers for the cap info

I have these in my workshop. It is amazing how often they are used:

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Eraser-Sabitoru-Medium-2-piece/dp/B00FS0BFJC
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

Wally,
I second John's rust eraser recommendation. I've had a set of rust erasers in my shop for twenty five years. They are great helpers for lots of jobs, must have items!
Ken