News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

BESS Tester

Started by Josu V, December 30, 2019, 06:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeK

I was considering ordering the PT-50A, but the ecommerce link on the edgeonup website returns a "Page Not Found" error for me.  I would appreciate it if someone could verify that this link works, as it might be due to a block of European IP addresses.

RickKrung

In post #3 of THIS thread, Mike Brubacher, owner of Edge-On-UP provide his direct email address so that questions of any sort could be sent directly to him.  I think this matter deserves such an action.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

MikeK

Thanks, Rick.  I sent an email to Mike before I posted here.  I hoped someone would be able to test the ecommerce link to see if it worked for them.  If so, then this would rule out a bad link and would likely indicate a problem with European IP addresses.  Not to jump to conclusions yet, but some U.S. vendors block European IP addresses because of the GDPR compliance requirements.  It seems to be easier to block than conform.

Ken S

Hi, Mike K.
I had the same page not found redirected message from Ohio USA. Mike Brubacher is a longtime friend and a friend of the forum. Here is his reply to my email:

Thanks for looking out for me Ken - much appreciated. This guy did email me and I responded to him. I'm in India right now and our online store is closed until mid next week but do not understand the page not found thing and won't until I return next week. Could you cover me with a post on Tormek letting them know that I'm on it? I just hate people thinking that we might be unresponsive to these sorts of issues.

Thanks,

Mike

MikeK

Thanks, Ken!  I received an email from Mike and will wait until he returns. I'm not in a hurry.

Josu V

Hi.
Normally there is no problems with Spanish customs... (normally)

Sincerely, my only one problem is the money that I must pay in customs...
Taxes: 21% (IVA), Customs Tariff: between 10 to 20%, Customs Clearance 15 to 35€. All taxes are applied to value of product and value of shipping.

Any case, probably next week, the PT50A will be in my hands  :) .

Regards
Abusus non tollit usum

John_B

Quote from: Josu V on February 02, 2020, 12:03:06 PM

Hi.
Normally there is no problems with Spanish customs... (normally)

Sincerely, my only one problem is the money that I must pay in customs...
Taxes: 21% (IVA), Customs Tariff: between 10 to 20%, Customs Clearance 15 to 35€. All taxes are applied to value of product and value of shipping.

Any case, probably next week, the PT50A will be in my hands  :) .

Regards

I thought taxes in Illinois were excessive.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

kwakster

Europe is worse.
Many countries within the EU are basically communist disguised as democracies.

Oldhand

The only other thing I'd add, is especially if shipping is an issue, you're going to get 300+ tests out of a single roll of their test material (this is from memory, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong - if I recall, 300 is on the conservative side). Judge what you think you'll need in an appropriate amount of time and order enough to get you by. Shipping could be more than the reasonably priced spools.

Josu V

Quote from: Oldhand on February 03, 2020, 08:46:46 AM
The only other thing I'd add, is especially if shipping is an issue, you're going to get 300+ tests out of a single roll of their test material (this is from memory, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong - if I recall, 300 is on the conservative side). Judge what you think you'll need in an appropriate amount of time and order enough to get you by. Shipping could be more than the reasonably priced spools.

Oh, yes. I have ordered one unit of PT50A and one TM02 Tests Media canister.
Your memory is good. Test media canister have test media for, about, 325 tests.

I will keep informing  ;D

Abusus non tollit usum

Josu V

At Last !!!!

The past week, the Bess Tester arrived.
Definitively, Spanish Customs do not have shame... But, better to forget.

The Bess Tester is in my hands, and today i had the oportunity of use it.
Three or four times have get the correct use of the way to change the  test thread. The first time I put the thread,  it was very loose. But finally, I obtained the perfect tension.
I used a Gillette Razor blade to test the tension. A little bit of practice is necessary.

Today I compared one mainstream knife in very bad state (917 Bess score) before an after and finally obtained a small smile  ;D

Abusus non tollit usum

John_B

Josh

Here is a video that may be of interest to you. It is a simple DIY device for getting repeatable tension on the cord. A side benefit is that it reduces the cord you use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO7m-h-oOCQ
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

van

Hi Josu V,
Why did you choose the PT-50A instead of the PT-50B perhaps the degree of resolution? or other.
Regards
Kindly yours

Ken S

My BESS tester is the PT50, an earlier version of the PT50B. For my use, it is quite adequate.I have no wish to replace it, however, if I was buying one today, although the PT50B is very adequate, I would opt for the PT50A with its more sensitive reading scale.

Ken

Josu V

Quote from: john.jcb on March 04, 2020, 07:30:56 PM
Josh

Here is a video that may be of interest to you. It is a simple DIY device for getting repeatable tension on the cord. A side benefit is that it reduces the cord you use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO7m-h-oOCQ

Thank you John. Very interesting idea and very simple. With this system you can wing 10 or 20% more tests that if you put the thread with your fingers...

Quote from: van on March 04, 2020, 09:08:58 PM
Hi Josu V,
Why did you choose the PT-50A instead of the PT-50B perhaps the degree of resolution? or other.
Regards

Hi Van. The resolution was not the reason of choose A model. Only two points of resolution I think may not be the reason to buy A model.
I think that the correction made by the Bess Tester is two points up or down. Two points are cero and three points are Five in B model (I think...)

The difference is in refresh rate. The PT50 A model reads the weight 25 times per second (PT50 B model, do 10 tps). This, eliminate the possibility of read error if the knife falls very quickly.

Quote from: Ken S on March 04, 2020, 11:41:40 PM
My BESS tester is the PT50, an earlier version of the PT50B. For my use, it is quite adequate.I have no wish to replace it, however, if I was buying one today, although the PT50B is very adequate, I would opt for the PT50A with its more sensitive reading scale.

Ken

As you can see, this time I don´t exactly agree with you  ;D.

Only two gr is the difference between real score and displayed score in PT50 B model. When PT50 B show score of 100, you know that the maximum difference with the real score can be 2 points. Really don´t know if the score is lower or higher than the real, but never may be greater than 2.
I think that is more interesting the refresh rate difference between this models.

Other reason to buy A model is... a little whim  ;D

Regards
Abusus non tollit usum