News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SB-250 Blackstone and planer blade sharpening

Started by ONO, February 10, 2017, 11:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONO

What is a good procedure for honning a HSS planer blade after sharpening with the Blackstone?

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, ONO.

I held back posting on this because I have not sharpened any planer blades. I contacted support in Sweden. Our support team is presently attending a trade fair in Germany, so I will post. The standard method is to use the leather honing wheel, just like other blades. Due to the length of the blades, this is done hand held. Working carefully, you should have no problem.

I recently tested 80 and 180 grit grinding wheels. Going directly from the wheel to the leather honing wheel, I was amazed with the difference in sharpness.

Keep posting!

Ken

ONO

Hi Ken,

Thanks for replying.

My English vocabulary in this field is not very great: When you sharpen a steel edge on the rotating sharpening stone you get this rough steel "fringe" or what you call it, on the other side of the edge. If you try to rid this fringe by honning away from the edge on the honning wheel, my experience is that the fringe just jumps over to the other side of the edge. This goes on and on, and you really never get rid of it. To get rid of it you need a honning stone and you need to hon towards the edge. Does this make any sense to you?

Ken S

Hi, ONO.

Your English is fine. We usually call the fringe the "burr". With the Tormek, we usually remove the burr by using the leather honing wheel charged with Tormek Honing Compound. Make sure you use the leather honing wheel turning away from the edge. Going back and forth between the bevel and back side of the blade should remove the burr.

Do you have a copy of the Tormek handbook in your first language? If not, contact support (support@tormek.se). The handbook is available in several languages.

No not hesitate to ask questions. That is how we all learn.

Ken

ONO

Thank's a lot, Ken. I suspect that you are Swedish, and I am Norwegian, but for the sake of the international community we'll stick to English.

Yes I've got the user manual together with the complete T7 package. Burr, I'll remember that! In Norwerian: grad.

Best regards

ONO

Rob

LOL....there you are Ken...you're an honourary Scandinavian :-)
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

I'm honored. According to my genealogical DNA test, I am 17% "Danish". I think my Viking ancestors decided to stay put in England after so many raids.

By the time I came along, the Vikings had settled in New Jersey. Yous guys are all right!

Ken

Jan

Ken, maybe your predecessors were sharpening the famous Wiking swords. That is a very good prerequisite for your current function.  :)

Jan

Ken S

Jan, if they were, we probably still have them somewhere; my family never throws anything away. :(

I recall a well done fascinating tv documentary on Viking swords. They were not native to Scandinavia.

Ken

ONO

Ken, using a coarse grindingstone I'd imagine you produce a serious burr. Don't you wear away your leather honing that rough stuff?

Ken S

Good point, ONO. I tried going directly from the 180 grit CBN wheel to the leather honing wheel out if curiosity for the test. I would not normally do that. It is a quick trick to get a sharp edge again.  The leather honing wheel does a quick job of light work. If need be, the leather honing wheel is replaceable, just like the grinding wheel.

I am not an active turner. The CBN wheel works very well for heavy grinding and reshaping. I think I would do routine touch up sharpening of turning tools with the standard SG-250.

Ken