News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Knife jig à la T2

Started by Jan, January 15, 2017, 08:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan

Wolfy, you may be correct, I have not tested all possible arrangements. It also depends on the desired bevel angle. It is easier to get the necessary handle clearance for 15° than for 20° bevel angle.  ;)

I have chosen the horizontal position because it provided larger handle clearance for quite compact solution i.e. the USB was not too far from the stone.  :)

Jan

WolfY

I was thinking of vertical with a block of 30mm width and 50mm deep, profiled according to the wheel/ knife sharpening angle etc... that will move the USB out.
I do consider to try to cut a SVD-110 to 30mm and produce it that way.
Giving an advice is easy.
Accepting an advice is good.
Knowing which advice is worth adopting and which not, is a virtue.

Jan

I'm curious about your solution, it can work well but it needs to solve a few details. Your idea to profile the spacer block according to the wheel is correct.

Consider how you will set the bevel angle also. Using the Anglemaster I set the angle of the bracket base (shown in red in the attached picture). For a 15° bevel angle I set the angle setter at 75° for the bracket base because 15° = 90° - 75°.  ;)

If you direct the red line towards the stone axis you will theoretically sharpen an infinitely sharp edge with a 0° bevel angle!  8)

Good luck and keep us posted!  :)

Jan

WolfY

I looked at it again and came with same conclusion as I had 1/2 year ago.
For practical usage a pivot point should be established at...........
Same as on the T2. A jig that is needed could be made of round profile bent and used as USB in it's original base on the machine. I can also think of other ideas to bring the pivot point to the right place. Tormek has the resources to built it if they would like to invest in this. I left the idea long ago.
For me the T2 is not a good alternative yet, as the magnet problem is not solved. Placing a magnet near the knife resulting in magnetised knife with lots of metal dust on it, is wrong in a food environment.
Giving an advice is easy.
Accepting an advice is good.
Knowing which advice is worth adopting and which not, is a virtue.