News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Marker method

Started by mdelgado, April 27, 2015, 01:42:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdelgado

Using the marker method, I was trying to replicate an existing angle.  When i ran the wheel by hand, the wheel contacted the middle, not "tip to heel" as required in the manual.  If I adjust the height, I can get it to contact the tip to the middle, or the middle to the heel, but not the entire bevel.  Should I just work on the tip and not work on the rest of the bevel?  Thx.

SharpenADullWitt

Sounds like you may have a high spot on the chisel already.  Put a flat edge across it to see; if you do you won't get tip to heel. (new tools can have high spots, so can poorly maintained old ones)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

I would aim for the middle, watching carefully. Grinding should expand in both directions.

Ken

Ken S

The Anglemaster is an essential tool for setting bevel angles. The Turning Tool Setter is the cat's meow for setting and maintaining bevel angles with turning gouges. I am also partial to the Kenjig for quick and repeatable knife and other tool set up. Mastering Dutchman's trig tables is time well spent, too.

However, i believe the humble marker is our most reliable method of matching an existing bevel angle. Learning this simple method should happen on Tormek day one and every Tormek work station should have two markers, "an heir and a spare".

Ken

Rob

heir and a spare made me chuckle :-)
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

I'm glad you had a chuckle. I confess I stole the phrase from you guys. :)

Ken

Rob

well I've not heard that one before...nice :-)
Best.    Rob.

Ken S

I'm sure Rob caught the meaning of "heir and a spare" but some of you might not. It refers to the British royal family having two children, an heir and a spare.

Ken